Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I've finally made time to check this out.

The camera to usb does nothing but make the camera an external drive whereas the camera to video at least allows you to view picture on a tv screen.

Any idea how we can connect the camera to a laptop monitor using a S-video? Is there a cable that will convert an RCA-type video to S-video?

12-11-2008, 02:50 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I've finally made time to check this out.

The camera to usb does nothing but make the camera an external drive whereas the camera to video at least allows you to view picture on a tv screen.

Any idea how we can connect the camera to a laptop monitor using a S-video? Is there a cable that will convert an RCA-type video to S-video?
You mean something like this?
CABLESTOGO 27964 VALUE SERIES BI-DIRECTIONAL S-VIDEO TO RCA-TYPE (6 FT)
12-12-2008, 04:04 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Yup, thanks Douglas. I'll have to look for other suppliers as that one is only US.

Do you think this will work for what I'm trying to do? I mean, if I can review on the TV, shouldn't this theoritacly work on a laptop?

Thanks again.

EDIT
I went to Office Depot/Staples today and the guy said it wouldn't work because the S-video on the laptop is only output. Would this be correct?

Last edited by JCSullivan; 12-12-2008 at 11:01 AM.
12-12-2008, 08:50 PM   #19
pdo

I use Pentax Remote Assistant and Lightroom. Check YouTube - Adobe Lightroom - Tethered Shooting youtube video on how to set lightroom for tether shooting in the studios.

12-12-2008, 11:23 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
Eye-Fi
^this maybe an easy solution?

This was my first thought too. The card will transmit wirelessly to your system and display it. Would be cordless and instant.
12-15-2008, 03:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member

It looks like they DO deliver to Canada, which is good.

Just in case no one saw my EDIT, I went to Office Depot/Staples saturday and the guy said it wouldn't work because the S-video on the laptop is only output. Would this be correct?

Originally, I had said that yes, the cable in the link from Douglas looked right but in fact it isn't because the istD cable connection has a male RCA.

The S-video cable I have, has S-video M at both ends and the laptop has F connection.

So I thought if I used the following Steren 251-152 S-Video To RCA Adapter - S-Video M To RCA F gender bender on the laptop it would work but that ONLY gives me approx 1 Meter/Yard between camera and laptop and would be kind of flimsy. What do you think?

Of course the question remains is the S-video on the laptop only an output?

Thanks again.
12-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Of course the question remains is the S-video on the laptop only an output?

Thanks again.
I would think so. But try recording some video from a camera or VCR onto the laptop, maybe use Windows movie maker if you have nothing else, and if you have Windows.

01-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #23

Photos: Albums
Capture One

I use a combination of Capture One 4 and Pentax Remote Assistant. Capture One software has a "hot folder" function allowing Remote Assistant to save to a designated folder then immediately view in Capture One. The only problem is Remote Assistant takes was too long to save to the laptop. One day I would be excited to hear Capture One can handle shooting tethered with Pentax as it does with Canon and now Nikon.
01-28-2009, 08:02 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by kevindt Quote
And just purely for fun, with a bit of research and a little hacking - there is even an open-source little application in Linux that is still very, very early beta (pkremote) that does a lot of what Pentax Remote Assistant does. Just for fun, I tried downloading a SVN copy and compiling for Ubuntu Linux. It is buggy but it controls my K20D OK and it will display a pretty good initial picture (albeit with autofocus points superimposed) and saves to disk well.
So there is information there to build on if anyone has a second life coding in C
Live-disk with controller for Pentax, anyone
Can anyone help me get this program to work, I am using Ubuntu 8.10 and a k20d I got the file hacked for the k20 and managed to get it installed but keep getting the following error and my camera is not recognised except as a usb drive:

jeff@netbook:~$ pkremote

(<unknown>:19504): libglade-WARNING **: Error loading image: Failed to open file '/usr/local/share/pkremote/gimp.xpm': No such file or directory

(<unknown>:19504): libglade-WARNING **: could not convert string to type `GdkPixbuf' for property `pixbuf'

I know it is long shot, but if anyone can guide me in the right direction...

Jeff
01-31-2009, 09:01 AM   #25
Inactive Account

AFAIK xpm files are used by gnome for icons and background images in windows.

My guess it is a missing icon file; just try to copy and rename one from another app and see what happens. (there should be a few under /usr/share/pixmaps/)
07-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Redfish Quote
1. Set up Remote assistant to save files to a particular folder (The job folder is good practice)
2. Open Bridge, and browse to that folder. It'll be empty, if its new.
3. Start shooting frames. They'll pop up in Bridge. (I use CS4, but have also done it since Remote assistant was released for Mac with Bridge CS3.).
For the budget minded among us: This also works with Picasa. Simply tell Remote Assistant to automatically save to a folder which is watched by Picasa and you'll see the images popping up in Picasa automagically.

BTW, with my K100D (firmware version 1.0) I have to make sure to
  • use Remote Assistant version 1.0
  • set the image quality to RAW. The Remote Assistant always saves a .PEF file and if the quality is not RAW, only the preview image works but you get garbage as the main image content.
  • set instant preview to "Off". If I leave it at my normal setting "5 sec", the operation is unreliable.

Last edited by Class A; 01-14-2010 at 06:08 PM.
08-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #27

Use your current cable, joined to a 20' cord with RCA female on one end and RCA male on the other. Simple. Has nothing to do with USB requirements, when using this method.