Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2021, 07:44 AM   #46
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I do a lot of work on my images and can get better results from RawTherapee than from Lightroom 6. Including pulling shadows and highlight reconstruction. Perhaps with more experience and better technique you could get better results with "freebie" apps.
hah no it isn't a condition of my experience, but of the software itself in how it handles shadow and highlight data. It just doesn't retain data in the same way and tends to wash out much quicker. How it handles color is unimpressive too. RT is the Linux of image editors and it shows. It is very nice for free though and if I had no other options I'd make do with it.

But Capture One handles the same data much better and does so with less sliders. Color support is superior.

Photolab4 is excellent as well. Albeit without the data cataloging support. Noise reduction is superior.

The Demosaicing is better in both of those products too. If you enjoy RT then by all means use it. But I find it to be lacking.

04-29-2021, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
hah no it isn't a condition of my experience, but of the software itself in how it handles shadow and highlight data. It just doesn't retain data in the same way and tends to wash out much quicker. How it handles color is unimpressive too. RT is the Linux of image editors and it shows. It is very nice for free though and if I had no other options I'd make do with it.

But Capture One handles the same data much better and does so with less sliders. Color support is superior.

Photolab4 is excellent as well. Albeit without the data cataloging support. Noise reduction is superior.

The Demosaicing is better in both of those products too. If you enjoy RT then by all means use it. But I find it to be lacking.
I interpret that as meaning it's more efficient, more customizable, and not subject to the whims of a large corporation's motivations. I'm sure you mean that's it's basically worthless. I sense a strong bias against open source software.

That's fine, I will continue to get really good results from my toolset, and you can pay to get results you like out of yours.
04-29-2021, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #48
5ks
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
I've never actually tried the in-camera HDR. I always shoot my own brackets. However, I am going to do some experimenting with using the K-3 iii's HDR mode since I can always get the DNGs out later and run through LrC or Aurora for more detailed processing. (With the faster wireless file transfer, I could see getting the in-camera JPEG HDR out to post to social or send to someone really fast and then deal with careful processing later.) It sounds like the DNG that you get from HDR in the camera contains three raw files for the bracketed exposures and then the JPEG preview, yes? No HDR DNG like you get when you merge to HDR in LrC?
Yes, right: Shooting RAW (DNG in my case) in HDR more makes a "triple-sized" file containing all the three exposure. And LR only recognizes the first one. But with Silky Pix you can separate the three, and then after importing the three to LR, you can use LR's HDR merge - and have the triple RAW image information to play with. It takes some time and patience to do this, so I've used it usually only for shots I find most successful or otherwise interesting. - And when the shots are (below) average, I may be satisfied with the hdr-merged jpg produced by the camera right in the first place.

I find this procedure a relief in the shooting situation, as I know there will be a chance to return to the original DNG's later.
04-29-2021, 08:20 AM   #49
mee
Veteran Member

I interpret that as meaning it's more efficient, more customizable, and not subject to the whims of a large corporation's motivations. I'm sure you mean that's it's basically worthless. I sense a strong bias against open source software.

That's fine, I will continue to get really good results from my toolset, and you can pay to get results you like out of yours.
haha no you read me wrong and what I just said about the software in how it handles data. But I don't want to argue with you. Take care!

04-29-2021, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

Adobe has also done a lot of work to extract more revenue from their customers over the last six years
Oh please, not this again. Try being right on the subject for a change.
04-29-2021, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #51

Original Poster
Lots of options here

I have downloaded all the listed photo software options except silkypiks, affinity, and the Corel ones. I will go fine 5 decent digital images (all will be RAW), and process them to the best of my ability in each program. This will likely take a week or so. Once I have my results, I will post my conclusions (and the photos). I know the end results will say as much about my ability to get the most from these software programs, but I will do my best.

One option that wasn't mentioned much was the new DX0 Photolab 4 software program. I looked at it, and think it would be a good option, but my current computer cannot run it. I intend to get a new computer this fall, but the lack of available decent video cards is a definite stumbling block...
04-29-2021, 09:51 AM   #52
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kendra59 Quote
DX0 Photolab 4 software program
That one is a pure editor -- no import of files for cataloging. So you'll need to have a means of pulling the images off your memory cards onto your computer's hard drive if you go with Photolab. FYI. I personally think the results out of it are spectacular, but I don't like the lack of an import image feature.

