Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2021, 02:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

PENTAX colours

Hello,
I just found out (after 4 years of heavy camera usage) about how useful the PENTAX Custom Image modes are. I love the possibility to change them extensively in-camera too. I shoot in RAW (sometimes +JPG), so when opening the file the adjustments dissapear. The JPGs sometimes show colour artifacts. So what I wanted to know, is whether there is a possibility to add those modes to Lr or Ps (like Fuji´s film simulations) for less agressive editing. As presets, profiles, etc. I especially like the Bleach Bypass.
Thanks for your replies,
J.

05-13-2021, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You can in DCU.
05-13-2021, 03:24 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ShutterPro Quote
Hello,
I just found out (after 4 years of heavy camera usage) about how useful the PENTAX Custom Image modes are. I love the possibility to change them extensively in-camera too. I shoot in RAW (sometimes +JPG), so when opening the file the adjustments dissapear. The JPGs sometimes show colour artifacts. So what I wanted to know, is whether there is a possibility to add those modes to Lr or Ps (like Fuji´s film simulations) for less agressive editing. As presets, profiles, etc. I especially like the Bleach Bypass.
Thanks for your replies,
J.
Both LR and PS have Pentax profiles. You can apply them during raw processing.
05-13-2021, 03:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Both LR and PS have Pentax profiles. You can apply them during raw processing.
Oh, I didn't know that. Could you please send me further information?

05-13-2021, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, I didn't know that. Could you please send me further information?
In LR select the Develop module. Click on the Profile ...select browse and you will see a number of profile options including "camera matching".

Camera Raw in PS is the same. You can roll over the profiles and your screen image changes so you can choose which one you want to select
Attached Images

05-13-2021, 05:04 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Not all Pentax bodies have “Camera Matching” profiles in LR/ACR. Also, the more “creative” custom image settings don’t have profiles provided. I spent a couple bucks buying something someone claimed was a collection of profiles that match the Pentax custom image settings, but the results were rather poor. As a K-3 iii owner, I am currently waiting to see if Adobe is kind and gives us more camera matching profiles when they add them for the K-3 iii. As OP mentions, you Adobe provides matches for the Fuji film simulations and I’ve seen that some of the Nikon mirrorless versions are there, too.

If Adobe doesn’t provide, I’m thinking of following some tutorials for making my own profiles to emulate the custom image settings they don’t give us. I can’t be arsed to go over to DCU just to see if reversal film or bleach bypass looks interesting. The main concern I have about trying to roll my own profiles is that they rely on printing out a color chart, and so then you’re relying on the color gamut of a printer and paper.
05-13-2021, 06:41 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
In LR select the Develop module. Click on the Profile ...select browse and you will see a number of profile options including "camera matching".

Camera Raw in PS is the same. You can roll over the profiles and your screen image changes so you can choose which one you want to select
Ah, I have the K-70 currently, and I don´t see those profiles. Maybe that´s that. But thanks a lot.

---------- Post added 05-13-21 at 06:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Not all Pentax bodies have “Camera Matching” profiles in LR/ACR. Also, the more “creative” custom image settings don’t have profiles provided. I spent a couple bucks buying something someone claimed was a collection of profiles that match the Pentax custom image settings, but the results were rather poor. As a K-3 iii owner, I am currently waiting to see if Adobe is kind and gives us more camera matching profiles when they add them for the K-3 iii. As OP mentions, you Adobe provides matches for the Fuji film simulations and I’ve seen that some of the Nikon mirrorless versions are there, too.

If Adobe doesn’t provide, I’m thinking of following some tutorials for making my own profiles to emulate the custom image settings they don’t give us. I can’t be arsed to go over to DCU just to see if reversal film or bleach bypass looks interesting. The main concern I have about trying to roll my own profiles is that they rely on printing out a color chart, and so then you’re relying on the color gamut of a printer and paper.
Ok, that may be the problem. I tried to tweak the curves to make my own BB preset, but the one PENTAX provides is far better - at least at portraits.

05-13-2021, 06:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The Pentax Digital Camera Utility 5 (PDCU5) is the only app that can match Pentax colors 100% dead on, but it is very limited & can be buggy at times.

Depending on your camera, Lightroom is the next closest one. The Adobe .dcp files have the color info. You can get those Adobe .dcp files & use them in other programs like RawTherapee & DxO to get Pentax colors as well.
05-13-2021, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Ah, I have the K-70 currently, and I don´t see those profiles. Maybe that´s that. But thanks a lot.
Yeah, no camera matching profiles at all for the K-70. If I do wind up making my own for bleach bypass, reversal film, etc., I’ll definitely share them here (for free). I have a K-70 and K-50 to hand to test out if the profiles give at least approximately the same effects on images from those as from the K-3 iii that is now my primary body.
05-13-2021, 12:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
BleachBypass is same what cross-processing for film. Here is some tutorial how you can do it manually in PS: Cross Processing in Photoshop - color negative art effect | PhotoshopSupport.com.

As I don’t use PS, same could be done in GIMP, but I won’t tell you how, because only tutorial I rely on is in polish.

Edit: um, my error, bleachbypass is not same what cross-processing.

Last edited by LukaszWro; 05-15-2021 at 06:58 AM.
05-14-2021, 03:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Yeah, no camera matching profiles at all for the K-70. If I do wind up making my own for bleach bypass, reversal film, etc., I’ll definitely share them here (for free). I have a K-70 and K-50 to hand to test out if the profiles give at least approximately the same effects on images from those as from the K-3 iii that is now my primary body.
That would be awesome. I can share what I have, but it is a bit too reddish at times, I'll have to streamline it. If you're interested, I can send you the file as a Lr preset throug a PM.
05-14-2021, 05:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

That would be awesome. I can share what I have, but it is a bit too reddish at times, I'll have to streamline it. If you're interested, I can send you the file as a Lr preset throug a PM.
Sure, I’d be curious to see what you’ve got.