Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2021, 05:26 PM   #1

I need to move on from Adobe LR 6, but need advice

It was a good program, but is no longer supported. It is now crashing when it used to be dead reliable. The problem is, I am not keen on buying software on a subscription model, and don't need the full power of the Adobe Creative Cloud anyway.

On the other hand, I do intend to do more colour to B & W conversion, using Nik Silver Effex or something of equal quality. Would I be able to do this using Capture Pro 10? After recovering from several strokes, my "workflow" processes must be relearned anyway, so if I am going to try something different, now is the time to do so.

P.S. I use a Mac computer...

04-22-2021, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why not try one of the FOSS programs?
Rawtherapee and darktable both provide a wealth of capability. One of the two suit your palate.

Cheers,
Terry
04-22-2021, 05:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Why not try one of the FOSS programs?
Rawtherapee and darktable both provide a wealth of capability. One of the two suit your palate.

Cheers,
Terry
AGREE here with Terry.. these two programs are extremely capable... Add in GIMP and you have a really full toolbox.

AL
04-22-2021, 05:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm moving on from Lightroom to RawTheapee. There's a step learning curve, but it's free and just as capable as Lightroom.

04-22-2021, 05:51 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I chose Capture One for my processing needs. They offer both purchase and subscription. They only recently added support for plugins, so there are very few plugins that work with Capture One right now. Their B&W tools are good. They offer free trial, and a license can be used on Mac and Windows.
04-22-2021, 05:59 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you don't need extensive RAW development features, I would suggest Affinity Photo.

It includes a basic RAW developer module, which works okay, but not as well as some of the other packages. However, for layering, editing, adjusting, and applying filters, etc, it works very well. It doesn't have an image file library system.

I found it easy to learn, and there are plenty of good online tutorials. The price is attractive -- around CAD $70 and occasionally on sale (available now at half price).

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-22-2021 at 06:04 PM.
04-22-2021, 06:07 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ON1 Photo RAW 2021 – ON1

04-22-2021, 06:26 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I might get a paddlin', but I enjoy using the Adobe CC suite...
04-22-2021, 06:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Also worth looking at is the Corel suite - AfterShot Pro (raw editor) and Paintshop Pro. The latest version has AI for it's sharpening, noise reduction and upscaling functions. I have been using an older version for years and really like it. I'll be buying the upgrade in the next couple of weeks to the '21 version once I have a new PC up and running. There's no subscription, and price is extremely reasonable...about $65 for the deluxe suite.
04-22-2021, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kendra59 Quote
It was a good program, but is no longer supported. It is now crashing when it used to be dead reliable. The problem is, I am not keen on buying software on a subscription model, and don't need the full power of the Adobe Creative Cloud anyway.

On the other hand, I do intend to do more colour to B & W conversion, using Nik Silver Effex or something of equal quality. Would I be able to do this using Capture Pro 10? After recovering from several strokes, my "workflow" processes must be relearned anyway, so if I am going to try something different, now is the time to do so.

P.S. I use a Mac computer...
Download DXO PhotoLab free trial for 30 days. It has the very best noise reduction on the planet DxO PhotoLab 4 - The Most Advanced Photo Editing Software give it a shot you won't regret it.
04-22-2021, 07:03 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi, Kendra,

The answer to your question isn’t as straightforward as you’d like it to be. There are a few questions that you need to answer before the big question can be answered. I just went through what you are going through when my 2010 Mac Pro reached the point where it was no longer economical to keep it running and its inability to run the latest versions of macOS meant it was losing the ability to run the photo apps that I was using, which included LR6.

I ended up replacing my Mac with a new one and discovered that I could no longer run LR6 at all; not because it wouldn’t actually run,but because Adobe had removed the ability to authorize it on any machine that couldn’t run 32-bit software, which includes all of the modern Macs. This leads to some of the questions that you need to answer in order to make some decisions.What Mac are you using? Which macOS version are you using? How much RAM does your Mac have, and when do you anticipate replacing your Mac with a newer one? The most important question to be answered by someone moving away from LR is below.

