Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-28-2021, 06:51 AM   #1

Digital Camera Utility update v5.9.2 available

As reported by other DCU update v5.9.2 is available for download.

Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Macintosh : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

The Windows version corrects the menu language bug in Laboratory.

The Mac version supports Big Sur (11.0).

Numerous additions and corrects. See changes notes in above links.

04-28-2021, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm most excited by this statement: "Added a tooltip when hovering the mouse cursor over the icon in the Custom Image panel." I'm hoping that means they added tooltips (plural) for all the icons in the Custom Image panel - I can never remember which is which and the icons themselves are not very informative. I won't be able to load the update until this evening.
04-28-2021, 09:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Never used this software; is it any good? Do you need it before using CaptureOne or LightRoom ?
04-28-2021, 09:20 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
As reported by other DCU update v5.9.2 is available for download.

Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Macintosh : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

The Windows version corrects the menu language bug in Laboratory.

Numerous additions and corrects. See changes notes in above links.
Thanks been waiting for this

04-28-2021, 10:03 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Never used this software; is it any good? Do you need it before using CaptureOne or LightRoom ?
It's free. It does basic editing and RAW development. It works well to reproduce the Custom Settings and lens corrections that your Pentax camera has built-in for JPEGs plus additional features to support additional adjustments, pixel-shift images, etc. The menu system and layout is a little quirky, but did I mention it's free?
04-28-2021, 10:38 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll download for the PS functionality.
04-28-2021, 12:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cdw2000 Quote
I'm most excited by this statement: "Added a tooltip when hovering the mouse cursor over the icon in the Custom Image panel." I'm hoping that means they added tooltips (plural) for all the icons in the Custom Image panel - I can never remember which is which and the icons themselves are not very informative. I won't be able to load the update until this evening.
Yep, all the icons in Laboratory | Custom Image got tooltips.
The new version replaces the old one, no side-by-side installation.

04-28-2021, 01:04 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
It sort of sucks for general use, but can be very useful, say for processing pixel-shift RAW where motion correction is part of the mix, converting PEF to Pentax-generated DNG (equivalent to in-camera DNG and not the same as using the Adobe DNG converter to make a DNG), basic processing of pixel-shift RAW to TIFF with additional work done with other tools, and other stuff. I keep an up-to-date copy on both of my computers for forensic tasks and for as a quick route means to work with DNG/PEF files.

Steve
04-28-2021, 01:34 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

It crashed immediately I tried to resize the image window (Big Sur 11.1). Sigh.
04-28-2021, 08:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I only use it for pixel shift processing. I hope they made it easier to use, but I won't hold my breath.
04-28-2021, 11:51 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It sort of sucks for general use, but can be very useful, say for processing pixel-shift RAW
Thanks - as soon the camera arrives, I'll try it out. Will take some time but worth the effort I guess.
04-30-2021, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Using DCU 5.9.2 with OS X 10.15 (Catalina); other Mac OS X notes

With DCU 5.9.2, I've noticed a large general performance improvement. Unexepctedly positive. Nothing in the release notes suggested such an improvement.

As for using DCU in general, here're my experiences.

I'm an enthusiast, not a professional. I've never used either LR or PS and won't since I don't like paying subscriptions.
I've generally just used the built-in Apple Photos app. It has a decent set of basic RAW editing tools that are generally all I need (although it lacks dodging.)

With my 2014 MacBook Air, however, since Mac OS 10.13 (High Sierra), the Photos App really can't handle the files generated first by my K5 (16 +MB) and now K3-ii (24+ MB.) It either takes forever or just plain crashes. (I don't even try with my legacy but highly upgraded 2011 MacBook Pro.) So I taught myself how to use DCU5. What a clunky interface! Feels like it was designed for Windows 3.0. Anyway, it handles the same size RAW files without any hangups or crashing. I expect that the time loading the the RAW photos in the first place and then processing them to .jpeg would benefit from a faster computer, but It would only be a matter of saving 10 - 15 seconds a photo.

After I invested a modest amount of time learning the clunky interface, I find that I now have a decent workflow and can get good results.

I have several other applications that seem popular on this forum (Affinity Photo, RAW Therapee), but I'm holding off on learning them until I'm fully retired!

With the new (2021) release of the 23" iMac, I'm looking forward to upgrading my aging hardware (again, after I'm fully retired.) If I can, I'll hold off until Apple releases an updated version of the 27" iMac. With my still decent 2002 20" Apple Cinema Display, the 27" iMac should give me all the screenspace I could possibly use.

Last edited by Roam Redway; 04-30-2021 at 10:50 AM. Reason: formatting
05-03-2021, 03:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
It crashed immediately I tried to resize the image window (Big Sur 11.1). Sigh.
Didn't crash for me on Big Sur.
05-03-2021, 03:41 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I only use it for pixel shift processing. I hope they made it easier to use, but I won't hold my breath.
Does it process pixel shift with motion correction on?
05-03-2021, 03:47 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

So I have this software and other than a curiosity I used once a couple of years ago I've not had any more experience with it. I have LR. PS, DxO, and some Topaz AI's as my primaries so I'm asking you that do use it: Should I also be using Digital Camera Utility for anything other than Pixelshift images?