Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2021, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Thank you Mike. I was hoping you'd weigh in. I seem to recall you went through a computer buying exercise not that long ago?
Indeed so

I don't know if you recall, but I had an unfortunate, long-running saga with an HP ZBook 15 G5 with DreamColor 4K panel and integrated colorimeter (see this post). It's just my opinion, but I believe at that point in time the specific configuration I'd bought wasn't really a fully-proven combination, and since it only sold in very small numbers, I don't believe it was ever sorted (if indeed it could have been), as I wasn't the only one who experienced problems. Whether it was hardware, software, or a mix of both, who knows (it certainly seemed to be at least partially hardware related), but HP was unable to fix it despite numerous attempts both on and off-site, and they finally bought it back at full price in the last year of its three-year extended warranty.

Having said all that... It was a beautiful quality machine - superbly built, very robust; and HP's support was generally excellent, even if the end result was that the machine went back to them. I'd certainly buy from them again, based on the service I received.

The spec you've bought should be an absolute rocket-ship. I also think that in its 8th generation, the high-end ZBook should be very well-sorted by now, both from a hardware and software perspective. I've no doubt you'll love it.

The machine I eventually bought is a rung or three down from your new ZBook - a Lenovo Legion 5 17IMH05H with i7-10750H CPU, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 GPU, 1 x 512GB NVMe SSD for OS and 1 x 2TB SATA III SSD for data. Even so, it's blisteringly fast - easily the quickest laptop I've used, let alone owned, and I'm very happy with it. Looking at the spec of your new HP, though, mine's already looking a bit ersatz

I'm chuffed you've finally upgraded, Mark. Enjoy it, mate!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-20-2021 at 12:41 PM.
10-20-2021, 06:11 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Indeed so

I don't know if you recall, but I had an unfortunate, long-running saga with an HP ZBook 15 G5 with DreamColor 4K panel and integrated colorimeter (see this post). It's just my opinion, but I believe at that point in time the specific configuration I'd bought wasn't really a fully-proven combination, and since it only sold in very small numbers, I don't believe it was ever sorted (if indeed it could have been), as I wasn't the only one who experienced problems. Whether it was hardware, software, or a mix of both, who knows (it certainly seemed to be at least partially hardware related), but HP was unable to fix it despite numerous attempts both on and off-site, and they finally bought it back at full price in the last year of its three-year extended warranty.

Having said all that... It was a beautiful quality machine - superbly built, very robust; and HP's support was generally excellent, even if the end result was that the machine went back to them. I'd certainly buy from them again, based on the service I received.

The spec you've bought should be an absolute rocket-ship. I also think that in its 8th generation, the high-end ZBook should be very well-sorted by now, both from a hardware and software perspective. I've no doubt you'll love it.

The machine I eventually bought is a rung or three down from your new ZBook - a Lenovo Legion 5 17IMH05H with i7-10750H CPU, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 GPU, 1 x 512GB NVMe SSD for OS and 1 x 2TB SATA III SSD for data. Even so, it's blisteringly fast - easily the quickest laptop I've used, let alone owned, and I'm very happy with it. Looking at the spec of your new HP, though, mine's already looking a bit ersatz

I'm chuffed you've finally upgraded, Mark. Enjoy it, mate!
Ah yes, I remember now. Still that Lenovo sounds like a good spec machine. Good to hear it's working well for you.
Yes, Zbook is now G8. I understand the G7 model had cooling issues, but they seem to have addressed that.

Now of course, waiting for the courier to get it to me! I'm not the world's most patient person.
10-21-2021, 11:48 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
I bought a HP Z-Book 15 G6 about two years ago when I upgraded to Windows 10. Looks like a similar setup as yours. Mine has the i7 9750H processor, 16GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, UHD Dream Color display.

The display is beautiful and the build quality is good. My biggest gripe is the cooling fans. They work fine, but they are VERY loud. It looks like the Fury has some added rear vents which may help. I think the SSD adds a fair amount of heat. When you do a windows update or big software install, the fans kick in full blast. The firmware update for the cooling came out shortly after I got mine and that helped.

Performance-wise no issues. I miss the docking station option, but I just got a Kensington thunderbolt 3 dock which seems to work well. I have had good luck with HP. I would compare the Fury with the Elitebook. One reason I went for the Z-book was to get real buttons on the touch pad and a keypad. Otherwise, I also liked the Elitebook. I have always had 15” laptops.

Good luck!
10-22-2021, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #19

Should be a great laptop. The only thing I would change is "2 TB 5400 rpm SATA HDD". I couldn't stand 5400 RPM drives even before SSD was a thing. I'd recommend replacing it with one of these (or the 4TB one...). Samsung EVO or Pro are good too (avoid QVO drives - shorter life / lower performance).
amazon.com: Western Digital 2TB WD Blue 3D NAND Internal PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5?tag=pentaxforums-20&"/7mm, Up to 560 MB/s - WDS200T2B0A : Electronics

For reference, my system is:
Sager NP7877DW (Clevo NH77DDW)
i7-10875H

32GB DDR4

nVidia RTX 2060 6GB

C - 1TB NVMe (ADATA)

D - 2TB NVMe (Western Digital)

E - 2TB SSD (Micro / Intel)

It came with 16GB RAM and 512GB NMVe but I upgraded with parts from the old MSI laptop (the vendor offers upgrades but I already owned the needed parts). Then more upgrades when I stumbled across sales. I upgrade every 3-5 years so I won't know if it still runs in 10 years...

