Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-16-2021, 08:16 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Corel Paintshop Pro

Anyone using Corel Paintshop Pro? I have been using it since the X2 version and will be upgrading to the current one soon.

05-16-2021, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #2

I use the 2018 version but rely on DXO, current version 4, to process the raw image and then use paintshop for specific tasks. Corel has their own raw processing program, Aftershot, but I was never happy with the results.
05-16-2021, 11:08 AM   #3
5ks
Pentaxian

I have been using Paint Shop Pro for many years (instead of Photoshop). Lately not so much, because I can do most of my post processing with Lightroom (v.6). My latest PSP version is 2019 and I have no plans to upgrade. Earlier, I have used X3, X5, X9 before the 2019, and very often I was a bit disappointed in how little the upgrages offered for me. - But anyway, I think PSP is a very good (and cheap) alternative to Photoshop, if only you have something better (e.g. Lightroom) to deal with RAW files.
05-16-2021, 11:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But lightroom isn't sold separately anymore. Only together with PS. And I don't like it that you can't simply buy it but have to have pay every month again for it.

I like the batch processing of RAW with the use of a grey card in PS. Don't know or it is as easy (or even possible) with PSP.

Last edited by Sakura; 05-16-2021 at 12:09 PM.
05-16-2021, 11:56 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to use PSP, but moved to Affinity Photo for raster editing. Both PSP and Affinity offer rather poor support for RAW processing, IMHO.

Steve
05-16-2021, 02:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
90% of my images are processed solely in LR 5 (+ Nik collection; + hugin for stacking ), but when I want to go beyond the usual processing I switch to PSP 2019.
The only impediment for me is the somewhat limited supply of tutorials available, when I want to do something new (for me) and somewhat lost where to find it
05-16-2021, 04:57 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jjbacoomba Quote
Anyone using Corel Paintshop Pro? I have been using it since the X2 version and will be upgrading to the current one soon.
I used to use a version from 15??? years ago. These days I do very little processing, but when I do, it's with Elements 13.

Cheers,
Loyd

05-16-2021, 05:25 PM   #8
dlhawes

QuoteOriginally posted by jjbacoomba Quote
I've tried that as well as other Corel products, and can say that I hated all of them, as well as the way Corel relates to its customers. They took over Photoshop but the last version of that (which was a pretty good product, which I used to use religiously on Win XP) was discontinued years ago. I tried Gimp and hated that, too. I also have a somewhat aged version of Cyberlink Photodirector, which I use sporadically - can't say as how I'd recommend it.

I still use Silkypix for some things, but mostly use Serif Affinity Photo now. Affinity Photo is closely tied with their Affinity Publisher product, which I also use. When you have both, they act like one package with dual interfaces.

Here's a list of software available from SourceForge, which is reasonably neutral (and not just advertising Adobe):
Best Photo Editing Software - 2021 Reviews & Comparison
05-16-2021, 10:36 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
But lightroom isn't sold separately anymore. Only together with PS. And I don't like it that you can't simply buy it but have to have pay every month again for it.

I like the batch processing of RAW with the use of a grey card in PS. Don't know or it is as easy (or even possible) with PSP.
Since I got an Adobe Photography subscription, I've used Paintshop Pro considerably less, but I still like to have it around, as it provides both 32bit and 64bit versions, and only the 32bit version works with my aging scanner software for scanning slides and negatives, whereas Photoshop only supports 64 bit which means a considerably less capable Windows scanner driver.

For quick jobs, Paintshop Pro launches way quicker than Photoshop too.
05-17-2021, 07:06 AM   #10
5ks
Pentaxian

As you can see, jjbacoomba, there are multiple opinions and I think most of them are valid in this perspective: whatever you have learned to use first, and got used to use it, will probably please you for a long time. But there are also exceptions to this "rule", of course. Impossible to say which (combination of) software is best for any possible need and situation. Photoshop CC may be close, but considering its price, it's not ideal for all.

