Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2021, 07:52 AM   #1

Good printer for casual prints

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a relatively good printer that's less than $300. I would like to print some photos that I've taken but I am by no means a professional and take great photos so I'm thinking that a printer would be cheaper in the long-run rather than getting phtos processed at a shop. I appreciate any advice and tips! Thanks!

07-28-2021, 08:54 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The size of your prints will have a big impact on printer cost. If you are OK with 8x10's then you have a lot of very inexpensive choices. If you need larger then the price goes up of course. Another issue is that ink jet printers need to be used fairly regularly or the ink dries up. Even if the ink is not an issue some printers run through a 'cleaning' cycle if not used for a while that runs through ink like water. Bottom line if you are printing weekly in some volume then a good printer is likely cost effective. If not, it will be MUCH cheaper to simply have your prints done at a lab. I've found that ink cost alone is similar to the cost of a lab done print, and that doesn't even consider the cost of the printer. Most of my prints are in the range $3 - 8. So how many prints do you need to make to cover the cost of a $300 printer? Not counting paper and ink costs.

That said there is some advantage to having your own printer: you can get a print immediately, you can experiment with different papers and you have full control over the way your prints come out.

I used to have a Canon PRO-1 and do all my own printing both for personal use and for sale. But after a careful analysis I determined it was a lot cheaper to simply set up an account at any of several labs, including Costco and get the work down there. I gave the printer away. I primarily use MPIX as my lab because they are tied to my website. But for personal use Costco does good work.
07-28-2021, 09:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ahh those inkjet printers. Cost more (or way more) than using a photo lab service, but it's the price to pay for convenience and immediacy.
07-28-2021, 12:19 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Costco in our area has closed down and removed the photo service section. Do they still do prints by mail ?

07-28-2021, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Costco in our area has closed down and removed the photo service section. Do they still do prints by mail ?
Yes they do. They closed the photo section in our local Costco as well. I have not used them in a year or so, I have been using MPIX for my printing. When I used Costco I thought the quality was OK, not great. More than fine for casual personal use but not IMHO good enough for prints I was going to sell.
07-28-2021, 01:13 PM   #6
Closed Account

I use one of the Epson photo Expression series printers. It's a multi-function device and is also my main printer because as noted above, unless you're printing a lot, heads clogging etc... can be a problem. It's not profiled in any way besides a generic Epson paper profile I've installed and I stick with the Epson paper and inks so it is at least consistent. I print 6x4 to A4 and as it has a back loader, you can use longer landscape sheets with it if you so wish.

Results are reasonable, certainly better than a lot of generic print services I've used. It can sometimes take a few attempts altering colour and brightness but I'm happy enough with the results to frame stuff from it, even b&w can be done which surprised me but once the print dries the colour cast it normally comes out with fades but as I say, Epson papers and inks seem to work best. Wasn't too expensive a device either.

Last edited by 3by2; 07-28-2021 at 01:28 PM.
07-28-2021, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

anything I'm going to hang on a wall, I send to MPIX.com for printing...

07-28-2021, 02:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I once attempted to use the color printer option, but soon found out that the ink that I bought would mostly dry up instead being available for printing, and the refill option was not effective. I now resort to getting my prints at Wal Mart which uses machines that provide really nice prints at a fair price.

I make sure the auto-enhance mode is shut off when I get prints done.

Last edited by C_Jones; 07-28-2021 at 02:32 PM.
07-28-2021, 03:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the posters in this thread are expressing what I feel about printers; they can provide great quality quickly, but at a cost and sometimes inconvenience not seen with a printing service. By the time you end up buying inks, running into clogs, and other printer issues, it can often not be worth the effort. If you're a serious photographer and do custom prints and want all the control, that's another story. I would recommend Epson or Canon printers if you go that route. For smaller sized prints, they are an affordable purchase and can provide satisfaction with good prints. Check into Nations Photo Lab if you're interested in printing services. I've used them and they are quick and reliable. There are others out there, of course.

Professional Photo Printing & Photo Gifts | Nations Photo Lab
07-28-2021, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I've got an amazing HP printer that uses pigment instead of ink, and it sits in my office, unused because it's easier to get prints from Adorama than to plug it in and download drivers.
07-28-2021, 04:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I print but not often, I tend to send larger batches a few times per year, so inkjet would be problematic just with that. In addition, I like the flexibility: trying paper types without buying a pack, different sizes, bound prints like small albums that I can't do at home. I also like the convenience, because I'd need to figure out soft proofing profiles, cut the paper, I'm just not sure I can manage it all without many trials.
07-28-2021, 05:21 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple of years ago I bought a Canon TS8220 a six cartridge inkjet printer and purchased a print program called Qimage. I bought my own refillable cartridges and ink refill supplies. I print sporadically and I'm satisfied with what I get out of the TS8220 as I'm not that demanding. Qimage allows me to keep the nozzles of the printer purged so no clogs so far except for the pigment black cartridge which is used by the TS8220 solely to print normal black text which I don't need anyway. I bought a cheap HP Laser printer for daily text printing. I bought 200 sheets of photo paper and did my own ICC profiles for the paper. I'm happy with my setup for occasional printing.
07-28-2021, 05:26 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
printer

I still use Canon Pixma IP 8720 4 x 6 to 19 x 13. work very well i use mostly not Canon ink cartridge .Amazon has very high quality ink work with Pixma very well Coast time 2 less vs Canon ink .Printer work as plug in and via wifi /you can buy around 280 canon web or amazon

For very high end print i use White wall company but price????
07-28-2021, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Ink cartridges are a scam. Lure you in with a cheap printer price, then suck you dry for ink.
07-28-2021, 09:05 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrMacro Quote
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a relatively good printer that's less than $300. I would like to print some photos that I've taken but I am by no means a professional and take great photos so I'm thinking that a printer would be cheaper in the long-run rather than getting phtos processed at a shop. I appreciate any advice and tips! Thanks!
In the long run, the at home printer will not be cheaper. And the shops, for the most part, are all on line with economies of scale beyond home occasional use.