Given that you are basically replacing LR6, the major question to be answered becomes whether or not you’d like to keep editing the images that you’ve worked on in LR6 without needing to “bake in” all of your edits by exporting those images as jpegs, for instance, which you then open up in your new photo app of choice. If the direction that you’d like to go is the export and reopen in a new app with your LR6 edits baked in as the starting point, then you can basically use any app that reads whatever format you export the files in.

If you’d like to use your files with the LR6 edits as the starting point, but with the ability to modify those edits without starting over, there are basically only 2 ways you can go. Neither method, unfortunately,is cost free. The first is both the least preferred and the easiest. It is to “rent”Adobe’s CC software using their Photography Plan which costs about $10/month (with a discount if you pay/renew for a year in advance). I detest rewarding Adobe for their actions but, ultimately, I decided that the yearly cost for that plan wasn’t much different from what I was paying to regularly upgrade software anyway, so I gave in. The big advantage is that Lightroom Classic (in Adobe CC) works exactly like LR6, reads your LR6 catalog and gives you access to all of the edits that you already had performed. But, that comes with all of Adobe’s baggage that you are committing to.

The alternative is to move to ON1 Photo RAW. This app is trying to be a complete alternative to the Adobe LR/Photoshop universe. They get closer to achieving that goal every year. Last year’s version of the app came with the ability to read the LR catalog and convert most (but not all,yet) of your edits into equivalents in ON1’s world. It does not operate as a method of syncing LR and ON1, but it is intended to be a one-time move away from LR and into Photo RAW. After making the move, they expect that all further edits will be done in Photo RAW and if anything is now being done in LR, it won’t be reflected in Photo RAW. As mentioned, they don’t yet have the ability to recreate all of your LR edits in Photo RAW, but they keep getting closer.

The major benefit is that you own ON1 Photo RAW and don’t need to pay a monthly (or yearly) fee in order to use it. Pay once and you own the version that you purchased forever (or at least for a long time!). You can, if you want, pay each year for the latest and greatest version if you feel you absolutely need some of the “improvements”, but you don’t need to do that if the current version meets your needs. I can say that if you do a lot of masking in your editing and a lot of local edits, it’s worth looking at Photo RAW because their masking and selection tools are pretty amazing. There is a learning curve involved, but there is a huge number of tutorials and videos covering use of Photo RAW and new ones are being produced constantly. All of that being said, I have found enough new stuff in it to have paid for an upgrade each of the last 4 years.

Sorry for the length of this, but I hope it helps. If you have any questions on any of this stuff, let me know and I’ll try to answer them. Good luck!

Last edited by subsea; 04-22-2021 at 11:22 PM.
04-22-2021, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One that I like as an option is IrFanview. Has a lot of the capabilities found in PhotoShop
04-23-2021, 01:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I might get a paddlin', but I enjoy using the Adobe CC suite...
I currently work with Ps cc2015 (ACR12) but also darktable and rawtherapee. I believe every one of them has its strengths and weaknesses. But a logical way of moving on from Lr would be darktable I think... lots of capabilities and a pretty simple filing system. Not much to worry about learning curve either.
04-23-2021, 06:19 AM - 3 Likes   #14

Being in the older category, I doubt that I'll move away from Adobe till I'm done with photography. After many years with their products I'm well versed in the use, and don't relish the idea the idea of relearning a new software. Plus I have extensive libraries of everything from presets, profiles, actions, textures, Flypapers, and instructional videos that have been accumulated over the years, that would take forever to recreate. Finally the only thing I see even close to Adobe products is Capture One. At $9.99/mo for the Adobe subscription I can "rent" for 2-1/2 yrs before it equals the one time cost of the full version of Capture One. At the end of the 2 1/2 yrs I'll have the latest, up to date versions of Adobe, but Capture One will be dated and ready for an upgrade. To each their own.
04-23-2021, 08:01 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find the Adobe "monthly lease" totally painless – it is really just 2 lattes a month. In addition, there are automatic updates. Lightroom, Lightroom Classic, Bridge and Camera Raw, and Photoshop all in one package. If you are a long-time Lightroom user, I suggest you give it a try. After all, you can always cancel.