04-29-2021, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have downloaded all the listed photo software options except silkypiks, affinity, and the Corel ones. I will go fine 5 decent digital images (all will be RAW), and process them to the best of my ability in each program. This will likely take a week or so. Once I have my results, I will post my conclusions (and the photos). I know the end results will say as much about my ability to get the most from these software programs, but I will do my best.
I understand what you are trying to achieve, but by introducing subjectivity into the equation you are making the result pointless. We are lucky as photographers to have a very wide range of PP options both free and pay ware. What makes a good software ? One that you individually can use with ease. That will be different for most of us.
04-29-2021, 05:19 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Will RawTherapee run on a Mac with an M1 processor?
04-29-2021, 05:24 PM   #55

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I understand what you are trying to achieve, but by introducing subjectivity into the equation you are making the result pointless. We are lucky as photographers to have a very wide range of PP options both free and pay ware. What makes a good software ? One that you individually can use with ease. That will be different for most of us.
This is very true, and my mileage probably will vary from most people as I am trying to get my head around the processes/procedures for the various software options. I am MOST familiar with Adobe LR 6. I have never used the full Photoshop version, because it seems quite involved. Having said that, it is a subscription, and can be cancelled. I will play with the other software programs for a week or so, and then try either Capture One Pro or the Adobe Photoshop Creative Cloud as a subscription for a couple months. If I don't like it, I don't have to keep paying for it.

---------- Post added 04-29-21 at 05:37 PM ----------

I am still using Mac OS 10.13.6; my 2011 iMac won't run anything newer, and Capture One Pro for the Mac OS is version 10. I will need to replace my computer by fall, and am considering building my own Windows 10 based PC. The "problem" as many people must be aware is it is almost impossible to buy a decent new video card due to the global chip shortage. I have been considering ordering a new iMac, but they look... colourful (yeah that's it) and very much like an oversized iPad on a swivel stand. The "good news" about the new iMac is it is based on Apple's own M1 chip, and I think the global chip shortage won't affect them. The "bad news" is nothing can be upgraded, and the maximum allowable memory is 16 GB SHARED.

I will probably build a decent PC computer this fall, but definitely WILL order a CPU with a built in graphics processor, so I can get by until a good video card comes along.
04-29-2021, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am MOST familiar with Adobe LR 6. I have never used the full Photoshop version, because it seems quite involved. Having said that, it is a subscription, and can be cancelled.
I use Adobe CC Photography subscription. I went for the Lightroom Classic version so "cloud" use is optional. For 10 pounds a month I get Lightroom; Photoshop; Bridge; and my own website. That is plenty for me.
04-29-2021, 08:12 PM   #57
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I use Adobe CC Photography subscription. I went for the Lightroom Classic version so "cloud" use is optional. For 10 pounds a month I get Lightroom; Photoshop; Bridge; and my own website. That is plenty for me.
It is a lot for the money, but keep in mind one must agree to a 1 year contract for this offer. If there was no contract it would be a lot more attractive imo.
04-30-2021, 12:32 AM - 1 Like   #58

It is a lot for the money, but keep in mind one must agree to a 1 year contract for this offer. If there was no contract it would be a lot more attractive imo.
Absolutely would increase the number of paying customers. I've never charged anyone for my photos covering dance events and am happy with FOSS in general but would be happy to pay a small fee to have postprocessing + delivery streamlined for 30 days and then let my account lie dormant for another 11 months (or as long as I don't need it). Thing is I don't see how that beats the annual billing for developers. (on the other hand, huge corps like Adobe could probably handle that _if_ they wanted to dominate the market)
04-30-2021, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #59

Original Poster
I forgot to read the fine print… sneaky contract writers.

Before I get too wound up about potential software options, I need to get out there and take more photos.

Thanks to all who responded with their opinions!
05-01-2021, 09:40 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love the subscription to LR and LRC. It's only $99 a year and was easy to go to from my standalone LR 6.