Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2021, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Lost DCU Disc - PixelShift Editing In....

I've lost my DCU disc! In truth I only ever used it for PixelShift editing but now it's gone what's the next best (free?) bit of software I can use to replace it?

For general editing I've got Affinity and various other random software, trials and plug-ins so it's specifically for PixelShift.

04-17-2021, 05:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As far as I know thereís a PS process option in rawtherapee... maybe you could try that. Itís open source, easy...
04-17-2021, 07:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DId you try this: Pentax Digital Camera Utility - installation - PentaxForums.com
04-17-2021, 01:45 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PDCU (Pentax Digital Camera Utility) software can be also downloaded from the Rico/Pentax website. During the installation [only], make sure that you have a USB device (eg memory stick) called "S-SW140" connected to your computer. That is all and it will work afterwards without any USB device!

PDCU might not be the most convivial interface but it is very powerful IMHO.

Hope that the comment will help.

04-17-2021, 02:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
As far as I know there’s a PS process option in rawtherapee... maybe you could try that. It’s open source, easy...
Yes, the newer builds of RawTherapee support pixelshift, although I have not used the PS function myself. Free & open source software.

Last edited by paulh; 04-17-2021 at 06:26 PM.
04-17-2021, 05:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Yes, the newer builds of RawTherapee support pixelshift, although I have not used it myself. Free & open source software.
The user interface in RawTherapee is much worse than PDCU, and that's saying a lot given how bad the UI in PDCU is.
I also achieved much better results in PDCU than RawTherapee. That's probably because I can't figure out the right knobs to turn in RawTherapee. Very powerful, but too complicated. PDCU results are mostly right out of the box.
I wish Lightroom had this feature built in. Or there was a PDCU plug-in for Lightroom.
Lightroom can't process any motion in PixelShift, making it not so useful unless you are using a tripod.
04-17-2021, 06:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use PDCU and RawTheapee. RawThearpee does a better job with PS, but PDCU does a good job and is easier to use. I keep going back and forth on which one I want to use.

04-17-2021, 07:22 PM   #8
Forum Member

There isn't a lot of software that supports pixelshift to begin with. As far as I know, SilkyPix, Lightroom, DCU, RawTherapee and Dcraw are the only options. The first twos aren't free, Dcraw doesn't have GUI, DCU can be reinstalled if you have a USB drive/SD card, etc. But the best software for pixelshift is RawTherapee, there's so much controls for motion correction, the UI isn't as complex as someone might think once you get the hang of it. RawTherapee is a pretty good RAW developer in general, the Auto-match tone curve gives you 80%-99% of the original "Pentax color" in most cases, and you can process from there
04-17-2021, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by syyrmb Quote
and Dcraw are the only options.
Probably best to refer to dcrawps, as dcraw doesn't support pixelshift.

Cheers,
Terry
04-18-2021, 02:42 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Raw Therapee is the best for pixel shift if you take a little time to learn the interface. I think there are also ways to get DCU downloaded so that is an option too.
04-19-2021, 08:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I didn't realise I could install without my CD so I'll give that a go. I've also for RawTherapee installed too should I run into any issues.