Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2021, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ACDSee too, all changes are saved in separate folder (developed), separate files. It is not best editor, but for someone who wants 2-in-1 it is pretty ok. And it is getting better. Only denoise and sharpening is not so good, at least was not very good at 2019 version.

11-09-2021, 02:23 AM   #32
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ducky13 Quote
Thanks everyone. I will look into all the suggestions. Really appreciate all the answers.
Perhaps take a look at Exposure X7. The new version just came out recently. They have a trial version to make a test drive.
11-09-2021, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I like darktable - it's a free open source raw developer. It may not have all the features of Lightroom, but having never used Lightroom myself I don't find them missing. A bit of a learning curve as you figure it out (and having used it for years, I'm still learning!) but that comes with any raw developer.

https://www.darktable.org/
+2 for Darktable. An opensource software that I use on my main Linux machine as well as on the Windows laptop on the go. A full fledged RAW processor that meets all my needs and wants out of a RAW developer. Combined with GIMP (another OpenSource program that works on practically all OS), which I use for advanced image manipulation, it is a formidable combination to beat.
11-09-2021, 06:38 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Perhaps take a look at Exposure X7. The new version just came out recently. They have a trial version to make a test drive.
I'll have to, I liked the presets in X6 a lot... but didn't really click with the "normal" editing workflow.

11-09-2021, 06:39 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
+2 for Darktable. An opensource software that I use on my main Linux machine as well as on the Windows laptop on the go. A full fledged RAW processor that meets all my needs and wants out of a RAW developer. Combined with GIMP (another OpenSource program that works on practically all OS), which I use for advanced image manipulation, it is a formidable combination to beat.
Actually, that reminds me of something. I primarily use Linux as my daily driver, but dual boot with Windows for some specific (work related ) tasks. I noticed that darktable runs quicker on Linux than Windows, with the exact same hardware. Your mileage may vary, but I think I've read this somewhere online too - it was optimized for better hardware usage in Linux, but that can depend on the hardware you're running. Not to say it's slow in Windows, just a point to note.

As far as GIMP, I have that installed, but I don't do any image manipulation I can't do in darkroom (or Hugin for panorama stitching). And I find that it's way too complicated to understand
11-09-2021, 08:44 AM   #36

I used Lightroom for years and loved it, but went they went to a subscription plan I dropped it. I'll pay to update to a new version but I don't like subscriptions. Affinity Photo was my choice after trying demo versions of others. It's very good and there are quite a few help videos / references available.
Good luck with your hunt.
11-09-2021, 09:04 AM   #37

I suggest you take a look at ON1 RAW, you can try before you buy and it will quite happily use your existing file structure. It's reasonably easy to learn the basics, there's a goodly amount of Youtube videos and Scott Davenport's book 'On1 Photo RAW Essentials' book is very good.

11-09-2021, 09:08 AM   #38
Forum Member

Another vote for darktable, and Hugin for panoramas. I use gimp occasionally, but only in a very limited way.
11-09-2021, 09:20 AM   #39
pby

I mainly use LR6. I didn't updated to subscription, as I don't need any new feature, and I don't want to pay again for adobe products (less than a year after I bought LR6, they removed the map support, because THEY didn't want to pay Google).
Darktable may have similar editing feature, but I will miss the LR plugins I used for Flickr export, metadata, etc. And also all the third-parties integration (Helicon Focus, easyHDR, Topaz....)
Gimp is good for heavy edition, but I don't need it really. And now Hugin works very well for pano.
11-09-2021, 09:39 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NobodyButMe Quote
I used Lightroom for years and loved it, but went they went to a subscription plan I dropped it. I'll pay to update to a new version but I don't like subscriptions. Affinity Photo was my choice after trying demo versions of others. It's very good and there are quite a few help videos / references available.
Good luck with your hunt.
I added Lightroom as a subscription - having never owned it before. I liked it but came to like DXO more. The plan I was on was yearly. I tried to cancel months before renewal but they said I had to wait. Then they renewed before I could cancel during the narrow window this was possible. I called and complained. They refused to budge. Since it was a yearly price but actually billed monthly - I canceled the card and told them I was no longer interested. They complained and yet I got soliciting offers from them frequently before I told them I was done with them.
11-09-2021, 09:40 AM   #41

Lightroom Alternative

I have used ACDSee with success. I am not sure but I think an older version came with one of my Pentax cameras some years ago and I started upgrading. I like the light processing graphics slide bars.
11-09-2021, 10:02 AM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducky13 Quote
...would rather have the software installed on my laptop and be able to edit photos saved on my hard drive...
Oldschool, I would say. And I prefer that too ;-) My choice for this kind of work was RawTherapee. It might look very complex, but simply close the tabs and features which you don't like or need, save that layout for the future and you've got your customized workspace. It handles PEF files from *ist DS and DNG from K20D and K-x very nicely. I never missed JPGs anymore.
11-09-2021, 10:08 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'll put in another vote for On1 Photoraw. I used to use photoshop occasionally way back when, but then got away from photography for several years. When I got back to it, everything had changed and adobe had gone to their subscription service, which I didn't want to use. I tried a few free trials for a week or two and decided that I liked what On1 was selling the best, and the price was reasonable too. I have upgraded to the newest version a couple times now, and felt a bit ripped off when I bought their new standalone NoNoise program this summer, only to find much better functionality when they integrated it into the newest version of their overall program. That said, it seems to be at the point now that I would happily pay for what they offer, and probably ignore any updates for the next couple years anyway. It was fairly intuitive to use right from the get go, and the latest version with their AI noise reduction works really well for high ISO shots. I have to play a bit more with the new time-lapse program they've added, but so far it seems useful if you're into that sort of stuff. I also really like that I can use it with my existing folder structure that I've been using for many years. All raw edits are non-destructive, and you can load a previously edited raw file and see all the edits in place. The Android version of their software can also be useful sometimes.
Kristian
11-09-2021, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
I have tested it in 2020 ultimate. Indeed, window pops up asking what to do, save or not etc... But there is a checkbox at the bottom left corner which enables you to auto save changes if you move to next one
All this time, all I needed to do was check that box! Thanks for pointing it out.
11-09-2021, 11:13 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Purely from my opinion and experience, of course, but...
* Lightroom - capable and complete
* ON1 - lots of features but average results
* DarkTable - hurts my eyes (I cannot stand the "developer designed" interface)
* PhotoLab - if you want the sharpest, clearest images
* Luminar AI - if you're not really into post processing but rather pushing buttons to see what happens
* Affinity Photo - a very capable Photoshop replacement but lacklustre RAW developer

I have no experience of any of the others. And... you will find strong proponents of all of these. They each have their strengths. My go-to for the last few years is PhotoLab for its impressive sharpness and noise reduction capabilities coupled with decent processing tools. But I also use Lightroom to manage keywords (which I use to a level most do not).