Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-03-2021, 02:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Copy Not Move in Lightroom

How do I copy photos to an external hard drive in lightroom? I can move them but I am not sure how to copy them so that the photos would be both on the drive and in lightroom. Thanks

04-03-2021, 02:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can set up an export to the drive as full size dng.

If you need them mapped back to the catalogue be sure to tick the “add to catalogue “ box in the export dialogue.
04-03-2021, 03:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is the purpose of the copy? And do you want them to be part of the catalog after the move?

If you are just trying to make a backup of the images to an external drive then just copying them through the operating system is fine. Or better yet use a sync program like GoodSync to do it and then you can keep the external drive synced up to your main drive.

If you are just making a one time copy of a subset of images then exporting them as full size jpeg or as DNG will work.
04-04-2021, 02:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bscott Quote
How do I copy photos to an external hard drive in lightroom? I can move them but I am not sure how to copy them so that the photos would be both on the drive and in lightroom. Thanks
A good source of LR info can be found here: Lightroom Killer Tips - Lightroom Presets, Videos, Tips and News
Another source is YouTube. Just ask your ‘How to...?’ In the search bar and pick your answer.

Cheers... M

04-04-2021, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The thing to understand is that the physical location of files on your computer and whether they are or are not imported into the LR library are completely separate things.

There is no such thing as a file "stored in LR". There is only a "file on the computer that has been added to the LR library"
04-05-2021, 06:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your helpful and quick replies. The Pentax Forum is the best.