Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
07-05-2021, 10:29 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Making a fine art pigment print for a customer

My new YouTube video about making a print for a customer:

Last edited by Qwntm; 07-05-2021 at 11:01 AM.
07-05-2021, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sooooo, that's who you are on here! (We have so many identities lol) I have become a big fan this year and often quote your observations about DSLR vs MILC. I will be watching this shortly, and for anyone who has not discovered Photo Universe, go, watch, subscribe!
07-05-2021, 11:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Why not use the Canon Pro 2000 (or 2100) instead of the Pro 1000? Pro 2000/2100 takes 700ml ink cartridges that are also used in the Pro 4000, Pro 6000 and Pro 8000, the ink is half the price per ml.
07-05-2021, 01:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Sooooo, that's who you are on here! (We have so many identities lol) I have become a big fan this year and often quote your observations about DSLR vs MILC. I will be watching this shortly, and for anyone who has not discovered Photo Universe, go, watch, subscribe!
Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated!

07-05-2021, 01:28 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Why not use the Canon Pro 2000 (or 2100) instead of the Pro 1000? Pro 2000/2100 takes 700ml ink cartridges that are also used in the Pro 4000, Pro 6000 and Pro 8000, the ink is half the price per ml.
Good points! That said, if I were to do a tutorial, I would not have those choices.

Perhaps one uses what is on the table?

Steve
07-05-2021, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #6
UMC

Finally. I tried to figure out Ed's username here in the forum for quite some time

now for the video:

I like it and I think I'm going to use gloves from now on.
What I found amazing is how fast the printer works. My non-professional Epson XP-960 takes a lot more time.

What surprised me is that Ed put the print into the sleeve a few minutes after printing. I'm always afraid of the ink not being dry enough, so I keep prints on a flat surface for several hours (usually for the night).

I derive that the difference between home printers and professional ones is bigger that I thougt.
07-05-2021, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just wondering why you use the fancy pen on the front of the print and then pencil on the rear? why not use the pen on both sides?? Thx

07-05-2021, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really great video on doing this process. Thanks for sharing!
07-05-2021, 05:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Good points! That said, if I were to do a tutorial, I would not have those choices.

Perhaps one uses what is on the table?

Steve
I don't use a Canon Pro-2100 because I don't have a Canon Pro-2100, exactly that.

---------- Post added 07-05-21 at 05:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UMC Quote

What surprised me is that Ed put the print into the sleeve a few minutes after printing. I'm always afraid of the ink not being dry enough, so I keep prints on a flat surface for several hours (usually for the night).
I do actually wait 24 hours before putting it in the sleeve. I was trying to demonstrate how I package the print for protection, but failed to mention the wait time.

---------- Post added 07-05-21 at 05:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RedBoomer Quote
Just wondering why you use the fancy pen on the front of the print and then pencil on the rear? why not use the pen on both sides?? Thx
The front side of most papers are designed to absorb pigment ink. The pen is pigment ink based. The rear side of most papers is just paper, and pencil is the safest thing to use. I would use pencil on both sides with a double sided paper like Moab Entrada as an example which is a matte paper that takes pencil well.

---------- Post added 07-05-21 at 05:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Really great video on doing this process. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for watching!!

---------- Post added 07-05-21 at 05:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UMC Quote
What I found amazing is how fast the printer works. My non-professional Epson XP-960 takes a lot more time.
I actually sped up the video, the printer is slower than is shown. Sorry about the confusion. I think it took a little under 4 minutes to print.

Last edited by Qwntm; 07-05-2021 at 05:37 PM.
07-05-2021, 10:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I like the choice of music for photo universe videos , better than other photography/camera channels. Also the look of the photographer with the hat, it's a look reminding us Ansel Adams (of the modern days)

---------- Post added 06-07-21 at 07:37 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I don't use a Canon Pro-2100 because I don't have a Canon Pro-2100, exactly that.
That's a reasonable answer. I just wanted to point out that OEM ink in larger tanks is significantly cheaper, as I had noticed that for myself when I considered buying a Canon Pro series printer.
07-06-2021, 08:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I like the choice of music for photo universe videos , better than other photography/camera channels. Also the look of the photographer with the hat, it's a look reminding us Ansel Adams (of the modern days)

---------- Post added 06-07-21 at 07:37 ----------

That's a reasonable answer. I just wanted to point out that OEM ink in larger tanks is significantly cheaper, as I had noticed that for myself when I considered buying a Canon Pro series printer.

Thanks!

Right now the smaller ink carts are working for me. They are about perfect for the volume of printing I do. My old Epson 4880 had 110ml tanks and I could buy 220's, but when I did they were always a year or two out of date when I replaced them. (Not that it made any practical difference.)

I would love to get a Pro 2100, and I'd love to shoot more 4x5 film too. We'll see. Maybe someday.
07-06-2021, 12:24 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I also use gloves for handling my prints, but they aren't cotton gloves. Wondering what's the advantage of cotton cloves over rubber gloves.

Also, and this is for sharing here the "bad" experience I had with a batch of prints.
I received my prints from the lab rolled into a tube. When I take them out of the tube, the prints don't stay flat, they curl, so I put them between two flat panels for a few days, they slowly flatten.
However, what happened once when I removed the top panel, it sucked air like vacuum effect and the whole stack of prints fell against my legs and onto the floor. Unfortunately, the prints got damaged. Yes, 50 euros of prints got scratched

I learned (from breathing color website), how to best handle prints: always with two hand holding the prints the top corners. So far so good, not print "accident" since then.
07-14-2021, 07:53 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wondering what's the advantage of cotton cloves over rubber gloves.
I think cotton is traditionally used in all archival situations. Not sure there is any real advantage except tradition and possibly ease of putting them on. However, some "rubber" (latex or other material) gloves have a powder applied to make them easier to put on and that might have an impact on prints. Certainly not all such gloves have the powder, but something to watch for.
07-14-2021, 10:22 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
However, some "rubber" (latex or other material) gloves have a powder applied to make them easier to put on and that might have an impact on prints.
Thanks. Baby powder on latex gloves would be especially awful on glossy prints. Yet, I struggle with any kind of gloves when taking them off by hands, I often have to touch the outer part of the gloves making them no completely free of dusk, grease, sweat.
07-14-2021, 10:54 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yet, I struggle with any kind of gloves when taking them off by hands,
There is actually a specific method of doing so, taught in medical environments. But I think it is only for one use gloves. I had it demonstrated to me once or twice but I doubt I could do it right without more instruction.