Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2021, 03:17 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New laptop

I've been meaning to post about my searches for a new laptop with the idea being that I could state my needs and see if anyone could make suggestions. Instead, I have this morning bit the bullet and bought a new machine which is yet to arrive.
A bit backwards, I know, but there were only 5 available from the supplier and I felt that this one ticked most of the boxes for my 2D and 3D CAD / BIM work as well as my needs for photography.

So, for context: I've been using my 10 year old HP Elitebook 8760W and it's been fine, but it's been struggling a bit of late with some tasks I throw at it. It has an Intel i7-2820QM CPU @ 2.30GHz, 16Gb of RAM, NVidea Quatro 4000M (2Gb) graphics card, 120GB solid state drive and a 700GB hard drive and a 17" screen.

The new machine is a HP Zbook Fury G8 Mobile Workstation with Intel i7-11850H (2.5 GHz base frequency, up to 4.8 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 24 MB L3 cache, 8 cores, 16 threads) with 32Gb DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA RTX A3000 (6 GB GDDR6 dedicated) graphics card, 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC SSD, 2 TB 5400 rpm SATA HDD and a 17.3" 4K UHD (3840 x 2160), IPS, anti-glare, 550 nits screen and all the usual ports and even a sim card slot.

I would have liked the model with the 8Gb graphics card but it's a fair bit more money. It's also spill proof and has HP wolf security and vapor chamber cooling. Like the old machine, it is easy to get into the case to make repairs.

So, before I get buyers remorse, can someone tell me if it's likely to be an OK choice?

10-19-2021, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
So, before I get buyers remorse, can someone tell me if it's likely to be an OK choice?
It's sounds pretty crap Mark, send it to me for proper disposal
10-19-2021, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Haha, well it looks fine to me. I will be able to confirm for you in a few hours. I have a new machine supposed to arrive today with the same processor and memory, but with the lower tier 4GB Nvidia T600 graphics. This will be a work provided machine, it's a 15" Dell Precision Workstation but very similar to your HP. I think you'll do fine with it and it should be quite a noticeable jump over your old machine.
10-19-2021, 03:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
Haha, well it looks fine to me. I will be able to confirm for you in a few hours. I have a new machine supposed to arrive today with the same processor and memory, but with the lower tier 4GB Nvidia T600 graphics. This will be a work provided machine, it's a 15" Dell Precision Workstation but very similar to your HP. I think you'll do fine with it and it should be quite a noticeable jump over your old machine.
Oh, cool! We'll have to confirm notes!

Two weeks ago when I started looking they had quite a few in stock. This morning, when I bought, they had 5 left. Now, I see they're down to 1.

10-19-2021, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The new MacBook Pro 14" and 16" models were released yesterday. They come with the new Apple silicon M1 Pro or M1 Max chips with up to 10-core CPU and 32-core GPU, 16-core Neural Net engine, and 64 GB unified memory. As I understand it, the unified memory means the CPU and GPU won't need to exchange data.

I will get one sometime in the next few months, but I don't know which model yet. The top end is aimed at very heavy duty video editing, which I don't need. I have to work out which is best for scientific computing, which is CPU-based. Of course, photo editing should be a breeze.
10-19-2021, 03:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm too old to learn a new operating system Paul!
10-19-2021, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With today's computers it is hard to make a wrong purchase.

The specs on your machine look super, and with it replacing a 10 year old workhorse, I am sure you will find the performance almost unbelievable.

Congratulations! You will enjoy it thoroughly.

10-19-2021, 04:50 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'm too old to learn a new operating system Paul!
I have worked with many operating systems since first starting computing in 1972.

I am most comfortable on Unix/Linux/MacOS, but have had to deal with Windows (various versions) for many years to administer my wife's machines. She has learnt to leave the room when I am working on her computer, due to the string of expletives that leave my mouth.
10-19-2021, 06:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
With today's computers it is hard to make a wrong purchase.

The specs on your machine look super, and with it replacing a 10 year old workhorse, I am sure you will find the performance almost unbelievable.

Congratulations! You will enjoy it thoroughly.
Thanks Don!
10-19-2021, 06:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I have worked with many operating systems since first starting computing in 1972.

I am most comfortable on Unix/Linux/MacOS, but have had to deal with Windows (various versions) for many years to administer my wife's machines. She has learnt to leave the room when I am working on her computer, due to the string of expletives that leave my mouth.
I swear plenty but I need Windows for my work. Macs can't run some of the software and, as I say, too old to teach an ol' dog new tricks.
10-19-2021, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I am replacing my desktop and bought a Intel NUC 11 RNUC11PAQI70QA1, i7-1165G7 , seem to be agreat little machine for my need . I was looking for a laptop but I use 2 screen for business purpose.
Got it at Costco Canada , great deal
https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/products/sku/209677/intel-nuc-11-perf...fications.html
10-20-2021, 06:19 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
The only thing I can see wrong with it is the weight.
I gave up on 17" laptops because of the weight, went all the way down to 13", but they are too small.
Settled on 15" but when using AutoCAD it really needs to be connected to a large screen.
So if you are comfortable with the weight, the extra screen realestate will be appreciated when using CAD.
10-20-2021, 10:29 AM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats, Mark. Quite the powerhouse! Enjoy
10-20-2021, 11:56 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeKay Quote
The only thing I can see wrong with it is the weight.
I gave up on 17" laptops because of the weight, went all the way down to 13", but they are too small.
Settled on 15" but when using AutoCAD it really needs to be connected to a large screen.
So if you are comfortable with the weight, the extra screen realestate will be appreciated when using CAD.
Ah yes, the weight. My current machine pulls the scales at over 4kg, so this should be an improvement!
Still, it's a laptop in name only.

My last 2 machines have been 17" so the thought of going smaller is a no go. I use one external screen now, but will go to 2 with this. Maybe that would mean I'll see less need for the 17"? Time will tell.
10-20-2021, 11:57 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Congrats, Mark. Quite the powerhouse! Enjoy
Thank you Mike. I was hoping you'd weigh in. I seem to recall you went through a computer buying exercise not that long ago?