Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2021, 04:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Digitising Photos, Negatives and Processing

Hey everyone!

Haven't been around for a while and it's nice to look in here again!
I just finished school and grabbed myself a "little" summer project..

We've got many old negatives and glass plates in our family and I'd like to digitise those, as well as my own negatives this summer.
I've got my K-1 and a super macro tak and thought of finally making use of the pixel shift function.
However, what is the best way to process the images? It'll mainly be inverting the colours, though I do have the odd colour film but it'd help if the software would be reasonably fast with that.
Usually I use capture one (10), but, as far as I'm aware, that ignores three of the 4 shifted images.

Also, I'm not sure if it's worth using pixel shift?
The glass plates are 9x12cm, my own negatives that I'd like to digitize are 135 and 120 films.

Would I be best advised to use the software that shipped with the camera, export them all as a PNG and take them into capture one?

Cheers,
Topsy

07-14-2021, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would just try a few with pixel shift on and off then just compare them with Pentax DCU or RawTherapee and see which is best. Export them as 16bit .tiff files. That will retain all the data.
07-14-2021, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Rawtherapee has a "Film Negative" tool that allows you to convert negatives into positives. It's in "Raw" tab in the latest public release version, 5.8. The latest development build optimize this tool further and give you more control and better consistency (the tool is in "Color" tab now). The dev build is in here: Release Automated Builds · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub
From what I've heard, using pixelshift is definitely worth it, since it avoids interpolation. Also Rawtherapee has THE best pixelshift support. Just remember to change the demosaic method to "pixel shift" in Raw tab.
07-14-2021, 06:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I would just try a few with pixel shift on and off then just compare them with Pentax DCU or RawTherapee and see which is best. Export them as 16bit .tiff files. That will retain all the data.
What DSW said, I think it would be good to try it & compare.
I think using Pixelshift on the glass plates will be a good idea, you'll get some extra detail/information from them to edit.

07-14-2021, 07:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been copying negatives and prints for quite a few years. Recently I ran across a video that I found rather interesting and incorporated several techniques that he uses. You may find this of interest to set up your system.
Hope this helps
Ray
07-15-2021, 02:39 AM   #6
Forum Member

Yes, pixel shift will enhance the process of bringing your images into digital, the files will be considerably larger if storage is a concern but the detail is worth it.
07-15-2021, 03:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Use PixelShift. Get all the detail you can, especially when talking about color. PS is arguably edited easier in rawtherappe. Extract all the depth you can and fine-tune your photos. I'd export as 100% quality jpeg, as it is a safe choice for printing these home memories in albums, most of the times.