Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2021, 08:44 AM   #1

Monitor choice

Hello folks - yet another question on monitors:

After getting back into photography with the KP and having got lenses to cover the 10-450mm range including macro I need to upgrade to a decent monitor (and printer, probably A3 – but that’s for another post).

I currently use a MacBookPro 16” (2019) running Catalina with the basic in-built graphics processor (AMD Raytheon 4GB + Intel UHD 1536MB). Processing is via the Affinity suite. I’m purely amateur and primarily want to print my best pics and am unlikely to sell any (though some might end up on a website or 3). Like many DIY’ers I want to get the best from my efforts within a reasonable cost.

I’ve read through some recent forum posts on the topic: 1 extolling virtues of the Eizo CS2420 and another mentioning Viewscan (and others) while both offering some excellent general advice.

So I’ve narrowed my choice down to the Eizo CS2420 and the Viewscan 2768 4k. Both appear to be excellent monitors with expert & user reviews supporting this.

The Eizo is 24” (res 1920x1200), can switch between aRGB (99%) and sRGB (100%) and costs around £540. (27” version is £835, 27” 4k = £1400).

The Viewscan is 27” with 4k (res 3840x2160), sRGB (100%) and costs about £500 – it can also be easily turned from landscape to portrait (though that seems like just icing on the cake, at least for my needs). The aRGB version costs £735.

I’ll also be purchasing a calibrator – probably the Xrite iDisplay “Pro” (£158 - £23 more than the “Display” model but twice as fast) and pairing with DisplayCal software.

I asked a well known UK photoshop (Wex) for their views and the response was “get the Viewsonic – because it’s bigger”. That argument alone isn’t enough to sway me – at least without qualification – as they say “size isn’t everything” (in 1 blog on choosing a monitor)

I’m ever so slightly leaning towards the Eizo because of its aRGB capabilities and this article on colour space but I’d appreciate views/comments/suggestions from more experienced forum members before I take the plunge.

Thanks

Paul

07-14-2021, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, I like BenQ for the quality/size/value combination. I use an Eye One, and it's good. Just make sure you recalibrate once in a while. And be sure to recalibrate if you get a new computer!
07-14-2021, 10:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pegasus53 Quote
Hello folks - yet another question on monitors:

After getting back into photography with the KP and having got lenses to cover the 10-450mm range including macro I need to upgrade to a decent monitor (and printer, probably A3 – but that’s for another post).

I currently use a MacBookPro 16” (2019) running Catalina with the basic in-built graphics processor (AMD Raytheon 4GB + Intel UHD 1536MB). Processing is via the Affinity suite. I’m purely amateur and primarily want to print my best pics and am unlikely to sell any (though some might end up on a website or 3). Like many DIY’ers I want to get the best from my efforts within a reasonable cost.

I’ve read through some recent forum posts on the topic: 1 extolling virtues of the Eizo CS2420 and another mentioning Viewscan (and others) while both offering some excellent general advice.

So I’ve narrowed my choice down to the Eizo CS2420 and the Viewscan 2768 4k. Both appear to be excellent monitors with expert & user reviews supporting this.

The Eizo is 24” (res 1920x1200), can switch between aRGB (99%) and sRGB (100%) and costs around £540. (27” version is £835, 27” 4k = £1400).

The Viewscan is 27” with 4k (res 3840x2160), sRGB (100%) and costs about £500 – it can also be easily turned from landscape to portrait (though that seems like just icing on the cake, at least for my needs). The aRGB version costs £735.

I’ll also be purchasing a calibrator – probably the Xrite iDisplay “Pro” (£158 - £23 more than the “Display” model but twice as fast) and pairing with DisplayCal software.

I asked a well known UK photoshop (Wex) for their views and the response was “get the Viewsonic – because it’s bigger”. That argument alone isn’t enough to sway me – at least without qualification – as they say “size isn’t everything” (in 1 blog on choosing a monitor)

I’m ever so slightly leaning towards the Eizo because of its aRGB capabilities and this article on colour space but I’d appreciate views/comments/suggestions from more experienced forum members before I take the plunge.

Thanks

Paul
Personally, 24" is perfect balance of price v quality v usability. I prefer a calibrated 24" monitor and a second one that sits to the side to handle the boring stuff. Take a look at the NEC monitors, they are probably the equal of the Eizo ones for colour accuracy.

Re the calibration, the xRite is fine, but use it to drive the manufacturers hardware rather than using third party software which is less accurate as it uses software emulation rather than controlling the monitor's hardware.
07-14-2021, 10:10 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find srgb sufficient. But I might not be aware what I’m missing.

07-14-2021, 11:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another vote for BenQ. I have the SW270C model (27"), and calibrate with the SpyderX Pro, which is fast, accurate and easy to use. By the way, be sure to use the monitor's calibration software, not the one supplied with the calibrator.

The 24" BenQ SW240 can be had in the UK for £383 and has the same resolution and capabilities as the Eizo.
07-14-2021, 11:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been looking at purchasing this one from ASUS. It's pretty reasonably priced for their claimed color gamut capability:

ProArt Display PA248QV?Monitors?ASUS USA

Seems good enough for me as a hobbyist photographer. They have a 27" version as well.
07-14-2021, 11:50 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use an EIZO monitor (CS2730) and am very happy with it. EIZO provide their own software for calibration so you only need a hardware "puck".

You have not mentioned what editing you do. Shooting raw and using a good converter will make the best of a AdobeRGB screen, and if you want most flexibility when printing then go for the wide gamut monitor.

Have a good read up on colour management, it can be a confusing subject.

07-14-2021, 12:31 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I use an EIZO monitor (CS2730) and am very happy with it. EIZO provide their own software for calibration so you only need a hardware "puck".

You have not mentioned what editing you do. Shooting raw and using a good converter will make the best of a AdobeRGB screen, and if you want most flexibility when printing then go for the wide gamut monitor.

Have a good read up on colour management, it can be a confusing subject.
Yes, I shoot in RAW and process in Affinity (I've just started another thread on RAW processing).

You're right about colour management - particularly what's best, what's really necessary and some why it isn't depending on the display medium.

Digital seems so much more involved although it does give you more control - if you want it. And that's the value of the forum - you can ask those that have been there and done it.
07-14-2021, 01:03 PM   #9

Get the Eizo. I have the little older CS240 and it is absolutely the best monitor I ever had.
07-14-2021, 05:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find 24" to be the perfect size. With 27" I have to be farther away.
07-23-2021, 09:24 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I personally have a 27" 4k LG monitor. For personal use, it's fine with prints even without having a high aRGB rating. In terms of a bigger size and resolution, it isn't everything, but it does make a difference. It gives you more room for the image itself so the software controls aren't crowding in. It also lets you see more of the image when zooming to 100% to reduce the amount of panning around to examine changes.