Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
06-19-2021, 03:45 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom Super Resolution

I'm always looking for resources/tools to help improve my post-processing and just came across this YouTube video about a new Lightroom feature called Super Resolution. The short description is that with a couple of clicks Lightroom will use AI/machine learning algorithms to double the pixel width and height of a DNG image. That translates to a 4x boost in the total number of pixels. As explained in the video, a great application for this would be taking a heavily cropped photo and boosting the resolution to make larger prints or display in online venues where you need more pixels.

Well this all seemed like magic to me. I mean, come on, you can't just create pixels out of thin air without some kind of cost or tradeoff, right? Right?!?! So I dug up some heavily cropped images from my K1-ii + D-FA* 50mm to give it a try for myself. The test images are shown below with links to my Flickr where you can download the full-sized originals. Compare those to the enhanced versions, which are in this album. In short, I am blown away and the magic seems to be real! When I compare side by side, the enhanced versions look noticeably better without any negative consequences. Curious if anyone else has given this feature a try. What was your experience? Are there any images where Super Resolution introduced some weird artifact or performed poorly in some other way?

Hummingbird

Diamondback

Lovebirds

06-19-2021, 04:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cooks333 Quote
... with a couple of clicks Lightroom will use AI/machine learning algorithms to double the pixel width and height of a DNG image.
So, does it edit the Raw file?! Or does it save as a new PSD or other format? My LR subscription has lapsed, so I can't try it myself unfortunately.
06-19-2021, 04:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Are there any images where Super Resolution introduced some weird artifact or performed poorly in some other way?
In some cases, probably yes -- always give the result a good looking over. I don't have too much experience with the Adobe version of this since so far Topaz Gigapixel works even better, and we only ever need to blow things up that we are preparing for printing. Topaz Sharpen AI is even more magical as it can save slightly out-of-focus shots and shots with some movement where you want it crisp. I am finding these programs quite wonderful as pictures I took years ago where I didn't quite nail it now can be rendered good enough to do something with.
06-19-2021, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
So, does it edit the Raw file?! Or does it save as a new PSD or other format? My LR subscription has lapsed, so I can't try it myself unfortunately.
It creates a new copy of the raw file (DNG) that you can stack with the original in LR, so I think it's editing the raw file. Not sure if it works with other raw file types since I exclusively use DNG.

06-19-2021, 04:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So where is this located in Lightroom? Just looked and don't see it.
06-19-2021, 04:49 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
So where is this located in Lightroom? Just looked and don't see it.
Right click an image and choose "Enhance". You'll get a pop up and you should see it in there.
06-19-2021, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I looked at this "magic" in Adobe Camera Raw (same process) along with a similar AI process in Pixelmator (a Mac-only app) in this thread. The post shows an enhanced pixel image with several 1000px x 1000px images.

I find the process great for crops and also larger prints.

06-19-2021, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right click an image and choose "Enhance". You'll get a pop up and you should see it in there.
Got it! Thanks.
06-19-2021, 05:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm always looking for resources/tools to help improve my post-processing and just came across this YouTube video about a new Lightroom feature called Super Resolution. The short description is that with a couple of clicks Lightroom will use AI/machine learning algorithms to double the pixel width and height of a DNG image. That translates to a 4x boost in the total number of pixels. As explained in the video, a great application for this would be taking a heavily cropped photo and boosting the resolution to make larger prints or display in online venues where you need more pixels.

Well this all seemed like magic to me. I mean, come on, you can't just create pixels out of thin air without some kind of cost or tradeoff, right? Right?!?! So I dug up some heavily cropped images from my K1-ii + D-FA* 50mm to give it a try for myself. The test images are shown below with links to my Flickr where you can download the full-sized originals. Compare those to the enhanced versions, which are in this album. In short, I am blown away and the magic seems to be real! When I compare side by side, the enhanced versions look noticeably better without any negative consequences. Curious if anyone else has given this feature a try. What was your experience? Are there any images where Super Resolution introduced some weird artifact or performed poorly in some other way?

Thanks for the tip, did not know this existed, probably should read some of the updates when Adobe sends them out.
06-19-2021, 05:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is nothing new. I had an editing program 20 years ago that would create new pixels and assign a color value to them based on the average of the pixels' values that would surround the new pixels at the insertion point. They just didn't call it AI.
06-19-2021, 05:57 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
This is nothing new. I had an editing program 20 years ago that would create new pixels and assign a color value to them based on the average of the pixels' values that would surround the new pixels at the insertion point. They just didn't call it AI.
Did it work?
06-19-2021, 07:18 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same rules apply; you can't create new information from a limited amount and adding details requires more information. You can increase the number of pixels, and you can enhance edges to fool the eye or restore some of the sharpness lost due to resampling (improve the modulation transfer curve), but no new information (i.e. details) beyond those of the original. This doesn't say, you can't make the image look better, but if you want to crop in further, you may need more pixels to begin with. AI just means that the program should be doing a better job (relative to not using the program or possibly using less advanced programs) at enhancing details based on what is there. Image sharpening is a nice feature to have though.
06-19-2021, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

These new neural network based algorithms (that's why they call them AI) actually *do* add information, but of course it is guessing at what that should be. Previous methods of upsampling do turn out pretty well if done by a skilled person, but these new ones do a better job at avoiding any sort of "digital zoom" look and allow you to go bigger than before.
06-19-2021, 07:58 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Super Resolution is a misnomer. It is upsampling using other than the usual algorithms. No data are created and the extra pixels are purely synthetic.

Steve
06-19-2021, 08:06 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Super Resolution is a misnomer. It is upsampling using other than the usual algorithms. No data are created and the extra pixels are purely synthetic.
More accurate might be that synthetic data is created. And although I'm not sure what the Adobe version is doing exactly, in theory something like this might not just add new pixels (which implies some are original and some are added) but replace/regenerate all pixels with 2x as many (so there are no "original" pixels left).