Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2021, 08:23 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking for a program that will show full-screen images with Windows 10.

I've got myself a nice big 27" monitor but the standard viewing program that comes with Windows 10 doesn't show full-screen images, which would be handy. A bit of Googling comes up with Irfanview which seems to get good feedback and has the added bonus of being free. Are there any others that will give me a bigger picture on the screen?

05-14-2021, 08:35 PM   #2
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FastStone Image Viewer
05-14-2021, 08:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Irfanview and FastStone are perhaps the most commonly used. They have different feature sets so try both and see which you prefer. I use both for various things.
05-14-2021, 09:55 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
but the standard viewing program that comes with Windows 10 doesn't show full-screen image
The Photos app in windows 10 has a full screen button on the bottom right.

05-15-2021, 05:27 AM   #5
5ks
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Irfanview and FastStone are perhaps the most commonly used. They have different feature sets so try both and see which you prefer. I use both for various things.
I also recommend both IrfanView and FastStone Image Viewer. The former I have set my default image viewer for my Windows PC. I can view any photo full screen starting from Windows File Manager with only two hits of Enter. The latter is great for browsing image folders when you have two monitors. Put the thumbnails on one monitor and a full screen 'preview' of selected photo on another. But there is a lot you can do with both of these. Check the menus and options/properties to find what's best for you.
05-15-2021, 11:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Iíll second FastStone. Easy , fast, simple and takes some basic pp if you like...
05-15-2021, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
This.

In Windows 10, open an image with Photos & then press the F5 key to go into full screen. No need for any other viewers.

05-15-2021, 09:57 PM   #8

You may want to give JPEGView a try.
Simple, small executable and free.

05-15-2021, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup. Not sure why one would need anything else.
05-16-2021, 01:36 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
There is one situation actually

Windows 10 Photo app is not a colour managed application. So for anyone using a wide gamut monitor, viewing an image (eg. jpeg in sRGB colour space) will show over-saturated colours.

But of course anyone using a wide gamut monitor will have colour-managed apps to view them on anyway.

Last edited by pschlute; 05-16-2021 at 04:13 AM.
05-16-2021, 10:30 AM   #11
5ks
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Sure, if all you want is a full screen view, it's possible without additional software. But you might also like to do a lot more with e.g. IrfanView and/or FastStone. And should you not be happy with them, you can always get your money back!
05-17-2021, 09:58 AM   #12
Pentaxian

There is one situation actually

Windows 10 Photo app is not a colour managed application. So for anyone using a wide gamut monitor, viewing an image (eg. jpeg in sRGB colour space) will show over-saturated colours.

But of course anyone using a wide gamut monitor will have colour-managed apps to view them on anyway.
I use the photo app all the time for initial culling, where I delete based on non-color related issues. I.e. Motion blur, missed focus, composition, etc. So if this is what you are using it for, there's no need for being extremely accurate. The only thing I find lacking is treating raw and associated jpegs as fully separate files. True, they are, but being able to delete a file and have it automatically delete the corresponding raw/jpeg would be handy. I put 2000 clicks on at an event with a final edit of less than 100 photos. That's a lot of deleting!

Then again, I've yet to have a perfect jpeg SOOC. I'm half tempted to just save as RAW only, making this a moot point for me.
05-17-2021, 11:49 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
The only thing I find lacking is treating raw and associated jpegs as fully separate files. True, they are,
As far as Windows10 viewer and most viewers and software are concerned they are entirely separate files. Correctly in my opinion.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Then again, I've yet to have a perfect jpeg SOOC. I'm half tempted to just save as RAW only
Develop yourself a good raw workflow with software you are comfortable with and just shoot raw. Flag/mark the images you want to work on and block delete the rest. Process the good ones and save as jpeg