Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2021, 10:56 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
right mouse button in MacOS
Macs have two button mice, have had them for a long time,
There is really not a lot of difference in basic user experience between OS X and Windows any more,
Yes, a few odd key differences, both have their annoyances,
As I mentioned above, I switch seamlessly back and forth daily, it's not that big of a deal

08-19-2021, 12:43 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Having bought the original Aperture because it looked better to me than the even newer Lightroom, I was also somewhat peeved when Apple stopped developing it. I did eventually buy CS3 and then CS5, but only because I qualified for an education discount. I haven’t seen the need to go beyond CS5, but I have experimented with Affinity and ON1, both of which have their attractions (including their low prices, particularly when discounted), and with Topaz Studio (version 1 is free) as I already had a number of their plug-ins from CS. CS5 won’t run on my new MacBook Pro, hence the experimenting, but my old 27” iMac from 2009 presses on (with a new SSD from earlier this year) and handles the K-1 files without complaint.

I wouldn’t bother with Photos, personally.
08-19-2021, 04:02 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I use Windows at work, but I started using a Mac for personal use about 10 years ago because I liked my iPhone so much. There were definitely some frustrations at first, but I shift between my Windows 10 Laptop and my Mac Desktop pretty seamlessly now.

FWIW I have an older version of Lightroom, but I find it overwhelming and don't need most of the bells and whistles, so I use Photos
  1. Shoot in RAW or RAW+
  2. Plug the SD card into the slot on the back of the Mac and import the RAW files into Photos. This pulls them into the Photos directory on the 1TB SSD that's installed in the Mac.
  3. Tweak exposure, contrast, and crop in photos.
  4. Export out JPEG if I want to share the photos online or get them printed. I'm too cheap to pay for iCloud storage, so I usually copy the keepers up to my Google Drive manually.
  5. I have a USB hard drive plugged into the Mac that takes hourly backups using the native Time Machine. Time Machine is pretty sweet because I can restore individual files, restore the entire Mac, or take the entire USB drive to another Mac and boot the OS off of it.

Last edited by trixtroll; 08-19-2021 at 04:08 AM.
08-23-2021, 01:27 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
I use Windows at work, but I started using a Mac for personal use about 10 years ago because I liked my iPhone so much. There were definitely some frustrations at first, but I shift between my Windows 10 Laptop and my Mac Desktop pretty seamlessly now.

FWIW I have an older version of Lightroom, but I find it overwhelming and don't need most of the bells and whistles, so I use Photos
  1. Shoot in RAW or RAW+
  2. Plug the SD card into the slot on the back of the Mac and import the RAW files into Photos. This pulls them into the Photos directory on the 1TB SSD that's installed in the Mac.
  3. Tweak exposure, contrast, and crop in photos.
  4. Export out JPEG if I want to share the photos online or get them printed. I'm too cheap to pay for iCloud storage, so I usually copy the keepers up to my Google Drive manually.
  5. I have a USB hard drive plugged into the Mac that takes hourly backups using the native Time Machine. Time Machine is pretty sweet because I can restore individual files, restore the entire Mac, or take the entire USB drive to another Mac and boot the OS off of it.
I prefer the MAC because I can find the settings quickly and the OS is much more intuitive to me, plus the laptop will copy the wifi password from your phone. You will have bought the OS and future upgrades, and if it slows down then you can reinstall the OS. An hour or two to spend some time learning where options are would be well spent, and the online support is excellent.
I need to replace the battery in my mid 2012 Air. No windows laptop that my family owned actually lasted more than 4 years.
I started with Photos cos it is easy to use and I still use it to organise shots. There are some good alternatives for RAW processing - I use Pentax DCU with its lens corrections, or when the shadows are too deep, I use Photoshop elements (no auto lens corrections).

08-23-2021, 02:27 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
If you can spend money on a software you may try to use ACDSee Photo Studio for Mac. It is not native, but it is great all-in-one (DAM, editor, RAW developer). I do not know if anyone on Mac is using it to share experience, but on Windows it is great piece of software saving a lot of time.
I agree ACDSee what I have in my iPad Pro with new ACDSee option transfer photo in few seconds in my pc desktop or any pc device with ACDSee software