Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
Junior Member
isin2rt's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maricopa, Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 49
CS3 reinstall on new computer

My 2 yr old laptop needs a new fan and it seems I'm going to have to send it out of town to bring it back to life--no telling how long it will be on vacation. While helping someone find a new laptop with good specs on black Friday, I found a deal so good- I got one for myself.
I want to reinstall CS3 on the new laptop (which I believe means I can't use it on my first one). Does anyone have any information about how to get the same serial number to be taken a second time on the new laptop?
I read on the adobe website that I have to go into the program and deactivate the first copy. I can't do that since my old laptop is running so poorly--CPU is running at 100% with no open programs -- its too stressed to open CS3. There has to be a way around it.
I'm just wondering if anyone has had this problem and solved it without calling Adobe? With the release of CS4, I'm assuming I'd be waiting on hold for some time.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Kelly

11-29-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Marc Langille's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NW Arkansas, USA
Posts: 4,702
Hi Kelly!

I've had to do it several times, due to a new PC, hard drive, etc. Normally you need to deactivate the old license number first, and that's by uninstalling the software. You will be prompted to keep or remove the activation portion in case you wish to reinstall it on that PC. Obviously you do not... If you remove it, then you should have no issue activating the install on the new PC.

You are welcome to post results or PM me if help is needed. I don't mind helping out over the phone if it becomes a problem, since these can sometimes be a real pain...

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 11-29-2008 at 10:04 PM.
11-29-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Marc Langille's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NW Arkansas, USA
Posts: 4,702
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Hi Kelly!

I've had to do it several times, due to a new PC, hard drive, etc. Normally you need to deactivate the old license number first, and that's by uninstalling the software. You will be prompted to keep or remove the activation portion in case you wish to reinstall it on that PC. Obviously you do not... If you remove it, then you should have no issue activating the install on the new PC.

You are welcome to post results or PM me if help is needed. I don't mind helping out over the phone if it becomes a problem.

Regards,
Marc
Oops, I see you are relatively new to PF and forgot to start out by welcoming you.. sorry... Welcome!!
11-29-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator
Ole's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,100
The Adobe license allows you to install two copies. So you should be fine with the new laptop.

11-29-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
Junior Member
isin2rt's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maricopa, Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 49
Original Poster
Marc and Ole, Thanks for your help! I wasted my time searching online before coming to the experts. I'm so relieved to hear the licensing will allow me to install on two machines. Marc -- when my laptop arrives in the next week I may need your help. Thanks for the offer.
Kelly
11-30-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,357
Your old machine must have heaps in the startup folder or registry to be at 100% straight away! You could always try starting it in safe mode if you need to get into it.
11-30-2008, 05:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member
MoiVous's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 675
The Adobe licence allows 2 installs of their apps as standard. These are stored in their database when you activate on line.

I recently had to install CS3 on a new PC (had it on my laptop and my desktop), and before it could be installed on the new PC I had to de-activate it on my old desktop.

I'd suggest trying to fire up your old laptop and de-activate the old CS3 install so your not left with an non-functioning CS3 registration. That way, if you need to install on another machine in future you've got that activation available.
12-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
Junior Member
isin2rt's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maricopa, Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 49
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Your old machine must have heaps in the startup folder or registry to be at 100% straight away! You could always try starting it in safe mode if you need to get into it.
I'm pretty good about keeping things out of start up. Therefore I'm worried what it could mean having 100% draw on the CPU! Best Buy techies said it may be "in survival mode" since the system detects a hardware issue (not safe mode, that would be software according to BB). They were not willing to go under the hood, so today I got a 2nd opinion and he thinks the 100% CPU usage MAY be more serious -- motherboard issues possibly. Seems everywhere I go I have to leave money behind and still have a bad laptop.
I'm hoping to do what another member suggested--turn it on long enough to disable CS3 so I can still have 2 installs.
While we're here...anyone know about issues with the 64bit Vista and software compatibility? (This is on the new HP --arriving in a few days) Mostly I'm worried about CS3 but I also use Corel Painter, Draw, Poser --and I'm wondering if all of my software will be useless. Hopefully these programs are just a matter of downloading new drivers.
Advice/comments welcome!
Kelly

