Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
SyncToy

This isn't Post Processing software but could prove invaluable for backing up our picture's folders.

Microsoft Professional Photography: SyncToy v2.0
I've just installed it and I'm syncing my Pictures folder to my backup folder. I've been looking for something like this for a long time. You'll need Net Framework. I didn't have Net Framework installed on my laptop yet so I went and got V3.5.

11-28-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The thing that's always confused me about backups is:
Lets say I take 200 pictures of eagles. If I import them to Lightroom and back them up to my backup drive and THEN start editing them in LR, I might delete 175 of them but the 200 are still on the backup drive, 175 of them are no good. So what I'd usually do is go through the 200 get rid of the ones I don't like and start some editing. At some point I'd "save metadata to file", copy the pics over to my desktop and there import them to LR on my desktop. Editing is much easier on my laptop, it's newer and runs faster than my oldish desktop. But I still haven't backed them up to their own drive and every couple of weeks or a month if I remember, I copy them to the backup drive. But what if in that time I go back and do some more editing or go through the folders and add tags? How do I update all that info in the backup folder? Well, I'm hoping this little proggy is the answer. On top of that after bringing the files onto my desktop and importing them into LR, I usually will do some more editing. A big problem for me has been to keep the folders synced between the lappy and the desktop. I'm hoping this proggy will do that as well, I'll see after this initial run syncing the lappy to the backup drive concludes.
11-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use it. Pretty good for nothing. If you want better, but have to pay a bit more, Syncback is good, it does have a free edition as well I believe.