Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-04-2021, 08:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What to expect from K3 iii and various processing programs?

For the first time, I will be an early adopter with the K3 iii. That leads me to worry that photo processing programs may not be able to process images from the new camera when it first arrives on my doorstep. My LR license lapsed a few months ago and I am now happily using ON1 Photo Raw 2021, but my question also applies to all the other photo software that people use.
  • Will DNG work out of the box?
  • Will jpegs work?
  • If they work, will there be limitations until the software catches up with the new camera?
  • Do we know what software, if any, ships with the K3iii?

04-04-2021, 08:48 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
If they work, will there be limitations until the software catches up with the new camera?
Do we know what software, if any, ships with the K3iii?
Changes in Pixel Shift might not be covered.

The manual says only Digital Camera Utility 5 is included. The last update was 12 March 2020. If no updates are released around the time the K-3iii starts shipping then there probably wasn't a change to Pixel Shift that needs post-processing software updates.
04-04-2021, 08:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ouch! Forgot that RAW file conversion specific to the new model camera probably won't be available in various software for a while! No problem with JPEG, the camera does the conversion. I'll research a bit for PEF/DNG conversion.
04-04-2021, 09:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Changes in Pixel Shift might not be covered.

The manual says only Digital Camera Utility 5 is included.
Interesting. The manual also says DCU5 is installed on the camera (p.98). I don't think that was mentioned in the K3 or K1 manuals. It had never occurred to me that the in-camera developing software would be DCU5.

---------- Post added 05-04-21 at 02:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vrphoto Quote
Ouch! Forgot that RAW file conversion specific to the new model camera probably won't be available in various software for a while! No problem with JPEG, the camera does the conversion. I'll research a bit for PEF/DNG conversion.
I'm hoping DNG will work, but don't expect PEF to be supported for a while.

04-05-2021, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why would DNG from the camera not be supported? That’s always been a plus to me, that a Pentax DSLR can be set to shoot in a generally supported raw format readable by all sorts of software. Same goes for JPG, no special software needed surely?
04-05-2021, 12:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are some K3 iii sample pictures online already, but I couldn't find one single PEF-file to download. Does anybody know a source by chance? I'm aware there is no updated raw converter software available yet, but I'd like to tinker a bit to see if I could get a usable picture out of a K3 iii PEF anyway.
04-05-2021, 12:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't see why PEF format wouldn't be demosaiced either, that is, the conversion of 0/1 to viewable colour.

My experience is with Lightroom/ACR, and versions of these are continually being upgraded to "support" new camera models.

But I don't know what makes the difference between (say) K1 and K1vII. Hmm, maybe it's the camera profile/calibration that changes, and the lens corrections that depend on the camera that the lens is attached to? That is, after demosaicing, and therefore able to be updated manually.

(and I thought that I knew everything I needed to know about LR , this has me scratching my head)

04-05-2021, 02:17 AM   #8

Pentax cameras' capability of in-camera RAW conversion into TIFF enables pentaxians to skip the use of RAW converters altogether, what with the cameras' fine conversion adjustment options and highly processable TIFF output format. At least as a temporary way out till profiles for the new camera appear.
In certain shooting modes - B&W for example (surprisingly good in recent Pentax cameras) - in-camera TIFF conversion may really yield sufficient quality for further post-processing directly in PS, streamlining workflow.

It is also possible any day to run those TIFFs through your favorite RAW converter first - for primary color grading etc.

This feature in Pentax cameras makes them even more convenient - you can both fine-tune TIFFs and keep the initial RAWs for future. Unlike Nikon D850 (considered the 'pinnacle of DSLRs' by some) which shoots either RAW or TIFF, but in-camera conversion from RAW is not there. I've my doubts that pinnacle has not been reached yet, and it won't be a Nikon at the end of the day...)
04-05-2021, 03:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have checked with the experts at the Lightroom Queen's forum - to quote -

If you shoot in DNG, then Lightroom will be able to import and edit these raw files right from the start. If you shoot in PEF, you will have to wait for an update before Lightroom can even import them.

