Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2021, 05:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Cobalt Image filters

Hello everyone,
I open this thread, still non-existent on Pentaxforums.com, about the Cobalt Image site. These are color filters, which allow you to switch from one device to another, while having the same rendering on the screen. This colorimetric rendering would come as close as possible to reality, allowing a better tonal gradient, while eliminating the over-saturation artefacts used by the various brands of digital cameras. In other words, we would have a better calibration. Different filters are available as needed.
Many of those I have read are very happy with the results.

There are different types of pack:
- the DNG base pack which allows you to work on Photoshop, Lightroom, Luminar, DxO PhotoLab, RawTherapee (but also Capture One) and which offers Standard, Neutral, Flat, Repro filters. This pack is required to use the following packs. So you can have different base packs, as many as you have cameras, but a single pack of one of the following options is enough to use all the combinations according to the different cameras you have.
- emulation packs for boxes different from yours
- Emulation Film Packs of the brands Fuji, Kodachrome diapo, Kodak Films negatives.

There is a 15% discount code until the end of August 2021: justforFM

Any experience is welcome.

PS: I find it very interesting to be able to take advantage of an extended calibration on the one hand, then to switch from one camera to another (Pentax K-1 & Panasonic DC-S1) without worrying about the original color differences thanks to these filters ... thank you to LudisR by the way for insisting and for having convinced me of the merits of these filters ...

08-03-2021, 01:18 PM   #2

Installation question

Hello teiki arii

Intrigued by your post I thought to give these filters a try so bought and installed as per PDF instructions but profiles are not available in Lightroom Classic under the Profiles menu. I,d be grateful for any pointers.
Cheers
Joe
08-03-2021, 01:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, these profiles are available under LRCC > 6.3 if I do remember well... But you need the DNG base Pack to use emulations (different camera renderings & rolls rendering)...
03-05-2022, 04:30 AM - 2 Likes   #4

Curiosity got the better of me and I bought 4 packs of cobalt profiles. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I spent almost 200 euros on something that I will never use.
I have a favorite color camera for many years - fuji s5pro. There were and are different cameras from nikon, canon ... but the result with fuji s5pro still pleases me the most. I wanted to get a picture on my new fuji xt4 like on fuji s5pro, and cobalt-image promises it. CCD Fever - Cobalt
I was ready to get a non-perfect match, but in reality this does not look like emulation at all. Some other profiles, supposedly emulating, for example, leica, defy explanation at all, how can this be sold ?, it's so bad. All attempts to present dissatisfaction to the developer, they unreasonably interpret as the stupidity of the buyer.
I sincerely do not advise this to buy - an extremely poor quality product.
---
Real Fuji s5pro vs cobalt emulation:

Real Fuji s5pro vs cobalt emulation- look at what it does with red, orange, look at the flowers, how the emulation darkens them unnaturally. And in general...:
image share

---
And then supposedly leica m8, according to cobalt-image.
It's even worse here - the flowers are generally blackened.
Do you really think that the m8 is so red?!

And they tell me that I didn't set the white balance correctly. They insist that this will save the flowers from blackening.

03-07-2022, 05:09 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

To me it looks like a great solution, I'm just having trouble with what it's a solution to.