12-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Marc Langille's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NW Arkansas, USA
Posts: 4,702
QuoteOriginally posted by isin2rt Quote
I'm pretty good about keeping things out of start up. Therefore I'm worried what it could mean having 100% draw on the CPU! Best Buy techies said it may be "in survival mode" since the system detects a hardware issue (not safe mode, that would be software according to BB). They were not willing to go under the hood, so today I got a 2nd opinion and he thinks the 100% CPU usage MAY be more serious -- motherboard issues possibly. Seems everywhere I go I have to leave money behind and still have a bad laptop.
I'm hoping to do what another member suggested--turn it on long enough to disable CS3 so I can still have 2 installs.
While we're here...anyone know about issues with the 64bit Vista and software compatibility? (This is on the new HP --arriving in a few days) Mostly I'm worried about CS3 but I also use Corel Painter, Draw, Poser --and I'm wondering if all of my software will be useless. Hopefully these programs are just a matter of downloading new drivers.
Advice/comments welcome!
Kelly
Kelly, I was wondering the other day if you were getting Vista or XP installed on the new laptop, and didn't wish to presume!

I suggested the original post (removing and recovering the activation) based on your comments about performance. CS3 is a terrible resource hog if you have more than several RAW files open and/or are running batch automation. Evidently some issues are addressed (load times are improved ) in CS4.

CS3 will work on Vista, BTW, but make sure you run the install with admin privileges. Just depends if you have older hardware that may be a problem.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 12-01-2008 at 08:25 PM.
12-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
Junior Member
isin2rt's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maricopa, Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 49
Original Poster
Marc,
Thanks for advice to deactivate. I was able to deactivate on the old laptap (it pains me to call my 2yr old beast OLD) by using a fan aimed directly at the vents and a cool pad underneath to keep the heat down. That worked great! Still got the system errors alerting to the heat, and it was slow with 50-80% CPU usage with nothing open. But I was able to deactivate. Now I am less worried about serious damage, other than the fan issue -- since it worked a little better when I resolved the heat issue.

My old laptop runs XP and the new one will be Vista (w/serice pack). I think I've read they have worked out alot of issues with Vista--but I am reading a few things online that concern me about the 64 bit version I am getting. I'm not afraid to tinker to get things working--and maybe these comments are written by serious novices --but I'm concerned. Some people say things like "be prepared to buy all new software!" That is a scary thought.

I have read that CS4 is optimized for 64 bit Vista --but I wasn't really planning to update. Although, I just bought CS3 in July-- I think they owe me a free update! Free would be good. That's about what I can afford --having just bought a new camera, lenses, lots of toys to go with --and a laptop--which lead me to buy a 22" monitor since I am going from a 17" to a 14.1". My eyesight ain't the best. Man-- sounds like I need a sugar daddy!
Thanks for all your help!
Kelly
12-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Marc Langille's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NW Arkansas, USA
Posts: 4,702
QuoteOriginally posted by isin2rt Quote
Marc,
Thanks for advice to deactivate. I was able to deactivate on the old laptap (it pains me to call my 2yr old beast OLD) by using a fan aimed directly at the vents and a cool pad underneath to keep the heat down. That worked great! Still got the system errors alerting to the heat, and it was slow with 50-80% CPU usage with nothing open. But I was able to deactivate. Now I am less worried about serious damage, other than the fan issue -- since it worked a little better when I resolved the heat issue.

My old laptop runs XP and the new one will be Vista (w/serice pack). I think I've read they have worked out alot of issues with Vista--but I am reading a few things online that concern me about the 64 bit version I am getting. I'm not afraid to tinker to get things working--and maybe these comments are written by serious novices --but I'm concerned. Some people say things like "be prepared to buy all new software!" That is a scary thought.