(I've asked for the reason, 'cos I'm curious)

Can't speak for other RAW processors.

I may be mistaken, but TIFFS are not created by the camera's software, only JPGS (demosaiced, processed and compressed) and RAW in either DNG or PEF format (almost totally unprocessed and uncompressed - "almost" because of the high-ISO stuff that I don't feel a need to come to grips with )

Anyway, it's all highly theoretical until the kit arrives
04-05-2021, 03:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Why would DNG from the camera not be supported? That’s always been a plus to me, that a Pentax DSLR can be set to shoot in a generally supported raw format readable by all sorts of software. Same goes for JPG, no special software needed surely?
I think the same
04-05-2021, 03:52 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by vrphoto Quote
I may be mistaken, but TIFFS are not created by the camera's software, only JPGS (demosaiced, processed and compressed) and RAW in either DNG or PEF format (almost totally unprocessed and uncompressed - "almost" because of the high-ISO stuff that I don't feel a need to come to grips with )
Oh, yes, Pentax really is that advanced.) Conversion into TIFF has been successfully tried in practice in the K-1, and refer to page 92 of K-3iii's manual

This said, the in-camera TIFF is 8 bit only, and it's slightly inferior quality compared to the same 8 bit TIFF converted in Digital Camera Utility 5 from the same RAW. If you want to work in16 bit, you'll have to switch in PS (in-camera TIFFs).

Last edited by Alvage; 04-05-2021 at 03:57 AM.
04-05-2021, 04:41 AM   #12
Pentaxian

It had never occurred to me that the in-camera developing software would be DCU5.
It isn't.

The camera just contains internal memory which stores the DCU 5 software so that you can download it from the camera and install it on your PC/Mac.

Regarding DNG and JPEG files, any software that processes these formats will be able to deal with K-3 III files.

Only if you use PEF files from the K-3 III, you'll have to wait for new software versions to support them.
04-05-2021, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Interesting. The manual also says DCU5 is installed on the camera (p.98). I don't think that was mentioned in the K3 or K1 manuals. It had never occurred to me that the in-camera developing software would be DCU5.
It’s not the in-camera development software. It’s that if you put the camera in the right mode and connect to the computer, it mounts like a CD/USB stick containing DCU5. They had to do this because so few computers contain CD drives any more and I guess they decided this was cheaper than including a small SD card or something like that with the software on it. (Certainly you won’t lose/accidentally overwrite the camera’s internal memory!)
04-05-2021, 06:23 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvage Quote
Oh, yes, Pentax really is that advanced.) Conversion into TIFF has been successfully tried in practice in the K-1, and refer to page 92 of K-3iii's manual

This said, the in-camera TIFF is 8 bit only, and it's slightly inferior quality compared to the same 8 bit TIFF converted in Digital Camera Utility 5 from the same RAW. If you want to work in16 bit, you'll have to switch in PS (in-camera TIFFs).
Oh, I see now - I missed the TIFF conversion information - my main focus (sorry) being on shooting RAW in camera and extracting the best image possible after the file is out of the camera (max no. of pixels and bits).
04-05-2021, 08:22 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the first time, I will be an early adopter with the K3 iii. That leads me to worry that photo processing programs may not be able to process images from the new camera when it first arrives on my doorstep. My LR license lapsed a few months ago and I am now happily using ON1 Photo Raw 2021, but my question also applies to all the other photo software that people use.
  • Will DNG work out of the box?
  • Will jpegs work?
  • If they work, will there be limitations until the software catches up with the new camera?
  • Do we know what software, if any, ships with the K3iii?
I've had similar thoughts especially regarding DNG files as I've completely stopped shooting in Jpeg for the past four years. For the past three years I have been processing my DNG files with DXO PhotoLab. I also occasionally use Zoner ZPS-X just to stay proficient with it. DXO uses their own in house camera and lens profiles while Zoner uses Adobe profiles. I'm a bit concerned that with DXO I might not be able to utilize it with the first images I get from the MkIII.

Has anyone seen a site where the MkIII raw files are downloadable? I'd like to try them with DXO PhotoLab just to check if I will be able to generate a profile I can use.