Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2021, 04:19 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you know ART? ART is a fork of RawTherapee.

I recently stumbled upon ART when I was looking up something about RawTherapee. The description on its homepage says it still has Rawtherapee's core functions and overall layout but looking at the interface there are some changes. Some more exotic stuff has been cut out other functions have been modified and overall the interface has been simplified so it appears a bit more accessible now.

Curious as I am I gave it a try and I can say I quite like it. Especially handy is the "Tone Eqalizer" in my opinion which summarises the functionality (of a big part) of "Exposure" and "Highlights/Shadows" (which it replaces). So there is no "Highlight compression" slider any longer but instead you'll find a "Whites" slider in the "Tone Equalizer" section to do that job.

The one thing I'm really missing so far is the "Slider/Curve" toggle in "Noise Reduction" that Rawtherapee offers. Switching to "Curves" makes it possible to adress luminance noise reduction to whatever degree to a deteminable tonal range, say only the dark shadows.

Hope my school English is not too quirky in my effort to describe the differences between RT and ART.

Thought I'd mention it for once since I didn't find anything about ART in the forum yet.

agriggio / ART / wiki / Home ? Bitbucket

Last edited by Simon K; 05-12-2021 at 04:28 PM.
05-12-2021, 04:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Just tried it. UI still looks very much like Raw Therapee. I was hoping for something completely different, Lightroom-wise. Pass.
05-12-2021, 04:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I've used it. It's ok. It's a bit too simplified for me. I still rather use Rawtherapee. Been using it for the past 7 years now, so I'm way beyond comfortable with it. It only takes me a few clicks to batch tens, hundreds, or thousands of RAW files.
05-12-2021, 05:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm getting use to RT now and like it more everyday (moving away from Lightroom). I tried this and to me it seems to be a simplified version of RT. Much like Photoshop Elements is to Photoshop.

05-12-2021, 05:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Just tried it. UI still looks very much like Raw Therapee. I was hoping for something completely different, Lightroom-wise. Pass.
Yes basically it's a bread and butter version of RT.

---------- Post added 05-12-21 at 05:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I've used it. It's ok. It's a bit too simplified for me. I still rather use Rawtherapee. Been using it for the past 7 years now, so I'm way beyond comfortable with it. It only takes me a few clicks to batch tens, hundreds, or thousands of RAW files.
You get used to it. ART might be less intimidating for starters.

---------- Post added 05-12-21 at 05:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I'm getting use to RT now and like it more everyday (moving away from Lightroom). I tried this and to me it seems to be a simplified version of RT. Much like Photoshop Elements is to Photoshop.
Good comparison.
05-12-2021, 10:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I’m still learning rawtherapee but I have to admit that tone equalizer and noise sliders are excellent tools. The former is a bit trickier ...
05-12-2021, 11:06 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have never been able to get enthused with RawTherapee, so did give ART a bit of a try for while, and found it suited me a bit better. I been a darktable user for some time and that does suit my palate.
Initially ART provided appimages on the web site, which made it simple to install on Linux, but for some reason they haven't been available since v1.7.1 if I recall correctly.
As ART is now at v1.8.4 it would be interesting to see how it has developed, but as no Linux binary seems to available I'll have to give it a miss...I'm not about to start building it myself from source.

Cheers,
Terry