Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2021, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
DCU v5.9 update details

For the apparently very few of us who actually use the supplied Digital Camera Utility, there's some update details here Ver.5.9????????????Digital Camera Utility 5 ?7??????? | PENTAX official covering the newest version.
In Japanese, unfortunately, so you'll (probably) need a translator, also any screen-grab images are also in Japanese, and these don't translate (obviously), but nevertheless, some useful insights for anyone interested

05-05-2021, 09:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect more people use it than you might think.
05-05-2021, 12:53 PM   #3

Interesting read so for - the biggest eye-opener is this:

QuoteQuote:
Before introducing the new features of Ver.5.9 in detail, there are changes in the installation procedure for the K-3 Mark III accessory version. For the first time in our DSLR, the CD-ROM is not included, and the image of the CD-ROM is retained in the memory inside the camera body. If you set "Setup"-"[4] Communication Settings"-"USB Settings" to "CD-ROM" in the K-3 Mark III menu and turn the power off and then on again, the CD-ROM S-SW177 will be connected to your computer. (By the way, 177 is the accessory number given to the K-3 Mark III, which is given to the battery charger and its AC adapter. kit released the other day, and the stainless steel hot shoe cover. Masu).Figures 1 and 2 show the recognition when the USB setting is set to CD-ROM and the USB connection is made to a Windows PC or Mac.

The main reason for not including the CD-ROM and incorporating it in the camera is that the number of notebook PCs has increased and software download sales have increased, so PCs without an optical drive are not included. It means that the number of users who Have is increasing. Also, by incorporating the camera, I thought about replacing the computer after a while after I bought it, and I had never installed it because I thought I would not use it, but suddenly I decided to use it. Occasionally, you won't lose your CD-ROM and can't install it.
However, at least in some regions the CD is being shipped with the camera. Perhaps not in Japan.

Edit: The "accessory version" is perhaps a premium kit shipped with a memory card?
05-05-2021, 02:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Well, the DCU in the camera has a bug, and it appears it is not part of the firmware. You need to download the new version 5.9.2 to replace it on your computer [1], and the faulty version in the camera is stuck there forever because it cannot be replaced. So, this is a strange solution and far from ideal.

[1] Digital Camera Utility 5 Update
Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Macintosh : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

05-05-2021, 05:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
Well, the DCU in the camera has a bug, and it appears it is not part of the firmware. You need to download the new version 5.9.2 to replace it on your computer [1], and the faulty version in the camera is stuck there forever because it cannot be replaced. So, this is a strange solution and far from ideal.

[1] Digital Camera Utility 5 Update
Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Macintosh : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
Too bad it couldn't have just been put on a memory card shipped with the body and then rewritten as needed!
05-05-2021, 06:10 PM   #6

Has anyone confirmed that this is shipping to all the markets and not just in Japan?

The bug involves the language internationalization - menus in Laboratory remain in Japanese and not to the selected language of the computer. This would hardly matter to the Japanese market.
05-05-2021, 06:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I need to update but just forget to do it until another thread pops up here.

05-06-2021, 04:32 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Has anyone confirmed that this is shipping to all the markets and not just in Japan?

The bug involves the language internationalization - menus in Laboratory remain in Japanese and not to the selected language of the computer. This would hardly matter to the Japanese market.
Confirmed that what is shipping? My K-3 iii came (US) with DCU 5.9.1 stored in it (and no CD/DVD0. Someone on this forum has reported that their English Windows machine exhibited the menu language bug in 5.9.1 and that 5.9.2 fixed the problem for them.
05-06-2021, 04:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

The update announcement for DCU to 5.9.2 is on the English Ricoh pages, which is for customers outside Japan.
BTW Adapting to different languages from software is officially called 'localization'.

Of course this issue only applies to first time users of DCU after buying the K3-III, because if DCU is already installed on your computer the latest version can be downloaded from Richo's website directly and installed as usual, bypassing the version in the camera.

Edit 1 - From the description on the download page it seems version 5.9.2 is only addressing the bug in the version 5.9.1 in the K3-III camera. So an installation of 5.9.2 is only necessary if you have installed 5.9.1 before.
That said, these updates are always cumulative, which means that the last update also contains all the changes in previous updates. So installing the last version does no harm, and you know the software is up to date.

Edit 2 - Correction. The small print says "When this update is done, the contents of version 5.6.8 and earlier will be also updated." So 5.9.2 is also an update from 5.8.6 with more changes. Can you still follow it?

Last edited by Kobayashi.K; 05-06-2021 at 06:00 AM.
05-06-2021, 07:31 AM   #10
Forum Member

I only see it available under the K-3 III

I did not see the new update for my K-1. Then I looked at the APS-C K3-III. And there the download is available. Strange !
05-06-2021, 07:50 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krgroothuis Quote
I did not see the new update for my K-1. Then I looked at the APS-C K3-III. And there the download is available. Strange !
The DCU app is not camera related except for the K3-III which has DCU baked in. Just follow the English home page from Ricoh in the Event/Service news section (Updates at 2021.04.28).
HOME | RICOH IMAGING
05-06-2021, 10:14 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still use this program to convert Raw to tiff. Need to download this and update my desktop.

Thanks for the reminder,
barondla