Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 90 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2021, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Despicable Adobe

I used Lightroom for my photo processing for several years, but have now switched to ON1 and the LR Classic license I was using has lapsed. This meant I could no longer edit in LR, either old or new photos, but all my old edited photos were still viewable.

Until now. As of today, when I launch LR Classic I get a popup that gives only three options: buy LR Classic; start a 7 day free trial; or quit. There is no longer an option to view my thousands of previously edited photos. These are being held to ransom.

Does anyone else find this reprehensible?

05-09-2021, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #2

Simple. Export your settings so that you can import them indo darktable and you won't ever have to deal with that again.
05-09-2021, 06:11 AM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My understanding was you could continue to view your edits indefinitely, so that's not good. That said, even if you have stand alone software lots of things can happen, from the company going out of business to new hardware or software rendering it unusable.

Does on1 not import your old LR catalogs with edits?
05-09-2021, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your photos will still be on your computer in the folder you chose when you imported them.

When you edited a photo did you export the edit with a new filename (or overwrite original) ?

Either way you should be able to view your edited files in the Catalogue module without a live subscription...... https://www.lightroomqueen.com/cancel-cc-subscription-photos/#comments

Last edited by pschlute; 05-09-2021 at 07:56 AM.
05-09-2021, 07:08 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It has been known for ages Adobe is a greedy company which tries to lock in their customers by any means. If you ignore all warnings and still use their products you will inevitably be confronted with the nasty consequences at some time.
05-09-2021, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Assuming that you have ON1 Photo RAW 2020 or later installed, you have another option if you want to preserve (most of) your Lightroom edits. However, you'll need to start a 7-day trial of Lightroom Classic in order to take advantage of it. When you installed ON1, it should have asked you whether you wanted to install plug-ins into Lightroom and, hopefully, you said yes. One of the plug-ins available within Lightroom, following installation of ON1, is entitled "Migrate Catalog to ON1 Photo". If you select that plug-in under the File menu in Lightroom, Lightroom will take your catalog and the plug-in will move your images into ON1, preserving things like your Collections. Note that this process can only be initiated from Lightroom, not from ON1. Even better, the plug-in will translate (most of) your Lightroom edits into ON1 equivalents to make the images in ON1 look as much like the finished, edited, images in Lightroom. You can then open these images in ON1 and continue editing them, or even modify the edits you've already made. There are a few caveats to this. Not all of the Lightroom editing commands have ON1 equivalents, so there are a few things that will not get translated. You'll need to check the images and perform your own edits to restore the look of those files to what you had in Lightroom. If I remember correctly, image transforms is one of the things that doesn't translate. Also, this catalog migration is intended to be a one-time event, not a method of regularly syncing catalogs (assuming that you continue to have access to Lightroom). If you continue to perform edits within Lightroom after migration to ON1, the new edits will not show up in ON1. Depending on the options that you select when you perform the migration, and on the number of images in your Lightroom catalog, the process can take many hours to complete, and there may be a small number of glitches with titles of the collections migrated to ON1. I would recommend that you check ON1's website for the appropriate ON1 Photo RAW and Lightroom Catalog Migration documentation and related videos.

I did this with a Lightroom catalog holding thousands of images and I've been pretty happy with the results. YMMV! Good luck!
05-09-2021, 08:17 AM - 4 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

They are altering the deal. Pray they don't alter further.

05-09-2021, 08:38 AM - 4 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You stopped paying. They stopped giving. I am not sure this is an unheard of scenario. Does the phrase “There is no such thing as a free lunch” ring a bell?

It seems to me you would have been prudent to start the recovery process the day you cancelled your subscription. Even so, the 7 Day free trial they are offering you gives you a short reprieve and one more week to download your photos.

Good luck! I hope you get them all back.
05-09-2021, 08:41 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

And I am convinced Adobe is using straw-men on fora to promote their products and to compensate for critical voices.

Last edited by Kobayashi.K; 05-09-2021 at 08:53 AM.
05-09-2021, 08:58 AM - 7 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
And I am convinced Adobe is using straw-men on fora to promote their products and to compensate for critical voices.
There are lots of people convinced of things. This does not make those things true.
05-09-2021, 09:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
There are lots of people convinced of things. This does not make those things true.
I knew beforehand that reactions like those of AggieDad would come in. It's always the same pattern.
Using straw-men is standard practice, even used by respectable organiations like the EU during elections.
05-09-2021, 09:21 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
I knew beforehand that reactions like those of AggieDad would come in. It's always the same pattern.
Using straw-men is standard practice, even used by respectable organiations like the EU during elections.
It's an open forum, I think you can generally expect a variety of reactions, I'm not sure that proves anything other than people have different views.

I must go now and make my daily forum report to the illuminati.
05-09-2021, 09:34 AM - 6 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
You stopped paying. They stopped giving. I am not sure this is an unheard of scenario.
The deal with Lightroom was that if you stop paying, you lose editing privileges but can still browse your images.

I don't think highly of Adobe but it seems it is more likely that the OP is experiencing some technical issue, rather than Adobe suddenly having changed the deal.
05-09-2021, 09:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
It's an open forum, I think you can generally expect a variety of reactions, I'm not sure that proves anything other than people have different views.
I must go now and make my daily forum report to the illuminati.
It's a question of probability. Adobe has been proved to be evil so you know how they work. They are so accustomed to their own practices they admit in public their old system worked well but they can squeeze out more money from their customers with Creative Cloud.
05-09-2021, 09:51 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Adobe, for good or ill are in the business of making money. I pay my £9.99 quite sanguinely as Adobe is the only one to offer processing across all my devices. I use lightroom mobile a lot & cc, classic and Photoshop quite a bit. My opinion is whether or not it is expensive is all down to how much use you get from all the other programs.
Closed Thread