Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2021, 09:47 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Processing images to view on 4k TV?

Want to display some of my photos in photography class, on a 4k TV. Plan to put them on a USB thumb drive. I have Elements 11. What do the images need to be resized to for proper fit and quality. Is any other processing, besides normal image adjustments, needed?

Thanks,
barondla

04-17-2021, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It depends on the aspect ratio, for 16:9 google says 3840x2160.
I don't think there is any other difference to other devices. Make sure the TV is set to some kind of image showing setting or your colors will be off though.

Last edited by othar; 04-17-2021 at 12:54 PM.
04-17-2021, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
3840x2160 isn't 4k, it's UHD...4k would be 4096x2160. But marketing has settled on 4k...
04-17-2021, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Want to display some of my photos in photography class, on a 4k TV. Plan to put them on a USB thumb drive. I have Elements 11. What do the images need to be resized to for proper fit and quality. Is any other processing, besides normal image adjustments, needed?

Thanks,
barondla
What is the resolution of the screen ?

04-17-2021, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For a UHD monitor the file size should be 3840 x 2160 if it has native UHD resolution (it should if it's advertised as a UHD monitor) so that is the resolution to shoot for. If your pixel count is that value, you don't have to worry about the aspect ratio since UHD uses square pixels and everything should display properly. This all assumes your UHD display makes use of the file as is and doesn't so some of its own resizing.

Now if you have a (legacy) computer monitor, this might not apply and depends on how your videocard handles the file. It will most likely resize a UHD file to fit the monitor resolution which won't be 3840x2160 unless it's one of the newer computer monitors which feature actual UHD format. Many of those are shipping nowadays and have a 3840x2160 native resolution which provide a perfect fit for a 3840x2160 pixel file.

As boriscleto alluded to, the advertising market has completely confused terms and uses 4K inappropriately. 4K is a motion picture standard which you see at a theater using digital projection. A lot of TV companies throw the 4K term around when their displays are actually UHD (Ultra-High Definition) and differs as boriscleto pointed out. Then you have some which use displays whose native resolution is not 3840x2160 and the image is resized to fit whatever they have used, and they still advertise it as 4K or UHD. (They also advertise UHD as having 4 times the resolution of HD and it's only twice HD's resolution.) Damn the advertising department!!

If your TV has an HDMI input, use the UHD format and it should work fine. Just be sure to test your system before you step in front of that class.

Last edited by Bob 256; 04-17-2021 at 12:21 PM.
04-17-2021, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Processing images to view on 4k TV?
Be sure to export using sRGB colorspace to minimize chances for mismatch.

Steve
04-17-2021, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your biggest problem will be the color settings on the TV causing wrong colors in your photos. Most TVs come with default settings as cool temp, and blue, green, saturation, and brightness cranked way up. I've found switching the picture mode to "movie" provides a little better display. Of course a proper calibration would be best.
04-17-2021, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

It's unlikely that the class setting will allow time to adjust settings for each individual photographer so ask to test the display a week or two in advance of the class. If the TV is too saturated, process your photos accordingly with some desaturation; it might look wrong on your PC but will look better in class.

You shouldn't need to resize anything. Most TVs can rescale, with black bars to maintain whatever aspect ratio was in your original file. You can confirm that when your test, too.

04-17-2021, 11:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great info everyone. It gives me a lot consider. I`ll try a few on the 65" at home to nail the general process. Then move on to trials at school.

Thanks,
barondla
04-18-2021, 08:13 AM   #10

Resolution of the photos will matter far less than the screen settings of the TV - just make sure the TV isn't set to some strange "vivid" or "cinematic" mode - these kinds of settings will blow out certain colors or make everything look like a superhero movie.
04-18-2021, 09:26 PM   #11

Is it just me?

I have noticed that when displaying my old shots, say from my 100D Super, on a TV that I am amazed at how much detail is actually in those old shots. What I thought were not so great photos are actually full of detail which I could never see on my laptop.
04-18-2021, 10:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

TEST!!!
I found some tvís not willing to cooperate smoothly. Just export max size and quality and check on it. The best way is always connection via hdmi, tv does not need to process files, otherwise it might be slow...

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk