Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2021, 01:32 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
OK, let's stir the pot somewhat

Win 11 has not been tested on versions of Photoshop older than CC 2014 – I might have read this on t'internet, or maybe made it up. You decide!

06-16-2021, 01:53 PM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Meanwhile Microsoft is still clinging to X86 and making 32 bit versions of the OS.
Exiting x86: Why Apple and Microsoft are embracing the Arm-based PC - SiliconANGLE
06-16-2021, 01:55 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll believe it when I see it. M$ has been mucking about with the ARM version of Windows for years. The same way they mucked about with stylus based Windows for years. When NT 4 shipped the CD had versions for multiple different processors, even PPC, nothing came of them.
06-16-2021, 01:59 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
As far as I know all win 10 programs should work fine.

06-16-2021, 02:15 PM   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll believe it when I see it. M$ has been mucking about with the ARM version of Windows for years. The same way they mucked about with stylus based Windows for years. When NT 4 shipped the CD had versions for multiple different processors, even PPC, nothing came of them.
Microsoft and Qualcomm team up to create a Windows on ARM developer PC - The Verge

With Apple's move and the decline in x86 sales, I'm sure Microsoft has something coming (they'll need to). They've been particularly busy with ARM in the last 12 - 18 months, it seems...
06-16-2021, 02:20 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Microsoft and Qualcomm team up to create a Windows on ARM developer PC - The Verge

With Apple's move and the decline in x86 sales, I'm sure Microsoft has something coming. When, who knows, but it'll have to be soon...
And Qualcomm seems desperate to 'save' ARM from Nvidia...

Qualcomm Vows to Rescue Chip Designer if Regulators Block Nvidia's $40B Bid | Barron's

But Qualcomm and Microsoft still don't have 64 bit apps running on Snapdragon, only 32 bit...
06-16-2021, 02:25 PM   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

And Qualcomm seems desperate to 'save' ARM from Nvidia...
That Nvidia deal is something of a double-edged sword. Whatever the outcome, it'll be interesting to see what transpires...

06-16-2021, 03:46 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Apple switched from 68K to PPC without breaking anything. 68K applications ran a little slower on PPC but developers could update to a fat app compiled for both. The switch to the Unix based Mac OS X required a virtual machine for older apps. But again, if developers updated to the apps to Carbon they would run natively on either OS. (OS X being BSD-Unix allowed X11 apps to be compiled and run) Apple switched from PPC to X86 and Rosetta would allow PPC apps to run on X86 for several years until Apple depreciated Rosetta. The thing that broke the most apps and drivers was switching from 32 bit to 64 bit. Low level stuff went 64 bit with 10.6, 32 bit apps worked for enough years for developers to make 64 bit versions...And now they are switching to Apple Silicon. Again it seems to be a pretty seamless transition as Rosetta is once again in the OS.

Meanwhile Microsoft is still clinging to X86 and making 32 bit versions of the OS.
I'm not an Apple user, but I have heard numerous horror stories of people upgrading their apple OS and having things breaking.
06-16-2021, 06:53 PM   #24
Pentaxian

A company I worked for had a Mac and no one there could figure out how to use it, including me. I think there must have been something wrong with it. Windows 11 looks like mostly just a GUI refresh.
06-16-2021, 07:49 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As long as it's a free upgrade from Windows 10 I won't complain too much.
06-16-2021, 08:29 PM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Now there's 11. Is this going to render older picture editing programs useless?
It might depend on how old is older editing software you are talking about, A copy of my CS6 which came out 2012 still can be run on Windowns10 latest update.
and Now, most software has moved on to online subscription which mean the software companies will have to issue update to all subscribers, so I don't think it will be too much problem for us as users.
06-16-2021, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You may not have noticed, Barondla, but Windows 10 comes with built in emulators, for Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, XP, 98, 95, DOS, even. You can even run various Linux applications from your desktop if you install the subsystem for Linux. It's not an emulator, has a real kernel.

As always, there will be some programs from the past that don't work because they use hardware or make a call that the emulator hasn't simulated. Deliberately, perhaps, because the program attempts something no longer considered secure or badly affects performance and stability (eg Adobe Flash is heading that way!).

Last edited by clackers; 06-16-2021 at 10:21 PM.
06-17-2021, 01:20 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Windows has a pretty good track record for not breaking old software.
You have obviously not seen the thread on Win10 printer woes:

Help! Windows 10 printer woes... - PentaxForums.com
06-17-2021, 01:55 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right now almost every software runs smoothly on W10.. Idk if an evolution to W11 is a necessity. Data formats will be the same for a while. I'm ok with the performance of the Home Edition.
06-17-2021, 02:39 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
You have obviously not seen the thread on Win10 printer woes:

Help! Windows 10 printer woes... - PentaxForums.com
In fairness, I don't know of a single operating system that hasn't run into a few problems with drivers, devices and (rarely) applications software when new versions are released. Yes, it has happened in Windows 10... but also in macOS and all the various linux distributions. Operating systems are ludicrously complicated these days... I'm sure I read somewhere that Windows is comprised of around 50 million lines of code, and that Ubuntu is of broadly the same scale. I can't imagine macOS is wildly different in that respect. Frankly, it's remarkable that so few problems occur, all things considered...