Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2021, 04:48 AM   #1

Exif Lens info

Hi friends,

Because I'm a little OCD (though not as much as some other posters here apprently), I'd like to correctly label the "Lens name" field of all my photos in the EXIF. I especially would like them all to appear nicely in LR.
Currently when I filter in LR, I get
- a good part of the modern Pentax glass correctly labelled
- some exceptions: DA18-55II instead of DA L 18-55, smc FA 35 instead of HD FA 35 only in a few shots
- the generic "A-series lens" and "K or M lens" for the manual ones
- and some alternative labelling for 3rd-party glass (eg Tamron 10-24, same lens, registered both as "Tamron SP AF 10-24mmF/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Asph IF" and as "TAMRON SP 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 DiII B001P")

I guess these discrepancies come from software issues, either camera firmwares (I used 4 Pentax bodies over the year and update their FW regularly) or editing.

I have been using ExiftoolGUI with some success (using the "Lens info from Maker notes" function got rid of the previously "unknown lens" pictures). But now it seems I'm stuck:
- I can't manually input the exact lens name I'd like to see in the exif (yes I would be willing to that manually), since it seems everything is actually translated into "codes" and if a value doesn't exist in the register, then it can't be saved, right?
- I can't make the 2 Tamrons merge (no idea why but the "Lens info from MN" function returns an error on the shots bearing the "TAMRON SP 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 DiII B001P" lens name)
- Same goes for the 18-55 versions (should be only 1 lens) and the FA 35 (should be the HD everywhere).

Sorry for my long post and rookie question (I read several threads that seemed to be related but none that I could actually understand )
Any idea how to solve? (other than "please stop obsessing and go do something useful" )
And how do you guys deal with labelling your manual lenses in post?

10-08-2021, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
(other than "please stop obsessing and go do something useful" )
I don't think you can fix this.
10-08-2021, 05:42 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi friends,

Because I'm a little OCD (though not as much as some other posters here apprently), I'd like to correctly label the "Lens name" field of all my photos in the EXIF. I especially would like them all to appear nicely in LR.
Currently when I filter in LR, I get
- a good part of the modern Pentax glass correctly labelled
- some exceptions: DA18-55II instead of DA L 18-55, smc FA 35 instead of HD FA 35 only in a few shots
- the generic "A-series lens" and "K or M lens" for the manual ones
- and some alternative labelling for 3rd-party glass (eg Tamron 10-24, same lens, registered both as "Tamron SP AF 10-24mmF/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Asph IF" and as "TAMRON SP 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 DiII B001P")

I guess these discrepancies come from software issues, either camera firmwares (I used 4 Pentax bodies over the year and update their FW regularly) or editing.

I have been using ExiftoolGUI with some success (using the "Lens info from Maker notes" function got rid of the previously "unknown lens" pictures). But now it seems I'm stuck:
- I can't manually input the exact lens name I'd like to see in the exif (yes I would be willing to that manually), since it seems everything is actually translated into "codes" and if a value doesn't exist in the register, then it can't be saved, right?
- I can't make the 2 Tamrons merge (no idea why but the "Lens info from MN" function returns an error on the shots bearing the "TAMRON SP 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 DiII B001P" lens name)
- Same goes for the 18-55 versions (should be only 1 lens) and the FA 35 (should be the HD everywhere).

Sorry for my long post and rookie question (I read several threads that seemed to be related but none that I could actually understand )
Any idea how to solve? (other than "please stop obsessing and go do something useful" )
And how do you guys deal with labelling your manual lenses in post?
Since you are using the ExiftoolGUI, select a photo which you like to add the lens information, then click on the right 'workspace' button, (the blue one).
There is a 'lensModel' area (blue), click on it and you can enter your information in the yellow area on the bottom. Then click 'enter' and then 'the 'save' button on the right. Your lens information will then be save on the Metadata. You can input the same lens information on many photos by select them.
Attached Images

10-08-2021, 09:44 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
LensTagger

10-08-2021, 11:35 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micl161 Quote
Since you are using the ExiftoolGUI, select a photo which you like to add the lens information, then click on the right 'workspace' button, (the blue one).
There is a 'lensModel' area (blue), click on it and you can enter your information in the yellow area on the bottom. Then click 'enter' and then 'the 'save' button on the right. Your lens information will then be save on the Metadata. You can input the same lens information on many photos by select them.
Thanks for your reply! But it doesn't work like that for me:
- for the 18-55 (old, with K-x): I can replace the text "smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II" by "smc PENTAX-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL" and hit save, and yes it saves. But in LR, even after refreshing the metadata, nothing is changed I still have the old description
- same for the 35mm smc/HD (quite recent, with K-3II), I can save but no change in LR
- for the A-series (haven't tried the K/M yet) I have various situations:
1) the oldest, taken with K-x in 2010, cannot be modified. When I hit save, I get the error message " 0 image files updated / 1 files weren't updated due to errors / Error: [minor] MakerNotes offsets may be incorrect (fix or ignore?) - 2 Roses (26).JPG / <-END-"
2) the newest, taken with K-1 in 2021, can be saved but the changes are not reflected in LR.

