Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2008, 03:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Best Noise Reduction software

Hey there Pentaxians,

I'd like to know which software (or plugin?) you would recommend as the BEST noise reduction software for pentax RAWs and JPEGs respectively, while retaining best image quality. I don't want to be afraid shooting above ISO800 and above when I get my K10d!

Thanks!

12-05-2008, 04:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter

I don't know which is best, but I use Neat Image.

Neat Image - best noise reduction for digital cameras and scanners
12-05-2008, 05:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
May not be the best, but they offer a stand-alone freeware version.

Imagenomic - Imagination at Shutter Speed

Cheers...
12-05-2008, 07:07 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I tried NoiseNinja and Nik DFine plugins. Dfine is the one I used the most and the one I will definitely keep.

12-05-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i have tried noise ninga, and als spent a loit of time using the internal noise reduction software in PSP X2.

WHat I find is noise ninga is too aggressive and there is considerable loss of detail.
12-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
Hey there Pentaxians,

I'd like to know which software (or plugin?) you would recommend as the BEST noise reduction software for pentax RAWs and JPEGs respectively, while retaining best image quality. I don't want to be afraid shooting above ISO800 and above when I get my K10d!
I tried many but Imagenomic Noiseware is my preferred, tons of options but can run in full auto and it does a great job. Although to be honest I don't use it that much since I got my K20D. A few years ago I used Neat Image, good but much less sophisticated than Noiseware. Noise Ninja seems a bit too complex for me and Nik Dfine is too simple (but Nik Sharpener is a great tool BTW).
12-13-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

ninja noise too me seems to be the best - the latest version that it!
12-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I used Neat Image very happily for several years. However, I kept reading how good Noise Ninja was, supposed to be better than Neat Image. When I moved from PC to Mac, I bought Noise Ninja without trying it first (dumb idea), expecting to be wowed. However, I find it smears the picture much more than Neat Image did, and now wish I had just bought a new license for Neat Image.

If you are considering either of these programs, I highly recommend downloading the trial versions first. Neat Image may be pretty simple to use, but it gives very nice results.

12-15-2008, 10:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, guys..I'd let you know which one I choose for the long run!