Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2021, 09:51 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
It's a question of probability. Adobe has been proved to be evil so you know how they work. They are so accustomed to their own practices they admit in public their old system worked well but they can squeeze out more money from their customers with Creative Cloud.
I thought the cloud based system was to stop people hacking their licensing, which was pretty common, I'm not sure you can blame them for that, it's probably not the only reason and I'm sure that making money is up there too but that's common for most companies surely?

Anyway, as per Class A, I wonder if the OP is merely experiencing a technical problem, as I've read many times that you should still be able to see edited photos, in fact it's informed my thinking about finally going down the subscription route. I would suggest contacting adobe support and mentioning there might be a bunch of forum member subscriptions hanging on their answer.

Last edited by 3by2; 05-09-2021 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Grammar don't you know
05-09-2021, 11:07 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
I thought the cloud based system was to stop people hacking their licensing, ...
Authentication of ownership and financials are orthogonal concerns.

They could still sell permanent licenses (i.e., not use a subscription service) while verifying ownership through regular online calls "to the mothership".
05-09-2021, 11:45 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

From Adobe

QuoteQuote:
Lightroom Classic

You continue to have access to all your photos on your local hard drive through Lightroom for the desktop. You can continue to import and organize photos and output your edited photos through Export, Publish, Print, Web, or Slideshow. Access to the Develop & Map modules and Lightroom for mobile is not available after your membership ends.
I would suggest that, if as you are saying they are 'holding your images to ransom' that you contact them for clarification about why the above does not apply in your case.

I strongly suspect that there is something else at play in your current situation which may well be outside of Adobes control.

Unless of course you made the mistake of storing your edits on the Adobe Cloud only (dont know it this actually possible). From date of cancellation or lapsing of LR you are given one year to download your files
05-09-2021, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's a question of probability. Adobe has been proved to be evil so you know how they work. They are so accustomed to their own practices they admit in public their old system worked well but they can squeeze out more money from their customers with Creative Cloud.
So, you are on the tippy edge of brand bashing here, which is against forum policies.

"Evil" is not a word that should be applied to Adobe---they aren't an extraction company willfully polluting the planet, or willingly engaging in the trade of land mines, blood diamonds, destruction of rainforests and the displacement of indigenous peoples, & etc. You may feel that late stage capitalism is itself evil---that's an opinion some might share with you. Here, we are merely talking about a business model that users can opt into or out of by their own free will, for a product that is not necessary to have. Despicable in the title of this thread is also very close to the edge, but it doesn't go as far as evil.

I have been an Adobe skeptic for years, and always thought PS was overpriced, and still think its a bloated mess with lots of queer legacy things that should have been changed/eliminated years ago---terminology like "unsharp mask" which is a fossil from the middle of the 20th century (at least, if not older). I've always thought LR was fairly priced, and still do. I'm using the suite, and as a pro think these are acceptable business level pricings. Hobbyists can think otherwise, but there are plenty of fine alternatives.

So, let's ratchet down the rhetoric, please, otherwise the thread will spin out of control, and there will be penalties. The OP's problem is unfortunate, but as others have posted there may be a technical problem here. Adobe has been clear about their intentions so far I believe, and I don't recall seeing any change announced---and I think we would have seen such an announcement and the reaction to it on multiple websites.

05-09-2021, 12:11 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It has been known for ages Adobe is a greedy company which tries to lock in their customers by any means. If you ignore all warnings and still use their products you will inevitably be confronted with the nasty consequences at some time.
I am afraid your post is not helpful at all. Perhaps you should try Twitter. I will be blocking any more posts from you. This behaviour is not helpful on a serious forum like PF.
05-09-2021, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It has been known for ages Adobe is a greedy company which tries to lock in their customers by any means. If you ignore all warnings and still use their products you will inevitably be confronted with the nasty consequences at some time.
And I am convinced Adobe is using straw-men on fora to promote their products and to compensate for critical voices.
I knew beforehand that reactions like those of AggieDad would come in. It's always the same pattern. Using straw-men is standard practice, even used by respectable organiations like the EU during elections.
Kobayashi, you have expressed some very strong feelings and seem to have a real problem with Adobe. Perhaps you feel they didn't treat you fairly at some time in the past. I understand that, and I am sorry if you have been wronged.