My issues seem to be 2 different cases:
- some pictures do not seem to be easily modifiable with ExiftoolGui (up to date of course). Could be linked with camera FW or editing software used in the past?
- others are modifiable normally as you describe, but is there a way to get the desired lens name to show in LR?

---------- Post added 08-10-21 at 20:42 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
LensTagger
Thanks! I'm tempted to try this one, it seems convenient to work directly from inside LR... but I'm just a bit worried that it could potentially mess up even more the standardisation of the Exifs, no? Have you personnally used it and can vouch for it?
It's just, hese metadata seem so "fragile" and less-than-optimally normalised across the industry... If in 10 years I'm using another software I'd like it to still be able to decode it successfully...

EDIT: after doing a bit more reading on the wesite, I see that it is also based on Exiftool, therefore I feel reassured. I'll try, but not sure this will yield a different output than ExiftoolGui.

---------- Post added 08-10-21 at 20:44 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
I don't think you can fix this.
I hear there are very good professionals that can help... Now, would it be more or less of a waste of time, that is the question

Last edited by victordeamorin; 10-08-2021 at 11:52 AM.
10-08-2021, 01:15 PM   #6

Original Poster
OK, just one last word for this evening: Mind. Blown.
QuoteQuote:
LensTagger
This is a revelation. Such time (and mental health) saved. Will definitely donate to the developer![COLOR="Silver"]

Last edited by victordeamorin; 10-08-2021 at 01:16 PM. Reason: remove duplicate
10-08-2021, 04:31 PM   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

As micl161 says, in ExifToolGUI (but not in the command line version of ExifTool), you can enter the name for the lens in any form you want. See Saving Lens Information in Meta Data - PentaxForums.com
(There is a lot of useful information in this thread and the other threads linked from it.)

It looks like LensTagger builds on this functionality.

10-09-2021, 04:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for your reply! But it doesn't work like that for me:- for the 18-55 (old, with K-x): I can replace the text "smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II" by "smc PENTAX-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL" and hit save, and yes it saves. But in LR, even after refreshing the metadata, nothing is changed I still have the old description- same for the 35mm smc/HD (quite recent, with K-3II), I can save but no change in LR- for the A-series (haven't tried the K/M yet) I have various situations:1) the oldest, taken with K-x in 2010, cannot be modified. When I hit save, I get the error message " 0 image files updated / 1 files weren't updated due to errors / Error: [minor] MakerNotes offsets may be incorrect (fix or ignore?) - 2 Roses (26).JPG / <-END-"2) the newest, taken with K-1 in 2021, can be saved but the changes are not reflected in LR.My issues seem to be 2 different cases:- some pictures do not seem to be easily modifiable with ExiftoolGui (up to date of course). Could be linked with camera FW or editing software used in the past?- others are modifiable normally as you describe, but is there a way to get the desired lens name to show in LR?
Sorry but I'm not using LR so I don't know whats the answer. It works on my Raw Therapee and FastStone image viewer .. both program can show the modified lens information. Good luck.
10-12-2021, 01:23 AM   #9

Original Poster
Well a few days later, my complete picture collection has been properly tagged and LR sees and filters them perfectly. Thanks to LensTagger and to boriscleto for the recommendation.
I have no idea what goes on under the hood, since obviously the output result is different from ExifToolGui. I'm therefore not 100% sure that the written metadata will be readable by any other viewing/editing program, and also not sure that something else was not messed up in the process for compatibilty with other programs, but, oh well we'll see when it becomes relevant.
10-12-2021, 05:49 PM   #10
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How to do it (On Windows)
First Make a complete list of your lenses in a text file and save it.
  • Copy your images to your computer.
  • Open ExifToolGUI, sorting your images selecting by the Maker Notes Lens Model.
  • Select the images to update.
  • Click on Modify (on the tool bar).
  • Click on the LensInfo from MakersNotes.
  • ExifToolGUI will update the images.

For your A type or unrecognized lenses (I am assuming that you have created a list of ALL Lens Names)
  • In ExifToolGUI - sort by Maker Notes Lens Model.
  • Select all images taken by the images you selected.
  • In the Workspace click on LensModel.
  • At the bottom of the Metadata page, paste the Lens Name copied from your text file into the dialogue box , hit enter and then save. - All selected images will have the information updated into the field.

Before you begin all of this - Edit the "User Defined" dropdown list to be as follows;
Name:  ExifTool.png
Views: 26
Size:  16.5 KB
During all of the above, you should be using the "User Defined" file list.