Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2021, 08:59 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
+1 to that. As an old mainframe guy it still amazes me that PCs with as much complex software installed do usually work.
It's not perfect but doesn't need a a software support team like the good old days.
What ticks me off is the Win 10 habit of launching into a major update at just the wrong time.
As the in-house support team I find this always happens when the "most important user" is doing something urgent.

06-17-2021, 10:27 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
You have obviously not seen the thread on Win10 printer woes:

Help! Windows 10 printer woes... - PentaxForums.com
Pretty good does not mean perfect. Sorry if I confused you with a non absolute statement. I know reading is hard sometimes.

As an aside, my 13 year old Epson 4800 printer (Win XP era) still runs perfectly under Win10.
06-17-2021, 03:30 PM   #33

It is somewhat surprising that Windows 10 works as well as it does. Given the plethora of different hardware available it does better than I would expect.

Back in DOS days it was up to the Application Software Developers to provide the drivers. That was part of the popularity and success of WordPerfect as no one else supported as many printers and as well as they did Come Windows the responsibility of providing drivers went to the hardware manufacturers who weren't the best at developing software for end-users.

Even now much of the applications and utilities that come with HP printers is (IMO) simply horrible. Who needs all those pesky status and reminder popups. I always install their "Basic" driver packages to avoid all the nonsense.
06-17-2021, 04:08 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
10 was supposed to be the last Windows ever. Now there's 11. Is this going to render older picture editing programs useless?

Perhaps they're basing 11 on W7. Doubtful since every other Windows rarely excells.

Thanks,
barondla
Maybe they (MSFT) are holding on more features?
I've reviewed a few "leaks" and there is not much to talk about at the moment, save for a few esthetic changes.

Leaked Windows 11 build shows a Windows 10X-like interface | ZDNet
Windows 11 Confirmed: What We Learned From the Leaked Build
Windows 11 Leak Reveals Big Improvements For Gamers
Windows 11 leak reveals new UI, Start menu, and more - The Verge

06-17-2021, 04:37 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
My employer is still in the process of upgrading everyone to Win 10. Yes, we still have some people on Win 7...
06-17-2021, 05:20 PM   #36

Great! A new operating system to learn. Grrr!
06-17-2021, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
You have obviously not seen the thread on Win10 printer woes:

Help! Windows 10 printer woes... - PentaxForums.com
Come on, LL, did you actually read it?

His printer works just fine on his daughter's Windows 10, so it's not an OS issue, it's something else about his individual setup or hardware.

06-17-2021, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The biggest grip I have is with each new Windows version, Microsoft takes over more control of your personal computer for their benefit. I suppose Apple does it too.
06-17-2021, 06:21 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
The biggest grip I have is with each new Windows version, Microsoft takes over more control of your personal computer for their benefit. I suppose Apple does it too.
Well, the model is our phones - everything integrated, continuously updated, etc.
06-18-2021, 02:14 AM - 1 Like   #40
Inactive Account

Don't forget phone related companies. They are trying to take control more then just someone's personal computer.
Some were listening to you without asking for a permission. They apologize but only after get caught. Some go as far as make the default option to share your internet with public. You have to manually opt it out. Some make it seemingly hard to create an account because they said, they have high standard for security to protect user's privacy, but when it comes to cause cutting, security and privacy right go out the window! etc
06-18-2021, 08:27 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why are they copying Mac? Looks about like the same interface.

Last edited by cdd29; 06-18-2021 at 08:30 AM. Reason: I can't type
06-18-2021, 08:43 AM   #42

Windows has always copied Mac to some extent. Gotta keep up with the modern or contemporary look which Apple is often the trendsetter.

But then it works both ways. For instance didn't Mac start out with the Menu/Toolbar at the top of the screen and Windows at the bottom? Although you change it to the top, bottom or either side. Now it's at the bottom on both Mac and Windows.
06-18-2021, 11:53 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

Conspiracy theory at it's finest.
06-18-2021, 05:41 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
Why are they copying Mac? Looks about like the same interface.
Bill Gates was publicly praising Macintosh in 1984, but had been trying to copy it since 1983 (Microsoft had access to the Lisa and Macintosh prototypes). He was initially limited by the lack of good graphics support on PCs. He also got a sweet deal from John Scully who wanted MS to bring Office out on Macintosh. That deal allowed MS to win the lawsuit Apple brought after Windows 3 came out with overlapping windows. The first two versions being rather underwhelming....

06-18-2021, 08:16 PM   #45

So it turns out Microsoft licensed parts of Windows from Apple.