10-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote
Should be a great laptop. The only thing I would change is "2 TB 5400 rpm SATA HDD". I couldn't stand 5400 RPM drives even before SSD was a thing. I'd recommend replacing it with one of these (or the 4TB one...). Samsung EVO or Pro are good too (avoid QVO drives - shorter life / lower performance).
I agree about the HDD, even when it's only for data storage. I installed a Crucial MX500 2TB SATA SSD for data in my own laptop, and I've been very pleased with the read/write speeds. My Dad's been running the 500GB version as his only drive (OS and data combined) for the past year, and he's just as pleased with his. He's no power user, but it's made a huge difference to his PC...
10-26-2021, 02:10 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MaineNative Quote
I bought a HP Z-Book 15 G6 about two years ago when I upgraded to Windows 10. Looks like a similar setup as yours. Mine has the i7 9750H processor, 16GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, UHD Dream Color display.

The display is beautiful and the build quality is good. My biggest gripe is the cooling fans. They work fine, but they are VERY loud. It looks like the Fury has some added rear vents which may help. I think the SSD adds a fair amount of heat. When you do a windows update or big software install, the fans kick in full blast. The firmware update for the cooling came out shortly after I got mine and that helped.

Performance-wise no issues. I miss the docking station option, but I just got a Kensington thunderbolt 3 dock which seems to work well. I have had good luck with HP. I would compare the Fury with the Elitebook. One reason I went for the Z-book was to get real buttons on the touch pad and a keypad. Otherwise, I also liked the Elitebook. I have always had 15” laptops.

Good luck!
Thanks for your comments. Checking out the Kensington Thunderbolt dock options now. The HP 230W dock is a lot of money.

The G8 Fury is running pretty quiet. The fans vent out through slots in the rear.
10-26-2021, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK. An update. Machine arrived Friday and I had limited time for set-up over the weekend. As is to be expected, once I logged in as me, it linked to all my data on Onedrive without any issues. Network setup was likewise no problem and I'll stick with Windows 10 for now due to several of the programs I use daily are not yet supported on Win 11.

Very quiet and very fast. Cooling seems OK, but I've not pressed it hard with 3D rendering yet, so a bit early to say.
HD screen is glorious. I cannot see pixels.
The new screen hinge design is quite nice.
Sound is good, not that it matters.
The keyboard has a nice feel to it and although the layout is slightly different to that of the older Elitebook, it's not bad and I'm already getting used to the small changes in layout.
I've installed all my main apps to the SSD and I have plenty of space left free. (around 330GB) The 2TB hardrive is still downloading my files from the cloud via Onedrive, but, again, 2TB is plenty for now. I may upgrade that drive before long though.

Now, some interesting surprises:
The fingerprint reader is quite different to that on the Elitebook. It's a little square "touch" sensor not the stripe type of the Elitebook. Works well enough. Mostly though, I'm using the facial recognition system for logging on combined with my phone proximity. The machine automatically locks itself if I walk off and take my phone with me, which is rather cunning.

The built in Tile device finder functionality is quite clever. I understand it will work at up to 200 yards.

So far I've not missed the optical drive yet but time will tell!

Oh, and I have found a neat HP video on Youtube outlining the disassembly process.

10-26-2021, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
OK. An update. Machine arrived Friday and I had limited time for set-up over the weekend. As is to be expected, once I logged in as me, it linked to all my data on Onedrive without any issues. Network setup was likewise no problem and I'll stick with Windows 10 for now due to several of the programs I use daily are not yet supported on Win 11.

Very quiet and very fast. Cooling seems OK, but I've not pressed it hard with 3D rendering yet, so a bit early to say.
HD screen is glorious. I cannot see pixels.
The new screen hinge design is quite nice.
Sound is good, not that it matters.
The keyboard has a nice feel to it and although the layout is slightly different to that of the older Elitebook, it's not bad and I'm already getting used to the small changes in layout.
I've installed all my main apps to the SSD and I have plenty of space left free. (around 330GB) The 2TB hardrive is still downloading my files from the cloud via Onedrive, but, again, 2TB is plenty for now. I may upgrade that drive before long though.

Now, some interesting surprises:
The fingerprint reader is quite different to that on the Elitebook. It's a little square "touch" sensor not the stripe type of the Elitebook. Works well enough. Mostly though, I'm using the facial recognition system for logging on combined with my phone proximity. The machine automatically locks itself if I walk off and take my phone with me, which is rather cunning.

The built in Tile device finder functionality is quite clever. I understand it will work at up to 200 yards.

So far I've not missed the optical drive yet but time will tell!

Oh, and I have found a neat HP video on Youtube outlining the disassembly process.
Removing & Replacing Parts | HP ZBook Fury 17 G8 Mobile WS | HP Computer Service | @HPSupport - YouTube
Fantastic. Seems like it's a well-sorted combo, Mark, with drivers all working nicely

My G5 had that square finger-print reader and I thought it was excellent. Worked better than any other I've tried in the past.

I'm with you re Win 10/11. I probably will upgrade, but not until I can verify that all my chosen apps work flawlessly on 11 before I install the upgrade. In any case, I'd like to see what issues folks come across in the next few months. I'm sure it's a great OS, but any new product - especially software - has bugs. I'd rather wait until those are mostly addressed before upgrading.

Congrats again on the new machine. I think you've picked a corker