Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K10D-K20D Lightroom Presets 20081120

OVERVIEW

I have been working on developing two Lightroom Presets. Both are designed for use with the K10D and the K20D and match the color profile of both cameras.

K10D-K20D CS-CB.lrtemplate -- Contrast Basic (CB) produces RAW output somewhat consistent with standard JPG output for additional postprocessing in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.0 or later.

K10D-K20D CS-CE.lrtemplate -- Contrast Enhanced (CE) produces RAW output automatically adjusted for Brightness, Contrast, Exposure, and Shadows for additional postprocessing in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.0 or later. CE gives a rendering closer to what was actually seen in about 95% of shots tested.

REQUIREMENTS

Both of these presets require that Adobe Camera Profiles Beta 2 be installed in Lightroom.

The new Adobe Standard and Camera Matching camera profiles require Lightroom 2.0 or later. In general, they can be used in any raw converter that supports DNG 1.2. These camera profiles will NOT work correctly with earlier versions of Lightroom (i.e., LR 2 public beta, 1.4.1 and earlier). Please note that the new profiles will NOT work correctly with the public beta of Lightroom 2. Only the release version of Lightroom 2 will load and process the new profiles properly.

These camera profiles only work with raw files. They do not apply to already-rendered images such as TIFF or JPEG files.

DOWNLOADS AND INSTALLATION

Download camera profiles beta 2 (updated October 22, 2008):

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs_cameraprofiles

To install the profiles, first be sure to quit Photoshop and Lightroom. Then run the installer software and follow the on-screen instructions. Once the installer has successfully finished, you should be able to use the new profiles.

Once you have installed Adobe Camera Profiles Beta 2, you can download the two Lightroom Presets: (I suggest you unzip them in a temporary folder). You will find the link for download at the end of this posting.

To install the presets, start Lightroom 2.0 and go to the Develop Module. Next create a New Preset Folder called #K10D-K20D Base. Right click on the #K10D-K20D Base folder. Left click on Import. Select K10D-K20D CS-CB.lrtemplate and K10D-K20D CS-CE.lrtemplate from the folder where you unzipped them. Press the import button. The new presets are now available to use.

IF YOU ARE USING LIGHTROOM 2.2, YOU SHOULD UPDATE THE VERSIONS POSTED ON PAGE 2 OF THIS THREAD.

Last edited by mithrandir; 11-07-2009 at 01:45 PM.
11-20-2008, 12:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Someone on dpreview was just asking about a profile to start raw files off to look like the in camera jpegs. I think this will be quite popular and I look forward to checking it out. It is too late for me to dive into this tonight. I only have ACR beta 1 in lightroom right now. Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow to get everything downloaded and installed. I am excited to check out what you've come up with.
Thank you very much for sharing!
11-20-2008, 01:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Which camera calibration do we use now? Adobe standard beta 2 or Camera standard beta 2?
11-20-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Camera Standard Beta 2 has the very latest color adjustment tweaks. I plan on following any future changes with appropriate updates to the two presets above.

Last edited by mithrandir; 11-20-2008 at 01:33 PM.
11-20-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Many thanks for this!
11-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
thx a lot for sharing ! the CE preset is really nice.
11-20-2008, 09:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You are all most welcome. Hope you enjoy.

11-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't tell you how many times I have downloaded presets offered up by people who claim they help or enhance an image. But I always give them a shot because I'm too lazy to come up with my own.

Mithrandir, you have come up with a winner in my book. The CE version works wonderfully. I've tride it and I like it. No deleting here...

I have posted a picture, shot in RAW, that is nothing more than an underexposed snapshot of a local park. The first is an OOC jpeg conversion in Lightroom 2.1 and the second is nothing more than using the CE preset designed by Mithrandir.

Thank you again....

11-21-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

mithrandir;.. do the presets work in 1.4 or just 2.0? JIMBO
11-21-2008, 11:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Both of my presets will work in LR 1.4 but without the benefits of the Adobe Camera Profile Beta 2 fine tuning. It simply ignores applying the adobe profile. You could apply 4.4 from the Camera Profile if you need to after applying the preset.
11-22-2008, 04:32 PM   #11

Thanks for the very useful presets!

Hello,
I have downloaded and tried out the presets for a lot of very various scenes tonight, and I'm quite impressed. The standard "Pentax profile" in Ligntroom tends to render too much pink - your presets give more natural colours in most cases, and quite often one click is enough - no more ajustments needed. Sometimes I find the result is a bit too bright or a bit too contrasty with the -CE-setting, while the -CB setting reneders the images too dark. But this is quickly ajusted, and the result is genereally pleasing with very little effort.

Thanks a lot for your sharing!

Best regards
SEToien
11-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. Personally, I use the -CE settings most often. The -CB settings seem to work best on those shots where I have majorly overexposed. As SEToien noted both can be quickly adjusted to personal tastes and that is what I was aiming for with the presets. I was trying to not only get in the ball park but in the correct section of the ball park. The individual seats are up to those using the presets. By the way, I have been trying -CE on some jpgs that I took with a Panasonic FZ-20 and it does wonders for them also, who would have thought it would work, but it does!!!
11-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by FuzzyOne Quote
I can't tell you how many times I have downloaded presets offered up by people who claim they help or enhance an image. But I always give them a shot because I'm too lazy to come up with my own.

Mithrandir, you have come up with a winner in my book. The CE version works wonderfully. I've tride it and I like it. No deleting here...

I have posted a picture, shot in RAW, that is nothing more than an underexposed snapshot of a local park. The first is an OOC jpeg conversion in Lightroom 2.1 and the second is nothing more than using the CE preset designed by Mithrandir.

Thank you again....

Here's a simple click on Picasa (feeling lucky) from the first image.

Last edited by magnum1; 11-22-2008 at 07:57 PM.
11-22-2008, 08:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've now had time to download the Adobe Camera Profiles Beta 2 and your presets. I am very impressed with the presets you've made. I'm kind of a preset junkie, have far too many and I really should delete some that I don't use. But there is always some photo that I use a preset for that is a good starting point for that particular image and I like having options. Your presets are the best I've used so far for a good starting point. It makes a big difference to have a good starting point at the very least and these two presets do it for me. I like both of them and have found that they are equally as effective depending on the raw file I start with.
Thank you very much for your work in creating these and the generous offer of sharing them.
12-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thank you for these presets!! I'm the proud and happy owner of a K20D and am having a blast learning and playing. Along with the K20D, I'm getting up to speed on Lightroom 2.1. I'm getting better at adjusting RAW images, but your CE preset is awesome and is going to save me so much time!! Thank you for this!!