Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2021, 04:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to transfer photos from K100d camera to PC using cable

I have been using my card to transfer photos to my pc from my Canon this morning no problem!
Now I want to transfer from my Pentax, it goes onto pc and as soon as I open the file it vanishes. Then when I try to remove the card from the PC safely
It gives me a message ' Open drivers and Printers' .....instead of safely remove..

Can anyone assist me and tell me what to do?

Anxiously awaiting your help and appreciating any forthcoming.....
Shelly..

06-28-2021, 06:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you got the right Transfer Mode set in the camera?
Menu ... Setup... Transfer Mode... PC
06-28-2021, 06:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
I think he is moving the sd card out of the camera to the computer.

---------- Post added 06-28-21 at 09:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Shelly Quote
I have been using my card to transfer photos to my pc from my Canon this morning no problem!
Now I want to transfer from my Pentax, it goes onto pc and as soon as I open the file it vanishes. Then when I try to remove the card from the PC safely
It gives me a message ' Open drivers and Printers' .....instead of safely remove..

Can anyone assist me and tell me what to do?

Anxiously awaiting your help and appreciating any forthcoming.....
Shelly..
That’s weird. If you’re moving the sd card it should just work. Has this sd card been formatted in the camera prior to use?
06-28-2021, 07:09 AM   #4

You may have the camera set to PictBridge for the transfer method. To disconnect just turn off the camera. Then set the transfer mode (as above) to PC or PC-F. Try PC first.

After that the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" should work.

06-28-2021, 07:24 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You may have the camera set to PictBridge for the transfer method. To disconnect just turn off the camera. Then set the transfer mode (as above) to PC or PC-F. Try PC first.

He refers to a card not a cable. I don’t think he is connecting the camera via usb.
06-28-2021, 08:29 AM   #6

Umm, the title of the post is:
How to transfer photos from K100d camera to PC using cable
Are you using the Canon cable on the Pentax? If they have the same connector the pin-outs may be different and not compatible.
06-28-2021, 08:58 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Umm, the title of the post is:

Are you using the Canon cable on the Pentax? If they have the same connector the pin-outs may be different and not compatible.
Weird. The body says:

So I’m lost as to what the op is actually doing. Most likely you are correct given the title. I missed the last word in the title.

06-28-2021, 11:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My guess is you are transferring raw in pef format and the files transfer but the software is only showing files it can view. I think they will show up in file explorer and any software that supports pef.
What software to view PEF files in folders on a PC? - PentaxForums.com
06-28-2021, 07:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

So I’m lost as to what the op is actually doing.
I would say not seeing files after using the card slot is the reason for trying the cable method.
06-29-2021, 12:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi ProfessorBuzz yes I do...and I do not use the same sd card for the different cameras.

---------- Post added 29-06-21 at 09:41 ----------

I think he is moving the sd card out of the camera to the computer.

---------- Post added 06-28-21 at 09:47 AM ----------

That’s weird. If you’re moving the sd card it should just work. Has this sd card been formatted in the camera prior to use?
I am sure I did as I have been using the same sd card all along for my Pentax....My recent photo's are on it for sure they do show on the screen, but when I click on one of the photo's all vanish and the file DCIM file they're in ..... When I go to remove the card from the pc instead of the message remove safely I only get go to drivers and printers. I click on it and it takes me to the control panel where what's highlighted is drivers and printers.

---------- Post added 29-06-21 at 09:47 ----------

Hi Not a Number .....nope I have double checked, when I go into devices and Printers there are three things - my laptop, my mouse and a SDDR-113. Does this mean anything?

---------- Post added 29-06-21 at 09:55 ----------

He refers to a card not a cable. I don’t think he is connecting the camera via usb.
HI UncleVanya ......no my Canon does not have a cable I use only the sd card, Bought it on a special. EOS 250d with two lenses a battery and charger only! However, when I use the Pentax cable nothing happens!!!! Do you think I need to reinstall the Pentax... Oh no my laptop does not have space for a CD!! Friggin hell now what..

