Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2021, 06:14 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What sort of specs should I be looking for in a monitor?

I currently use a laptop for editing and looking at photo's but based on another thread it seems that a lot of people use, and prefer, a monitor for that sort of work. Given that monitors are relatively cheap I'm thinking of getting one and using my laptop as the processing unit for photo work.

But what sort of specs and features should I look for? 27" seems to be a widely used size and there are plenty of options, or should I go for a larger screen? What else should my potential purchase have - this is probably only going to be used for photo's so I'm looking for something that is suited to that?

05-09-2021, 06:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Don't forget that resolution plays a big factor in size, I don't think I could bear using a 27" 1080p monitor for long, everything would seem very large and pixelated. Of course this depends on your eyesight, but personally I find a 27" 2160p ("4k") monitor is the perfect pixel pitch for me, for everything from photos to office work (I'm also using this just connected to a laptop). If you're using it just for photography, make sure you're getting something with good colour coverage and brightness, contrast, etc, that works for photos. If you provide a rough budget, that may help give an idea what sort of features to look for that are attainable in your range, as excellent photo monitors can go into the thousands.
05-09-2021, 06:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Don't forget that resolution plays a big factor in size, I don't think I could bear using a 27" 1080p monitor for long, everything would seem very large and pixelated. Of course this depends on your eyesight, but personally I find a 27" 2160p ("4k") monitor is the perfect pixel pitch for me, for everything from photos to office work (I'm also using this just connected to a laptop). If you're using it just for photography, make sure you're getting something with good colour coverage and brightness, contrast, etc, that works for photos. If you provide a rough budget, that may help give an idea what sort of features to look for that are attainable in your range, as excellent photo monitors can go into the thousands.
Thanks, I would be hoping to pay a maximum of about $500 - 600.
05-09-2021, 06:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Look for high sRGB

I just read that using Adobe RGB can give you a color mismatch for your print as most prints use sRGB standard.

Last edited by Tesla; 05-10-2021 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Learned more about sRGB vs Adobe RGB
05-09-2021, 06:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'll want a monitor that uses IPS technology as opposed to TN technology. Much better image quality and color range. When looking at specs, pay attention to the %age of the sRGB color gamut that it can reproduce. The higher the percentage, the better, assuming other specs are similar. A lower percentage means that the monitor can't reproduce all the colors that your camera can capture.

[edit]
QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
Look for 100% Adobe RGB
This is an even wider color gamut than sRGB. You'll have to see if your camera is capable of capturing Adobe RGB.

Last edited by Apet-Sure; 05-09-2021 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Follow-up to Tesla's comment.
05-09-2021, 07:39 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I too have been looking. The monitor I currently have on my desktop makes the images look like trash, as opposed to the wonderful display on my laptop. Here is a link for some monitors for photography, I came across...I'm considering their number 2 or 3 suggestion -
  • the LG 27UL500-W - a 4K IPS monitor 27 inch display, 3840 x 2160 resolution with a 16:9 aspect ratio, with 2 HDMI inputs, and 1 Display port, which runs $350 USD.
  • the ASUS ProArt Display PA278QV - an IPS monitor 27 inch display, 2560 x 1440 resolution with a 16:9 aspect ratio, with 1 HDMI inputs, and 1 Display port, which runs $300 USD.
I have not pulled the trigger yet.... The Asus is 100% sRGB.

05-09-2021, 07:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, please keep the info and recommendations coming. I'm not a tech expert so all help is appreciated. Any suggestions on screen size?

05-09-2021, 07:44 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
Thanks, I would be hoping to pay a maximum of about $500 - 600.
QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
Look for 100% Adobe RGB

Hmmmmmmm

---------- Post added 05-10-21 at 03:50 AM ----------

I use a 27" monitor, 2560*1440. Perfect for photographic editing. I would have a look at BenQ, I hear good things about their products.

I use an Eizo AdobeRGB monitor, but it is out of your budget. Unless you do a lot of printing or extensive editing you dont need a wide gamut monitor.
05-09-2021, 07:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had an ASUS ProArt 246Q and a BenQ SW2700PT.. both representing in the "value full gamut P-IPS display" category - I especially need the inputs (USB and SD Card Reader) as a consideration. The Asus is not available any longer, and that's why i upgraded to a 27" display. They're both good and I have no gripes and they were in the ballpark of your price range when I bought my last one a few years ago.
05-10-2021, 02:18 AM   #10
Forum Member

You may want to go for a monitor with HDR. Here you can find a list: HDR Monitor List 2021 [Always Updated] - DisplayNinja. As (almost) always, you get what you pay for. If you are serious about color accuracy, I think $ 500-600 is a bit to low. I have the BenQ EX 3501R: The Best HDR Monitors for 2021 | Digital Trends. I like the wide aspect ratio as it allows you to have the editing tools on the side.
05-10-2021, 06:26 AM   #11
dlhawes

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
You'll want a monitor that uses IPS technology as opposed to TN technology. Much better image quality and color range. When looking at specs, pay attention to the %age of the sRGB color gamut that it can reproduce. The higher the percentage, the better, assuming other specs are similar. A lower percentage means that the monitor can't reproduce all the colors that your camera can capture.
Good stuff, agree completely; I'd add that it's good to get one that's certified to be calibrated for color accuracy by the manufacturer unless you get one that can be calibrated by the use and you're willing to get the equipment and software required.
05-10-2021, 08:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I've been using an Asus PB328Q the last five years. It checks a lot of the boxes for me.
05-10-2021, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
Good stuff, agree completely
I said something right? Wow, mark it on the calendar!

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
I'd add that it's good to get one that's certified to be calibrated for color accuracy by the manufacturer
Good point. My Viewsonic VP2468 came with a certificate of calibration listing all the tests they did and the results.
05-10-2021, 10:17 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I currently use a laptop for editing and looking at photo's but based on another thread it seems that a lot of people use, and prefer, a monitor for that sort of work. Given that monitors are relatively cheap I'm thinking of getting one and using my laptop as the processing unit for photo work.

But what sort of specs and features should I look for? 27" seems to be a widely used size and there are plenty of options, or should I go for a larger screen? What else should my potential purchase have - this is probably only going to be used for photo's so I'm looking for something that is suited to that?
Wide gamut and resolution. I just picked up a 27" 4k Viewsonic that is 100% Adobe RGB. I love it.
05-10-2021, 11:09 AM   #15
Pentaxian

This 4K ViewSonic is 100% sRGB and is in your price range.
ViewSonic VP2768-4K, 27 Professional Monitor

I think you can find cheaper than directly from ViewSonic.