I have read that CS4 is optimized for 64 bit Vista --but I wasn't really planning to update. Although, I just bought CS3 in July-- I think they owe me a free update! Free would be good. That's about what I can afford --having just bought a new camera, lenses, lots of toys to go with --and a laptop--which lead me to buy a 22" monitor since I am going from a 17" to a 14.1". My eyesight ain't the best. Man-- sounds like I need a sugar daddy!
Thanks for all your help!
Kelly
My honor Kelly. Get the all the memory installed that you can on it, to ensure it's a happy experience! Glad you got the deactivation done too.

BTW, built in thermal protection is standard on most CPU's. It's been around since the 1990's - the Pentium Pro was the first to use it. My favorite is watching the big "pie-eyes" when I start dismantling a laptop for someone...

Sugar Daddies are good too... but aren't you a teacher? You'll get those smoking academic prices...

Cheers,
Marc
12-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #12
Junior Member
isin2rt's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maricopa, Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 49
Original Poster
You're not afraid to dismantle a laptop? Now that is downright sexy! (Bet you don't hear that much)
I've spoken to so many chickens recently.
SO about this thermal protection --is that something that protects my system from the damages of heat? Is it software or hardware? I'm hoping it's protecting it in a way other than the message telling me "I'm hot! Turn me off"
Yes-- I am a teacher-- but the only angle I've managed to work as far as a discount was on Corel Draw 13 (it's like illustrator) for $100 (vs $450) and Painter.
I think teacher can sometimes get deals on MAC's but I didn't want a MAC. I use one for work-- I'm a PC girl. I tried to see about discounts on Adobe and they were for larger packages than just the CS3 (at least what I could find). I unded up upgrading from elements for $300 --I figure that was as good as it was gonna get!
Kelly
12-01-2008, 10:03 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Marc Langille's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NW Arkansas, USA
Posts: 4,702
QuoteOriginally posted by isin2rt Quote
You're not afraid to dismantle a laptop? Now that is downright sexy! (Bet you don't hear that much)
I've spoken to so many chickens recently.
SO about this thermal protection --is that something that protects my system from the damages of heat? Is it software or hardware? I'm hoping it's protecting it in a way other than the message telling me "I'm hot! Turn me off"
Yes-- I am a teacher-- but the only angle I've managed to work as far as a discount was on Corel Draw 13 (it's like illustrator) for $100 (vs $450) and Painter.
I think teacher can sometimes get deals on MAC's but I didn't want a MAC. I use one for work-- I'm a PC girl. I tried to see about discounts on Adobe and they were for larger packages than just the CS3 (at least what I could find). I unded up upgrading from elements for $300 --I figure that was as good as it was gonna get!
Kelly
Yes I can and get paid for it... nothing like "ripping open" someone's baby... Thanks for the very nice compliment... I think... but are the chickens OK??

Thermal protection is built into the CPU itself - it's hardware based. The system will spontaneously shutdown without warning if it overheats. You can check online at many sites for academic discounts. I can dig around and point you there if needed.

Last edited by Marc Langille; 12-01-2008 at 10:15 PM.
12-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,357
Sugar Daddies? Sexy? Thermal protection? Larger packages? Ripping open? Chickens?

Boy, have to block you two! No, wait, add to friends...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adobe, cs3, laptop, photography, photoshop, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cs3 and K7 shooz Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 4 12-24-2009 03:35 PM
CS3 or CS4? NaClH2O Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 10 12-28-2008 09:46 PM
PS CS3 question. phoreal Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 7 10-23-2007 10:27 AM
I Got Cs3! Buddha Jones Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 4 06-14-2007 07:54 PM
CS3 anyone ? daacon Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 10 05-03-2007 04:37 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:31 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top