Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2021, 08:05 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to get Faststone to recognise my K3iii as an external drive

I have been using Faststone since forever, and I love it. I have a perfect workflow for selecting keepers from my raw files.

For editing, I have changed between various platforms - open source raw editing, then LR4 and now Capture One - but I have stuck to Faststone for selecting and copying from my SD-cards.

Now my current computer doesn't have a card reader, but that hasn't been a problem, since my K3, K3ii and K1 can all just be plugged into a USB port, and I can access them as an external drive and do the selection and copying my usual way in Faststone.

The K3iii is different. Windows recognises it, but as a camera, not a standard external drive. Faststone can't see it at all.

So far I have had to copy everything into a folder on my desktop that I call "tmp" and then point Faststone to the tmp-folder to do the proper selection of keepers. This is a bit silly, it adds to my workflow, and it doesn't allow me to select and delete definite non-keepers from the card as I usually do in this proces (postpones the need for a complete reformat a bit).

I think there ought to be a way to make my computer recognise the sd cards as normal external drives, like I can with my other cameras. But I really have no idea how. There's usually very clever people around this place though... so, any ideas?

06-09-2021, 08:19 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
The K3iii is different. Windows recognises it, but as a camera, not a standard external drive. Faststone can't see it at all.
According to the K-3iii manual, Windows should mount the two SD cards as storage devices, unless Image Transmitter II is in use.

Steve
06-09-2021, 08:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

What is your USB settings? Perhaps there is the problem? You can set it to be seen as a camera or then as external drive. I have Finnish language, so I don’t know exactly what it says in your camera. Check that first
06-09-2021, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #4

The K-3iii is using MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) rather than Mass Storage Class protocol for the USB drive connection. You should be able to drag-n-drop your files from the camera to a folder on a drive connected to you computer. From there Fastone should be able to get the files from there.

Not all of my programs recognize MTP devices in the "File Open". I guess it depends on what version of the SDK, API, or libraries used to develop the software.

06-09-2021, 08:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the K-3II you had the option of selecting 'MSC' or 'PTP' protocols for the USB connection. No idea if that option is still available on the K-3III but on the K-3II it is under the wrench menu, screen 2.
06-09-2021, 09:14 AM   #6

The K-3iii just has MTP and CD-mode for the DCU install files.
06-09-2021, 10:09 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I found this comparison of MTP vs. MSC helpful...

Media Transfer Protocol | Comparison with USB Mass Storage - Wikipedia

There some clear advantages (no need to dismount/eject), but at the cost of possible incompatibility with some software.

Steve

06-09-2021, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Having an actual card reader is so much nicer than all this hassle. I mean, you can get a USB card reader for as low as $5. I've gotten a few free ones just from buying SD cards and batteries...
06-09-2021, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Having an actual card reader is so much nicer than all this hassle. I mean, you can get a USB card reader for as low as $5. I've gotten a few free ones just from buying SD cards and batteries...
Thanks for sharing that for the OP.
Agreeing with you here: insert the SD card into the USB card reader, plug to your computer ... Faststone will recognize that.
Simple and easy!
06-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Thanks for sharing that for the OP.
Agreeing with you here: insert the SD card into the USB card reader, plug to your computer ... Faststone will recognize that.
Simple and easy!
It has been a very long time since I tried a direct camera to computer transfer, but isn't the transfer speed also way faster with a card reader? (It used to be.) It also means I don't have to process everything right away I don't want. I have a "new photos" directory on my hard drive -- copy the contents of the SD card there to be sorted/imported later to Lightroom, pop the card back in the camera and I can erase the contents of the card and be ready to go for more shooting with it.
06-09-2021, 10:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I use card reader also, even if it is Mac USB-c as it usually is more pricey, still 30€ and it is easy. Cheaper for PC for sure

Not sure if computer charges camera as you download/atleast it should when you just have it attached. So handy feature that too..
06-09-2021, 11:13 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why dont you buy a usb cardreader, they are not so expensive and works well.
06-09-2021, 12:02 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Matter of taste, I guess. I have a usb card reader. It is the second I bought: The first one didn't work. This one is unstable, it often loses connection during transfer, and I end up with some uncopied photos and some corrupt files, and then I need to figure out which to copy again. Sure, I could buy a third one. But I would rather not.

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
What is your USB settings? Perhaps there is the problem? You can set it to be seen as a camera or then as external drive. I have Finnish language, so I don’t know exactly what it says in your camera. Check that first
I... guess this is the media transfer protocol that the other posters were discussing? Apparently this option disappeared from the K3ii to K3iii? (Will check the manual)

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The K-3iii is using MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) rather than Mass Storage Class protocol for the USB drive connection. You should be able to drag-n-drop your files from the camera to a folder on a drive connected to you computer. From there Fastone should be able to get the files from there.

Not all of my programs recognize MTP devices in the "File Open". I guess it depends on what version of the SDK, API, or libraries used to develop the software.
Yes, copying everything to a folder called tmp and subsequently deleting is what I do now. It's clunky, and a worse work flow than I had - but maybe it's the best I can do. Makes more sense than buying new hardware anyway - card readers are cheap, sure, but more cheap unnecessary electronics isn't what I need, really, and possibly also not what the planet needs (said the lady who just bought herself another two cameras *cough*)

Removing the cards from the camera and sticking them into a card reader is more of a hassle than making and deleting a tmp-folder too, I guess. Apart from the fact that, being a total scatterbrain, remembering to put the cards back in the camera before leaving the house is another tiny risk I don't need in my workflow.

Anyway, thank you for your input everyone. I will look into repaaps suggestion, but I am afraid it might just refer to the "MSC/PTP" option, which I guess is no longer available.

It wasn't such a huge problem anyway. Just one small disadvantage to an otherwise great upgrade.
06-09-2021, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

The right setting should be MSC like on your older camera's. But it is not there. Pentax designers forgot it, I think. MTP is different kind of protocol for copying files to the computer. MSC made your camera recognizable as a disk drive. With MTP you can only transfer files to your computer. Most programs like Faststone read from a disc which needs another kind of protocol than MTP or PTP. What you might try is setting the camera to CD-Rom (which after all is a disc-drive just like an SD card) and watch what happens, it turns your camera into a disc-drive and maybe your SD cards are seen as other cd-rom's as well (it looks like they used MSC protocol for that). If you set your camera to MTP it will be recognized but not as a disc-drive as you wrote and therefor other programs cannot read the contents of the SD-Cards.
06-09-2021, 01:19 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It has been a very long time since I tried a direct camera to computer transfer, but isn't the transfer speed also way faster with a card reader? (It used to be.) It also means I don't have to process everything right away I don't want. I have a "new photos" directory on my hard drive -- copy the contents of the SD card there to be sorted/imported later to Lightroom, pop the card back in the camera and I can erase the contents of the card and be ready to go for more shooting with it.
If you use a USB3 card reader with (USB3) connection to your computer, it is "fast enough".
And the way you want to set it up is just that: copy content of the SD card to your (computer) folder and use it later as you want. That is exactly what I have been doing for a few years now.