Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2021, 11:20 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good, clear tutorials on what to do to an image.

Not looking for how to do something in post processing. More like showing different Raw images and what to do to improve them. For example totally underexposed image can be lightened but it still looks kind of weak. What post tools are used to fix that?

Thanks,
barondla

05-15-2021, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Not looking for how to do something in post processing. More like showing different Raw images and what to do to improve them. For example totally underexposed image can be lightened but it still looks kind of weak. What post tools are used to fix that?

Thanks,
barondla
Having a shared concern, using PhotoShop in a Windows envrionment, found Blake Rudis' videos enlightening. There's lots of material out there, but the way Blake presents, rings with me.

f64 Academy - YouTube
05-15-2021, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DXO has some nice videos but they are tool specific.
05-15-2021, 01:17 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good, clear tutorials on what to do to an image.

Not trying to be impolite, but grab your sliders.

Every Expert out there has their own work flow and vision. I started years ago following Scott Kelby in Photoshop.

What I found was following his advice, I got many of his results, which was fine, but not what I wanted. So I started by playing until I found my workflow wants.

You know what you like, find your way in less time than watching videos.

Affinity Photo and Photoshop are the players, google them for hundreds of starters

Hang up and DRIVE!

05-15-2021, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks,
barondla
Could you be more specific? What does "still looks kind of weak" mean? Please also state the software you are using right now. I find this post from you most curious, as you seem to be an experienced photographer....

If I know more, then I may have some good tips to start.
05-15-2021, 02:04 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are using Photoshop or Lightroom, you might want to investigate Phlearn. I find their video tutorials very complete and they address every possible thing you could ever want to do in post processing. They have a very fine free course called 30 Days of Photoshop and a number of other no-charge tutorials. For a subscription of about $100 per year, you get access to all of their “pro” tutorials.

I highly recommend them.
05-15-2021, 02:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
photo post processing tutorials - Google Search

14.9 million returns to a Google search.

05-15-2021, 02:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks,
barondla
I agree with texandrews, what software you use or if you're open to learning new ones would help getting more useful answers.
05-15-2021, 03:29 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
DXO has some nice videos but they are tool specific.
+1. DxO Academy - Turorials, Best Practices & Tips I have learned a lot from these.

For using the Nik Collection (the old version is still available for free from DxO), I also found Robin Whalley's YouTube videos very helpful: Robin Whalley - YouTube He also has tutorials on ON1, DxO PL, Affinity, Photoshop and Lightroom.

Last edited by Des; 05-15-2021 at 03:40 PM.
05-15-2021, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #10
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I agree with texandrews, what software you use or if you're open to learning new ones would help getting more useful answers.
This is important. Different software handles (for example) shadow boosting better or worse.

Some of them (mostly freeware) do a poor job without a lot of careful play in my experiences. Something like Lightroom or Photolab is easy as just moving the Shadows slider to the right a bit. Your mileage may vary.

I also shoot a half stop underexposed. It is easier to bring up detail from shadows than it is to bring down details from blown out highlights. So camera setup can matter somewhat too.
05-15-2021, 06:08 PM   #11

Totally underexposed is not so bad at all, given the capabilities of Pentax cameras to capture detail even in the darkest places. I sometimes tend to deliberately under expose so that I can obtain higher shutter speeds. I actually find that this tends to enhance colours, which is the opposite to the findings of the OP
05-15-2021, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Learning how to use the tools and what they do and don't do is the first step. From there it is basically experimentation until you discover your own style. Tutorials help some, but mostly teach you to process in the presenter's style. Which is probably way different from what you want.
05-15-2021, 06:26 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Could you be more specific? What does "still looks kind of weak" mean? Please also state the software you are using right now. I find this post from you most curious, as you seem to be an experienced photographer....

If I know more, then I may have some good tips to start.
I am an experienced photographer, but not very experienced in post processing. I'm an old Kodachrome shooter. Get it right in camera. I've loosened up some with digital, but still very much get it right in camera.

I have Photoshop Elements, Gimp, Pentax DCU 5, and free Nik collection.

With the K-1 and especially 645Z, shadows can be lifted quite a bit. But sometimes the tones near the midrange look desaturated. But simply adding saturation still doesn't seem to do the trick. It starts to look unnatural.

Thanks,
barondla
05-15-2021, 07:11 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am an experienced photographer, but not very experienced in post processing. I'm an old Kodachrome shooter. Get it right in camera. I've loosened up some with digital, but still very much get it right in camera.

I have Photoshop Elements, Gimp, Pentax DCU 5, and free Nik collection.

With the K-1 and especially 645Z, shadows can be lifted quite a bit. But sometimes the tones near the midrange look desaturated. But simply adding saturation still doesn't seem to do the trick. It starts to look unnatural.

Thanks,
barondla
Blake Rudis is mentioned above. In one of his tutorials for On1 PhotoRAW a few years back he would start with a process to get the most out of the contrast available in the image. To do that he would set the over/under exposure indicators so he would know where the highlights and low lights would start to clip. The next step was to set the black and white points using sliders to get the most out of an image RAW file.

I don't know if this is something he still does but it's worth checking out and seeing if you can do similar with the sliders of the RAW processor you're using. The On1 develop tool has black, white, shadows and midtones sliders. Adjusting these and setting them to your taste is really preparing the image for how you want to process the image. It might help with managing the desaturated look you're referring to.

Tas
05-15-2021, 07:24 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

Contrast, black point, and white point are very helpful. Raw images in particular always need a significant contrast boost to my eye.

PS Elements uses Adobe Camera Raw, which is basically the same sliders as Lightroom. Thus, if you’re working with your raw files in PS Elements, you can peruse any of the many great tutorials designed for Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw. (Scott Kelby has done several “How I would edit your image” episodes of The Grid, which you can find on the KelbyOne YouTube channel. Terry White from Adobe also does some on his YouTube channel. I find that watching full image editing sequences from experts can help me learn to spot the times where certain tools/sliders are called for.)