Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2021, 01:32 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mobile (android) RAW editing app

Hi,

With K-3 Mk III preordered I started to think about returning to my previous style of shooting.editing in field, so on mobile device. When I was shooting digital cams with wifi connectivity I used mobile Lightroom. When I switched totaly to Pentax I had to abandon it (for obvious reasons with K-50) and am now using ACDSee Pro on my PC.

But new K-3 will have good connectivity so I think I will dust off my tablet and return to the in field with nice tee under blue sky style of editing. I do not post heavily so reduced functionality is not an issue. I know that ACDSee has a Pro editor for iOS but sadly not Android. DXO has no app in Google Store and I'm not fancy about installing it from their site, mostly it means issues with updates and stuff.

Anyone knows of some interesting app for Android? I know there is Lightroom so if anything else fails I will go back to Adobe.

04-08-2021, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom and Snapspeed, the latter will process dng files. They're the two best I've found. The free version of Lightroom is limited in functionality but you can still accomplish quite a lot.
2 Days Ago   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another free option is Adobe's Photoshop Express. It edits DNG files, but also at least some proprietary RAW formats. I haven't tried it with Pentax files, but it would edit my old Olympus RAW format.

If you don't mind jpeg based work, I love one simply called Photo Editor, by Dev.MacGyver.

Photo Editor - Apps on Google Play

It is the most feature filled mobile editor I've found, and is free (though, I paid to remove ads). It will pseudo edit DNG files, but not quite. You can open a DNG file in the app, and for the longest time I thought that's what it did. I found out from the developer that what really happens when you open a DNG is Android produces a jpeg version that is then imported into the app. I don't remember the technical details, but just a heads up that it's not really editing a raw file.
2 Days Ago   #4

Snapseed is surprisingly good –*my (android) phone takes raw photos and its 'develop' mode is definitely okay. Nothing compared to LR or C1P but it's free and touch-first.

2 Days Ago - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
+1 on Snapseed. Surprising number of tools to make adjustments, and presets (it's a google product though if that pushes you in any direction...)
2 Days Ago - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Another vote for Snapseed. True, being owned by Google might sway some to choose something else but it was created, I believe, by Nik Software and its definitely capable of producing professional results. The only things really missed, in my opinion, are noise reduction and a more worthwhile healing tool; theres simply not enough control over removing unwanted objects from your photos. I dont use lens profiles in other image editing programs so I can't say I miss them in Snapseed, nor would I expect it to have that option. For even some heavy duty editing it is more than capable, though.
1 Day Ago   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, I will give it a try. Looked at it for a second on my tablet and it looked more then ok for quick edits.