However, while you are entitled to your own opinion, you are not entitled to your own personal set of facts. Please do not link me with your opinion that Adobe uses straw men. I am no-one's straw man. I am merely a retired math teacher enjoying the (late) autumn of his years. Disagree with me if you will. I welcome it. But please do not project your personal thoughts and opinions on me. Thank you.
05-09-2021, 12:29 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Any mechanism that locks peoples hard work into a what is effectively a ransom vault should be criticized imho. Adobe knew and fully understood what the consequences of not paying up would be for users. Fully grasping and additionally acting on this knowledge was made difficult for users by Adobes status in the market. They abused their near monopoly status to enact changes that no user wanted. A smaller company would never have gotten away with it. They had engineered lock in. It is and was possible to extract oneself and their data from this situation but it would have demanded considerable time and effort and understanding. Something many would have difficulties doing.

I got sick of it when Adobe bought Macromedia and Autodesk bought Maya. I just knew there could no longer be any thing positive coming out of these companies.This was in the mid 2000's... Since then I made an effort to learn free software alternatives as the reality is that most of the limitations are your skills and knowledge. If you've always used Gimp, Photoshop will seem awkward and illogical.

I was a student at the time running pirate versions of lots of expensive software systems. All the time doing this I was at risk due to acting illegally. When working during holidays and weekends the firms started showing interest in buying the software I was proficient in since I knew them so well. This made me really pissed off because I realized that I was making lots of money for these software companies whilst they were threatening me. Again I just thought no way I'm investing a second more than I need to in these companies. The value is my skill and since I've used gimp at work still producing better stuff and faster than most others.

05-09-2021, 01:20 PM   #23
Veteran Member

As others have pointed out, this is almost surely a technical glitch that is causing OP to get such a message. Rather over the top for him to come in here and start throwing around words like “reprehensible” rather than asking for help figuring out what the issue is.
05-09-2021, 02:01 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
Assuming that you have ON1 Photo RAW 2020 or later installed, you have another option if you want to preserve (most of) your Lightroom edits. However, you'll need to start a 7-day trial of Lightroom Classic in order to take advantage of it. When you installed ON1, it should have asked you whether you wanted to install plug-ins into Lightroom and, hopefully, you said yes. One of the plug-ins available within Lightroom, following installation of ON1, is entitled "Migrate Catalog to ON1 Photo".
Thanks subsea. Yes, I am aware of this, and it is probably what I will do. However, I was content to continue using LrC as a dumb viewer for old files on an ongoing basis, as per their stated policy. However, the ability to approximately recover these edits using other software does not seem to me to absolve Adobe of the responsibility to allow me access to my own edited images, made under full license. It seems to say, "If you ever use LrC for a time, you are locked in to paying for it forever." Is this even legal?
05-09-2021, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have not seen anything from Adobe that says they’ve changed their policy and will now lock you out of accessing your files with the edits that you’ve already made. So I don’t know exactly what’s going on. That being said, I have had problems getting tech support from Adobe which prompted me to look at ON1. With all the progress ON1 has been making in adding capability and the fact that, in my opinion, they’ve got the best selection and masking tools available, I have no reason to regret the move to ON1.
05-09-2021, 02:36 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
s entitled "Migrate Catalog to ON1 Photo". If you select that plug-in under the File menu in Lightroom, Lightroom will take your catalog and the plug-in will move your images into ON1
I was about to give this option until I read you response.
05-09-2021, 02:39 PM - 3 Likes   #27
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I am afraid your post is not helpful at all. Perhaps you should try Twitter. I will be blocking any more posts from you. This behaviour is not helpful on a serious forum like PF.

who doesn't love the 'ignore' button?

(:
05-09-2021, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
who doesn't love the 'ignore' button?

(:
ROFL
05-09-2021, 03:15 PM   #29
Veteran Member

LOL. So many people are disturbed by the thought of not being able to escape from Adobe, and then attacking the person who brought it to their attention.
05-09-2021, 03:51 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

LOL. So many people are disturbed by the thought of not being able to escape from Adobe, and then attacking the person who brought it to their attention.
That is disingenuous, Kobayashi. That's not what is going on here at all, and I believe you are well aware of that.
Closed Thread