Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2021, 11:01 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Flickr Lens Info

I don't usually mess with my images much, but I have noticed an interesting thing lately.

1) RAW images processed using Apple Photos, on my Mac Mini, seem to include the lens data when uploaded to Flickr as jpeg images.
2) RAW images processed on my Windows Laptop, using the Digital Camera Utility that came with the KP, only include the focal length and apeture.

What is is it that's different about the Windows laptop that it's stripping this data? I would think the Pentax utility would retain it.

Image 1, done on the Mac using apple photos

Image 2, processed on the Windows Computer using the Digital Camera Utility / Silky Pix

06-03-2021, 01:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don’t see lens name on either using my iPhone, I’ll look again later on my computer.

Edit:

On an iPad image one has the lens name. I’ll try a picture from DCU later.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 06-03-2021 at 02:01 PM.
06-03-2021, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I use a mac and ON1 (previously LR), and am used to seeing the lens identified on Flickr. I just tried editing a Raw image with DCU on my mac, saving as a jpeg and uploading to flickr, and the lens name was missing in Flickr. So it's DCU, not your laptop that is doing it.

HOWEVER, when I examine the DCU-generated jpeg file with exiftool, I see

Lens Type : HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW

Lens ID : HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW

On the other hand, for a file edited in ON1 I get

Lens Model : HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW

Lens : HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW

So, ON1 uses "Lens Model" and "Lens", one of which Flickr obviously understands, whilst DCU uses "Lens Type" and "Lens ID", both of which it seemingly does not.

BUT, when I use exiftool to examine the original DNG Raw file, it contains "Lens Type" and "Lens ID", so DCU is preserving the original format, which may be Pentax-preferred. On the other hand, ON1 and presumably other utilities are changing it to "Lens Model" and "Lens", perhaps because these are more widely recognised.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 06-03-2021 at 02:59 PM.
06-03-2021, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
By default, a Pentax camera writes the lens name to the Maker Notes in the image file (RAW or jpg). Flickr will only read it if it's in the EXIF. To display the lens name on Flickr it needs to be copied from one to the other. Some processing software does that (LR, maybe Apple Photos & ON1), others don't (e.g. PDCU, DxO). Mine doesn't so I use EXIFToolGui to do it before processing. See this thread: Pentax lens names in Flickr - PentaxForums.com
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
So, ON1 uses "Lens Model" and "Lens", one of which Flickr obviously understands, whilst DCU uses "Lens Type" and "Lens ID", both of which it seemingly does not.
Paul, if you click the "EXIF" button on the Metadata tab in ExifTool, you will see that the relevant Tag is "LensModel". That's what Flickr is looking for. There won't be an entry there by default for an image out of a Pentax camera. If you click the "Maker" button, you will see the relevant tag is "LensType", which is where the camera writes the entry.

I am guessing that ON1 has written the "LensModel" entry for you automatically from the value in the corresponding tag in Maker Notes.

Last edited by Des; 06-03-2021 at 10:54 PM.
06-03-2021, 03:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also just did a test upload with the same results. I also tested a Tamron lens which was nameless inside of DCU5.
06-03-2021, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
By default, a Pentax camera writes the lens name to the Maker Notes in the image file (RAW or jpg). Flickr will only read it if it's in the EXIF. To display the lens name on Flickr it needs to be copied from one to the other. Some processing software does that (LR, maybe Apple Photos & ON1), others don't (e.g. PDCU, DxO). Mine doesn't so I use EXIFToolGui to do it before processing. See this thread: Pentax lens names in Flickr - PentaxForums.com

Paul, if you click the "EXIF" button on the Metadata tab in ExifTool, you will see that the relevant Tag is "LensModel". That's what Flickr is looking for. It's blank by default for an image out of a Pentax camera. If you click the "Maker" button, you will see the relevant tag is "LensType", which is where the camera writes the entry.
This tip rocks!
06-03-2021, 10:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Paul, if you click the "EXIF" button on the Metadata tab in ExifTool, you will see that the relevant Tag is "LensModel". That's what Flickr is looking for. It's blank by default for an image out of a Pentax camera. If you click the "Maker" button, you will see the relevant tag is "LensType", which is where the camera writes the entry.
I was using exiftool from the command line, and grep to find every occurrence of "Lens"; no button.

I should add that ExifToolGUI is Windows-only ... which is why I don't have or use it.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 06-04-2021 at 05:51 AM.
06-04-2021, 03:44 AM   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
This tip rocks!
Yes ExifToolGui is terrific.

For those who want the short story, you can do both of these things with ExifToolGui:
1. You can copy the "LensType" info from Maker Notes to the "LensModel" tag in EXIF (which means that the lens details will show when the image is uploaded to Flickr) in a whole batch of photos at once by selecting them all and choosing "Exif: LensInfo from Maker Notes" from the Modify menu.
2. You can enter the name for an unrecognised lens in Maker Notes (e.g. one that just says "Sigma" or "A series lens") and then import that into the Exif by the same means. And you can also do that for a whole batch of photos at once.

It would be nice if this functionality were built in to DxO PL and could be automated. My pre-processing workflow is rather tedious:
- Copy image files from SD card to computer drive and do a cull.
- Check lens/camera info in Picture Information Extractor
- Rename files using scripts in RenameMaster. (Inserting the date taken, letter code for the camera and lens and a short form of where taken)
- Copy lens info from Maker Notes to EXIF (and change lens name where necessary) using ExifToolGui.
- Move to relevant folder(s) for processing (and make backup copy on another drive)
- Open relevant folder in DxO PL for processing.

Last edited by Des; 06-04-2021 at 02:21 PM.