Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2021, 03:52 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snakebite Quote
I was all set to pull the trigger on DXO PureRaw
What killed PureRaw for me was the file size increase. Made it prohibitive to just process all of my files through it as step 1. And if I'm having to pick and choose files to process, well, I already have DeNoise.

I also noticed that the output wasn't particularly 'clean.' I saw color shifts and exposure changes that I would much rather be controlling myself in a real raw processor.

05-12-2021, 07:49 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zjacreman Quote
What killed PureRaw for me was the file size increase. Made it prohibitive to just process all of my files through it as step 1. And if I'm having to pick and choose files to process, well, I already have DeNoise.

I also noticed that the output wasn't particularly 'clean.' I saw color shifts and exposure changes that I would much rather be controlling myself in a real raw processor.
I haven’t tried that stand alone but just the in-line bit. I haven’t seen those issues yet but my use wasn’t a torture test at all.
05-12-2021, 08:20 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I was all set to pull the trigger on DXO PureRaw, but I may wait to see how this compares.
I'm also waiting. If ON1 NoNoise isn't good, I think I'll go with PhotoLab as it gives you more control than PureRaw. Some people think that PureRaw sharpens too much.
05-13-2021, 01:04 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
By the way, ON1 have issued a challenge.

They ask you to submit a noisy DNG Raw file.

"In the ON1 NoNoise Challenge you submit noisy images to us! Our moderators will sift through the submissions, process noisy photo selections using ON1 NoNoise AI, and share the results on the challenge page. We'll choose four images each week leading up to the release and post the before/after photo. Those who have their photo selected get ON1 NoNoise AI free of charge."
First four images are up.

05-14-2021, 05:33 PM - 2 Likes   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
First four images are up.
Meh. I'm not exactly impressed. There's a lot of softness in those results. I'd like to see a head to head, but from what I've seen, DxO would win that hands down.
05-15-2021, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Meh. I'm not exactly impressed. There's a lot of softness in those results. I'd like to see a head to head, but from what I've seen, DxO would win that hands down.
If I were them, I would choose images which make their NoNoise look good. That owl one is a very sad example ...
05-26-2021, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Three more sample images have been posted. I don't think it is as good as DxO's DeepPRIME or Topaz's Severe Noise.

ON1 NoNoise Challenge – ON1

05-27-2021, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can definitely see the smoothing. It's taking detail along with noise out of the images.

(Not that these are great images -- many of them are kind of soft before processing).
06-12-2021, 10:56 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
You can definitely see the smoothing. It's taking detail along with noise out of the images.

(Not that these are great images -- many of them are kind of soft before processing).
5 more samples posted. I think they picked better images this time.
07-06-2021, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Jim Nix review on NoNoise

07-06-2021, 02:16 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's better and faster than I expected. However, as an ON1 Photo Raw 2021 user, I will wait for it to be incorporated there (in the 2022 version) rather than fiddling with a stand-alone.

It's good to see ON1 catching up in this space.
07-08-2021, 06:08 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure once incorporated into On1 Raw 2022 the workflow will be smoother, but there isn't much fiddling needed as it stands now -- at least that's how I see it. In the Browse module of On1 Raw 2021, before any editing, you can send your images to NoNoise, process them there, and send them back to On1 Raw 2021 as DNG files to begin processing. The DNG files returned from NoNoise are easily identified as "_nonoise" is added to the file name. And, I'm really pleased with how well NoNoise performs.
07-08-2021, 05:59 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Been using ON1 Photo RAW for three years now. Preordered nonoise for $40.00. Downloaded it this morning. So far so good. No judgement made yet. Have been using Topaz Denoise AI. For me $40.00 was a small investment to see if ON1 nonoise is worse, the same or better. Time will tell. But I'll know if I personally like it because I will be using it. NOT reading what other people think about it. Kinda like reading DPR reviews of Pentax cameras.
07-16-2021, 04:28 AM   #29
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I pre-purchased a copy and recently downloaded/installed NN2021 on my Mac mini - and had to uninstall it and ask for a refund....

on an older machine, it was unstable, slow, and nearly unusable...
07-23-2021, 04:01 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by West Penn Quote
I'm sure once incorporated into On1 Raw 2022 the workflow will be smoother, but there isn't much fiddling needed as it stands now -- at least that's how I see it. In the Browse module of On1 Raw 2021, before any editing, you can send your images to NoNoise, process them there, and send them back to On1 Raw 2021 as DNG files to begin processing. The DNG files returned from NoNoise are easily identified as "_nonoise" is added to the file name. And, I'm really pleased with how well NoNoise performs.
This.

I've downloaded two updates so far. Liking it more all the time. Still haven't had the occasion to push the envelope with a high ISO. Let's say 3200 or above but so far I've been happy with just the auto settings with minor tweaks. Still early in the process but as of today I'm leaning towards liking it better than Topaz Denoise AI which I've been using for a couple of years. ON1 Photo RAW is the editing software I use. Could be it doesn't play well with others(?) I don't know. For me... so far so good.