Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2021, 10:03 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sholom Quote
I get good results using RawTherapee as the raw demosaicer, optionally making exposure, color, and white balance adjustments, saving the result as a 16 bit.TIF file with ProPhoto color space, and then opening the .TIF file either in Photoshop and using Topaz as a filter, or directly in Topaz Denoise,
I've thought of switching it up like this. I know Topaz recommends using it asap in your workflow for the best noise reduction. Have you noticed any loss of quality in your NR compared to running it direct on your raw files?

05-04-2021, 06:58 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't done a direct comparison but I have been impressed by the results I've gotten with this workflow.
05-04-2021, 11:55 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Have you noticed any loss of quality in your NR compared to running it direct on your raw files?
You likely have to be careful in your 'demosaic stage' to avoid features that mix too much information, e.g. via interpolation, from different photo cites on the sensor, which would make noise more correlated and thus reduction more difficult. So e.g. geometry and lateral CA corrections should best be done after denoising in such a workflow. On the other hand, CA corrections during demosaic in Rawtherapee work rather well with RT's later-stage noise reduction. I'd be curious if this makes any difference in the RT workflow itself - I'll compare noise reduction for demosaic-stage CA correction vs. later CA-correction with respect to noise reduction performance in RT itself, once I find the time and a noisy image from a lens which needs significant correction.
05-05-2021, 04:22 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
I'll compare noise reduction for demosaic-stage CA correction vs. later CA-correction with respect to noise reduction performance in RT itself, once I find the time and a noisy image from a lens which needs significant correction.
If you want, I may have one for you to try out on that I shot with the 10-17mm Fisheye, which I had a heck of a time dealing with CA on. I'll have to check the RAW later when I have time. But it was shot at ISO 800 at night with my K3 II.

05-10-2021, 08:37 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sholom Quote
I haven't done a direct comparison but I have been impressed by the results I've gotten with this workflow.
I finally had some time to do a quick edit comparison. I may have to find tune my exact workflow, but so far has yielded the same, if not better results. Quicker too. I ran RT first and did all non-NR edits there, saved as a 16-bit TIFF, then opened direct in DeNoise (I don't have Photoshop). The only difference is I use sRGB color space since I don't print much. I may go back and fine tune things later, but my time for testing is limited. I may just keep going as it's, then switch up if needed, like if I run into problems with NR like JensE mentioned.