---------- Post added 29-06-21 at 10:01 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I would say not seeing files after using the card slot is the reason for trying the cable method.
Hey swanlefitte. The first reply I don't have that problem but thanks for that and I have tried using the cable but nothing happens...should I be in picbridge to use cable.
06-29-2021, 07:20 AM   #11
Pentaxian

As I understand from your last post you put the SD-card from your Pentax in the card-reader of the PC. "Hi Not a Number .....nope I have double checked, when I go into devices and Printers there are three things - my laptop, my mouse and a SDDR-113. Does this mean anything?" Yes it means that the computer does not see your card reader. The reason for that is that the driver is corrupted. It is a common problem with card-readers in PC's. The problem becomes clear as soon as you try to open a file, the card-reader malfunctions because of the corrupted driver. What you must do is start your pc and start device manager. In the list of devices choose the card-reader and choose removing the card-reader. Shut down the computer, count to ten and start the computer. On start-up Windows will install the driver on detecting a new device. It does it automatically, you do not have to anything for that. Then try inserting the SD-Card and try to open a file from the DCIM folder. If you meet the same problem your Pentax card is at fault and you should format it or throw it away and buy a new one. That is why it seem to work well with the Canon card.
"should I be in picbridge to use cable". No of course not, you must be in PC setting. Picturebridge is for printing pictures direct from camera to printer.

"However, when I use the Pentax cable nothing happens!!!!" I do not know if you do this on purpose, but you are confusing the good Pentax-People here: Once and for all make clear if you use a cable with the Pentax or if you put the Pentax's SD-Card in the reader, you are constantly mixing things up and make it very difficult for us to help you. See you answer to UncleVanya, where you state that you want to remove the card safely from the computer, why then do you write "However, when I use the Pentax cable nothing happens!!!!".
06-29-2021, 09:34 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, we're all confused.
06-29-2021, 12:13 PM   #13
Pentaxian

If reinstalling the driver doesn't work, I would try an other card reader.
06-30-2021, 01:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
As I understand from your last post you put the SD-card from your Pentax in the card-reader of the PC. "Hi Not a Number .....nope I have double checked, when I go into devices and Printers there are three things - my laptop, my mouse and a SDDR-113. Does this mean anything?" Yes it means that the computer does not see your card reader. The reason for that is that the driver is corrupted. It is a common problem with card-readers in PC's. The problem becomes clear as soon as you try to open a file, the card-reader malfunctions because of the corrupted driver. What you must do is start your pc and start device manager. In the list of devices choose the card-reader and choose removing the card-reader. Shut down the computer, count to ten and start the computer. On start-up Windows will install the driver on detecting a new device. It does it automatically, you do not have to anything for that. Then try inserting the SD-Card and try to open a file from the DCIM folder. If you meet the same problem your Pentax card is at fault and you should format it or throw it away and buy a new one. That is why it seem to work well with the Canon card.
"should I be in picbridge to use cable". No of course not, you must be in PC setting. Picturebridge is for printing pictures direct from camera to printer.

"However, when I use the Pentax cable nothing happens!!!!" I do not know if you do this on purpose, but you are confusing the good Pentax-People here: Once and for all make clear if you use a cable with the Pentax or if you put the Pentax's SD-Card in the reader, you are constantly mixing things up and make it very difficult for us to help you. See you answer to UncleVanya, where you state that you want to remove the card safely from the computer, why then do you write "However, when I use the Pentax cable nothing happens!!!!".
Oh gosh, I am so sorry I did not mean to confuse anyone. However, I was supposed to say... if the sd card does not work can I use the cable instead......but by tying that option when I attach it to the pc, nothing happens!! Do you think I should reinstall my Pentax program.

---------- Post added 30-06-21 at 10:51 ----------

Yes, we're all confused.
so sorry ProfessorBuzz..didn't mean to!

---------- Post added 30-06-21 at 10:57 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
If reinstalling the driver doesn't work, I would try an other card reader.
By reinstalling the driver......how would I do that, I assume the driver is the original on a cd and if so my new laptop doesn't have the option for a cd? if I try another card, would I loose those photo's on the old card? sorry if it sounds confusing, on my part its all so frustrating...
06-30-2021, 02:51 AM   #15
Pentaxian

What Windows version do you use? Use the original usb-cable that came with the Pentax camera, do not use the Canon cable for it! You do not need the driver on a cd, so having no cd-rom option is not a problem. Your camera should be set to PC as I mentioned before.