My learning curve in image processing has started years ago with PaintShopPro, and it was only its poor performance with RAW files that made me look for alternatives - and find Lightroom. I also had a trial with Photoshop, but did not like its complexity (and price). After learning how much can be done with Lightroom, this became my favorite, and PSP is now needed, say, for max 5 % of my post processing work. -- Unfortunately, a stand-alone license for Lightroom (up to version 6.x) may only be found second hand.
05-17-2021, 08:16 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 5ks Quote
As you can see, jjbacoomba, there are multiple opinions and I think most of them are valid in this perspective: whatever you have learned to use first, and got used to use it, will probably please you for a long time. But there are also exceptions to this "rule", of course. Impossible to say which (combination of) software is best for any possible need and situation. Photoshop CC may be close, but considering its price, it's not ideal for all.

My learning curve in image processing has started years ago with PaintShopPro, and it was only its poor performance with RAW files that made me look for alternatives - and find Lightroom. I also had a trial with Photoshop, but did not like its complexity (and price). After learning how much can be done with Lightroom, this became my favorite, and PSP is now needed, say, for max 5 % of my post processing work. -- Unfortunately, a stand-alone license for Lightroom (up to version 6.x) may only be found second hand.
Yes, these subscriptions start adding up. Hobbyists on pension--like me--make do with older technology. Wish I had bought Lightroom as a stand-alone licence while I was working and had the money. At the time, it seemed like a pointless investment since I was too busy to enjoy it. Now that I have all the time in the world...well!

Cheers,
Loyd
05-17-2021, 01:20 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also use ACDSee Photo Studio, for browsing, selecting, batch resizing and batch renaming, that works like a charm. But it's RAW handling is very limited. It is possible to use a grey card, but you have to first select a picture of the grey card and save the white balance setting as a profile and use that profile for the rest oft the pictures.
That is something what more RAW managers do. As far is i (now) know, PS is the only one who can batch process white balance and use the white balance of one of the pictures (the grey card) for the entire batch.
05-17-2021, 02:24 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also use ACDSee Photo Studio, for browsing, selecting, batch resizing and batch renaming, that works like a charm. But it's RAW handling is very limited. It is possible to use a grey card, but you have to first select a picture of the grey card and save the white balance setting as a profile and use that profile for the rest oft the pictures.
That is something what more RAW managers do. As far is i (now) know, PS is the only one who can batch process white balance and use the white balance of one of the pictures (the grey card) for the entire batch.
Thanks Sakura. Someone on another thread recommended Topaz Studio, so I downloaded this. Awaiting the member's advice on where to begin. Are you familiar with Topaz?

Cheers,
Loyd
05-18-2021, 08:14 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used Topaz Denoise as plugin for PS. But i am not a real fan of it. Used it at some indoor pictures of people. It handled the noise fine, but it made the faces of the people very soft so they didn't look real anymore but more like paintbrush drawings or something.
Just saw that Topaz also has a JPG to RAW AI program, but it can't do what i would like just the opposite, convert RAW to JPG. So i can delete the trial version again

So far, it seems that PS is the only program that can batch convert with the use of a grey card for the entire batch.
05-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used Topaz Denoise as plugin for PS. But i am not a real fan of it. Used it at some indoor pictures of people. It handled the noise fine, but it made the faces of the people very soft so they didn't look real anymore but more like paintbrush drawings or something.
Just saw that Topaz also has a JPG to RAW AI program, but it can't do what i would like just the opposite, convert RAW to JPG. So i can delete the trial version again

So far, it seems that PS is the only program that can batch convert with the use of a grey card for the entire batch.
Thanks for the feedback. Another member told me that the program works well for RAW DNG files. Are you using DNG or PEF? Why do you prefer one over the other?

I also noticed that you list a Vivitar 70-210 1:3.5. I have a Vivitar 70-210 1:4.5 Macro-Zoom. I also have a Vivitar Tele Converter 3x-22. These are collecting dust along with a box full of other old lenses I used for my Pentax film cameras. Would it be worth dusting off the Vivitar and trying it on my K3 or K5 bodies? Do you have any advice for using older lenses?

Cheers,
Loyd