Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2021, 08:16 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

iOS digital camera kit

I’m aware of the incompatibility of PEF files but I also don’t want to assume it’s just importing the jpeg either. For viewing purposes on my iPad does it matter?

JJ

05-07-2021, 10:40 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It shouldn't have an impact. I have had no trouble importing pictures to my iPad from either my K-10D or my K-3II, in either DNG (RAW) or jpeg formats.
05-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
I’m aware of the incompatibility of PEF files but I also don’t want to assume it’s just importing the jpeg either. For viewing purposes on my iPad does it matter?

JJ
It will matter, depending what you intend to do with the image ?

Are you shooting RAW images or JPEG ?
05-07-2021, 02:41 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
It will matter, depending what you intend to do with the image ?

Are you shooting RAW images or JPEG ?
I’m shooting both dual card, For now I’m just importing the jpeg card for review…

JJ

05-07-2021, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It works fine for .dng(raw) and .jpeg files. I shoot raw+jpeg and just import the jpeg files for viewing. If I want edit anything I just wait till I get home and import the selected dng files to my desktop.
05-08-2021, 06:16 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
I’m shooting both dual card, For now I’m just importing the jpeg card for review…
Your best bet is to view the JPEG on your ipad. If you import a PEF or DNG, as well as being a much larger file, your ipad will only display the JPEG preview that is contained within every raw file. The only reason to import a raw file is if you have raw converter software on your ipad and you intend to produce image files from that, or you only shoot raw files and wish to review them.
05-08-2021, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Your best bet is to view the JPEG on your ipad. If you import a PEF or DNG, as well as being a much larger file, your ipad will only display the JPEG preview that is contained within every raw file. The only reason to import a raw file is if you have raw converter software on your ipad and you intend to produce image files from that, or you only shoot raw files and wish to review them.
Most of the major photo software companies have iPad apps which handle RAW files (other than PEF), and the quality of those apps is constantly improving. They also do a pretty good job of integrating with the desktop versions of the apps. In general, there are only 2 potential issues. First, as Peter said, the RAW files take up a lot of space, so if you've got an iPad with limited storage, you may be limited in the number of RAW files you can put on the iPad. However, assuming that you are only putting them on the iPad to check quality and not for permanent storage, that is most likely not a problem. The second potential issue has to do more with the age and dimensions of your iPad. Older iPads are relatively slow in terms of processing RAW images and using your finger (at least mine!) as your control device doesn't work very well when it comes to selecting portions of the image to edit on screen. If you iPad is new enough, you can use an Apple Pencil to work on the images. My current iPad is a 9.7-inch iPad Pro and it's just too small to be comfortable for image processing. That being said, it's perfectly adequate for evaluating image quality in terms of determining whether the shot is acceptable. I'm going to order one of the new iPads as soon as the supply begins to catch up with the demand.

05-08-2021, 11:58 AM   #8

For reference, Apple has a list of RAW support for cameras, including Pentax cameras.