Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2021, 07:39 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Questions about Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021.

1. If purchased in a bricks and mortar store, does it come on a disc? The computer I would like to use doesn't have internet access.

2. Adobe says it doesn't support Windows 7. Has anyone tried? My new computer plans were delayed by purchasing the Pentax 645 DFA 25 lens.

3. My 2011 PSE won't handle many things in 16 bit Tiff. Heard this has changed?

Thanks,
barondla

05-25-2021, 07:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I checked Amazon: you can buy either disk or download. The price is now the same $69.99 + taxes. Obviously if you do not have Amazon Prime there are will be some shipping charge for the disk(several dollars more). I have 2018 edition and it has indeed some feature limited to 8 bits. But I mostly use in as carrier for Adobe Camera Row and latest elements will give you access for latest ACR. Most likely this limitation stays in latest edition as well: it is not technical, just selling model. About Windows 7 I can't say anything: doesn't have it anymore.
05-25-2021, 08:29 AM   #3

If Windows 7 is not supported by the software it will not install on Windows 7.
05-25-2021, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

You may want to investigate Affinity Photo as well if Elements won't work for you.

The specs say it will run on Windows 7: Affinity Photo ? Complete Feature List

It's my preferred image editing program after giving up on Adobe when I got tired of paying for Adobe executives mansions.

05-25-2021, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
You may want to investigate Affinity Photo as well if Elements won't work for you.

It's my preferred image editing program after giving up on Adobe when I got tired of paying for Adobe executives mansions.

How uncharitable to folks that all have smaller yachts than Bezos! That said ; I agree that the Affinity option would be better moving forward than the PSE assuming they are willing to learn the new software.
05-25-2021, 09:42 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Because it is far better to pay for executive mansions for the owners of Serif, and get a second tier software suite for being so noble.
05-25-2021, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I think you'll like Affinity Photo. I don't think they have disks, but you can transfer the download via a USB flash drive.

05-25-2021, 10:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Because it is far better to pay for executive mansions for the owners of Serif, and get a second tier software suite for being so noble.
Nothing "second tier" about Affinity Photo.

If I were still teaching my photoshop classes at the college, I'd recommend the students buy Affinity Photo instead...

And on my Youtube channel it is what I recommend to my subscribers.
05-25-2021, 11:11 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Nothing "second tier" about Affinity Photo.
If I were still teaching my photoshop classes at the college, I'd recommend the students buy Affinity Photo instead...
And on my Youtube channel it is what I recommend to my subscribers.
Correct. AP is a very powerful editor. It is basically a PS clone, but IMO better.

One thing to note about PSE. PSE only has an 8-bit bit depth.
05-25-2021, 12:58 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Another thought about no Internet. Most software requires activation via Internet. I know PSE does. I'm not sure about AP. I uninstalled and installed AP with my laptop's wifi off and it worked, but not sure if it is because that it was previously installed on the computer.
05-25-2021, 01:30 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
One thing to note about PSE. PSE only has an 8-bit bit depth.
Is it true? My impression is different. Whenever raw by PSE is opened in ACR editing is done in 16 bit. Then after finishing in ACR file is moved to PSE. There simple editing (like cropping) doesn't require converting to 8 bit. But for some feature it indeed needed. I just try to avoid these features.
05-25-2021, 02:41 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Is it true? My impression is different. Whenever raw by PSE is opened in ACR editing is done in 16 bit. Then after finishing in ACR file is moved to PSE. There simple editing (like cropping) doesn't require converting to 8 bit. But for some feature it indeed needed. I just try to avoid these features.
You may be right. It has been awhile since I read about PSE. I just remember reading about converting to 8 bit.

---------- Post added 05-25-21 at 02:59 PM ----------

If you have to activate your software and you don't have home Internet, you may be able to turn on wifi hotspot on your phone and connect to it. If you have a desktop, you'll have to use an usb wifi adapter. They cost $15-$40.
05-26-2021, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnMc Quote
How uncharitable to folks that all have smaller yachts than Bezos! That said ; I agree that the Affinity option would be better moving forward than the PSE assuming they are willing to learn the new software.

I switched from PS to Affinity.... no major learning needed. My flow is almost the same

Hang up and DRIVE!
05-26-2021, 10:29 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
I switched from PS to Affinity.... no major learning needed. My flow is almost the same
I started PS at Fast Eddy so it was more a re-conditioning than learning I suppose. I don't know if the transition from PS or PSE would be more difficult. Hardly ever use the later. A novice coming from PSE is in for homework.
05-26-2021, 12:12 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnMc Quote
I started PS at Fast Eddy so it was more a re-conditioning than learning I suppose. I don't know if the transition from PS or PSE would be more difficult. Hardly ever use the later. A novice coming from PSE is in for homework.

Yup, pretty fair assessment. I’ve played in PSE a few time’s and found it got much better with maturity.
I think affinity has an edge in that it’s non destructive and no smart layers

Hang up and DRIVE!