Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 48 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2021, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DxO PhotoLab 5

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Hi Folks,

DXO has just released PhotoLab 4 5 with some nice new features. They have special launch pricing of 30% off until November 19th 14th for either upgrade or initial purchase for a perpetual license . Link: DxO PhotoLab 4 - Advanced Photo Editing Software for Mac & PC
Looks like it costs 80€ to get K-3 III support if you already have PL4 Elite Edition (at least PL4 says that there's no update available and searching for the K-3 III shows PL5 as supporting it). Bugger. But I like the software and have waited for K-3 III support to drop.

Also, they now support Fuji X-Trans sensors of some 18 cameras.

10-20-2021, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty cool they're finally supporting X-Trans.
10-20-2021, 10:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Pretty cool they're finally supporting X-Trans.
Bet that pleased you!!

So far everything looks great, I went ahead and downloaded FilmPack 6 so I'm good to go and my lens modules are updating when I click on an image taken with the lens. So far so good.

Now all I need to do is wade through a bunch of edits done with Affinity Photo (Ugh) and Zoner to bring my images up to PhotoLab spec!

Last edited by Larrymc; 10-20-2021 at 10:38 AM.
10-20-2021, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bet that pleased you!!
Of course! I'm all about what is best for the greatest number of people.

There is some cautious optimism among the Fuji folks for this, so hopefully enough of them buy it and keep DXO financially solvent. Considering I've been using since Optics Pro 7, that would please me, too!

10-20-2021, 01:06 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just got the DxO PL 5 come-on, and among other things, they are bragging about an image organizing system. Has anybody tried that?

My current not-very-convenient system consists of folders labeled by date, usually with some additional text about the subject. I ought to do better. Other recommendations?
10-20-2021, 01:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
I just got the DxO PL 5 come-on, and among other things, they are bragging about an image organizing system. Has anybody tried that?

My current not-very-convenient system consists of folders labeled by date, usually with some additional text about the subject. I ought to do better. Other recommendations?
I definitely didn't buy it for the image organization features, my simple system works for me. In the Photo Library section there are subsections for Metadata, IPTC and Keywording. The reason I did the upgrade was for support of the K-3 Mk III. PL5 seems to load faster and the DeepPrime feature is much faster processing, there are other features that are new that I haven't explored yet. Its definitely worth the $69 upgrade price. I also purchased the FilmPack 6 module at the upgrade price too.

Larry
10-20-2021, 01:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of course! I'm all about what is best for the greatest number of people.

There is some cautious optimism among the Fuji folks for this, so hopefully enough of them buy it and keep DXO financially solvent. Considering I've been using since Optics Pro 7, that would please me, too!
Financially solvent?? They have made it all these years without Fiji X-Tran support and they didn't fold. However, supporting poor little Fuji probably will enhance DXO's bottom line.

10-20-2021, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Financially solvent?? They have made it all these years without Fiji X-Tran support and they didn't fold. However, supporting poor little Fuji probably will enhance DXO's bottom line.
Remember, they went thru bankruptcy a couple years ago?
10-20-2021, 02:37 PM   #9
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now all I need to do is wade through a bunch of edits done with Affinity Photo (Ugh) and Zoner to bring my images up to PhotoLab spec!
I'm curious as to what these edits in Affinity Photo were since I would expect to use Affinity Photo only for those operations which PhotoLab 4 couldn't do.
10-20-2021, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
DxO PhotoLab 5
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't received an offer email yet.
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Looks like it costs 80€ to get K-3 III support if you already have PL4 Elite Edition
With the code "PHOTOLABFILMPACK", the price for the PL5 upgrade comes down from $US79.99 to $US69.30. I assume a similar discount applies to the Euro price.

But your point is right. It seems you need to upgrade to the new version of PL to get support for the K-3iii. It was the same with with the K-1 IIRC.
10-20-2021, 04:38 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
But your point is right. It seems you need to upgrade to the new version of PL to get support for the K-3iii. It was the same with with the K-1 IIRC.
I figured this would happen.
10-20-2021, 08:08 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
I'm curious as to what these edits in Affinity Photo were since I would expect to use Affinity Photo only for those operations which PhotoLab 4 couldn't do.
The edits were necessary because at the time I received my K-3 MK III DXO had not done the camera module for the Mk III, they received a camera from Pentax Europe shortly after I received my camera but could not finish the module in time for the June update to PhotoLab 4. They subsequently finished the module and included it in PhotoLab 5 along with several other camera models from other brands. The upgrade if you owned PhotoLab already was only $69 for me is quite a bargain.

So I'm set right now and don't plan to buy another camera or lens. BTW, Affinity Photo and On1 AI 2021 are both a total PITA to use, I have absolutely no use for that stuff. DXO PhotoLab will spoil you with its ease of operation and its superb output!
10-20-2021, 09:17 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also purchased the FilmPack 6 module at the upgrade price too.

Larry
What did that cost and what did it add over the existing version of filmpack?

---------- Post added 10-21-21 at 12:19 AM ----------

Remember, they went thru bankruptcy a couple years ago?
Well technically they were a different company. The two portions split up - I’m unclear which one was the more solvent.

EDIT: I think That may be wrong. The split may have preceded the bankruptcy. In any case the blame was placed on their camera hardware which failed miserably in the market.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 10-20-2021 at 09:24 PM.
10-20-2021, 10:01 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Well technically they were a different company. The two portions split up - I’m unclear which one was the more solvent.

EDIT: I think That may be wrong. The split may have preceded the bankruptcy. In any case the blame was placed on their camera hardware which failed miserably in the market.
I don't remember all the details, but I'm almost certain the measurement company and the software/hardware company split before the bankruptcy, and it was the software/hardware company that filed for bankruptcy - mostly for reorganizational purposes, IIRC.

The DXO One seemed pretty neat to me, a shame it didn't work out, although I guess with the improvement in smartphone imaging over the last couple years the One doesn't represent as big of a leap in IQ as it once did.

Anyway, I have no reason to upgrade to PhotoLab 5, as v4 is working just fine with my K-3 II and K-70.
10-21-2021, 06:36 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me as someone who will continue shooting a K-3 system for quite some time before I will be able to upgrade to the K-3 III, the biggest attractions of PL5 are the refinements to the control points and the introduction of control lines. Those make a marked difference with local adjustments, giving me more control over the selections and results, and by potentially speeding up edits too (e.g. you can now add one control line to an image area where you used to need a chain of control points to achieve a similar selection, which is pretty neat in my book). Imagine what this means for editing sky or coastlines ...

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 10-21-2021 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Examples added.