Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2021, 12:50 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Presently I am paying the subscription for PS, Lightroom and the whole package and for $10.00 it is no biggie for me and if something glitches then I get chat/online help. For about 15 years I was using Photoimpact which I first got as a software toss-in with a new printer. I kept upgrading until I got Version 10 and then stopped as versions after that seemed cumbersome and redundant. I have noticed that with PS many of its features are the same ones I already had with Photoimpact. I still will use Photoimpact at times, kind of a back and forth thing, for features that give me effects which PS won't. Now PS has so many cool things I can do I just keep on learning and watching online videos about how to do this or that and it is fun.

The thing with me is that I enjoy the outdoors and doing my photo tours to just plain be outside. Besides to my recollection I have not seen any sunsets or shadows or reflections or sunlit/highlights at 1:00 in the morning, in my time zone................. I leave my image editing for evening and nighttime.

11-11-2021, 07:44 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Mac.
I use DXO PhotoLab 5.
Another not bad alternative is RAW Power which is designed for MACs and maybe what the Aperture program may have become if Apple continued to support it.
11-11-2021, 08:19 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Another vote here for the Pentax-supplied Digital Camera Utility.
The earlier versions were rather cryptic and unintuitive, but the current release, v5.9.2, has several significant improvements "under the hood", even though it looks much the same on the surface.
From my perspective, the main advantage to DCU is that it "speaks the same language" as the camera, so if you regularly need to apply +3 "whatever" in DCU, simply set the camera to use +3 "whatever" by default (or save it in a User Mode, if you have that facility), and it'll do it for you
Having tried DCU, if you don't like it, fair enough, but at least give it a try
11-11-2021, 08:53 AM   #49
Pentaxian

I use RawTherapee about 99% of the time. It's open source & free. It has a semi-steep learning curve, but once you figure out how it works, it's as simple as right clicking all images, resetting to default, send to queue, & RawTherapee will automatically apply all noise reduction settings per ISO & whatever else you specify as it batches your RAW files for you. As in ISO 100 & ISO 12800 have totally different noise reduction settings & sharpening that RawTherapee will automatically apply for you. I have a thread that shows you how to use it & even download 64bit Windows builds and/or PP3 files to get you started from the get-go with minimal frustrations. Good stuff.

Next one is Digital Camera Utility 5, otherwise known as PDCU5. It's free. No other RAW converter can match the Pentax colors of PDCU5. Even the Adobe .dcp files that you can use in RawTherapee, DxO, & Lightroom doesn't match the exact Pentax color science. But yeah. Noise reduction & multiple image editing at the same time leaves a lot to be desired. If you don't shoot past ISO 1600, this is probably the best RAW converter you can get that keeps the Pentax colors intact.

If I had to pay for a RAW converter, DxO Photolab would be the only one. It's quite nice. It has some powerful noise reduction settings for super high ISO photos, but like usual, it does come at a cost of processing time & no matter how you slice it & dice it, there are other issues that present themselves in the images, but still look nicer than OOC jpegs. If you learn how to use this one, you'll be able to use RawTherapee quite easily. They almost work the same way.

11-11-2021, 09:02 AM   #50
Closed Account

Another vote for Darktable or Rawtherapee....
11-11-2021, 09:10 AM   #51
Lev
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rpgrimm Quote
I have a Mac.
I use DXO PhotoLab 5.
Another not bad alternative is RAW Power which is designed for MACs and maybe what the Aperture program may have become if Apple continued to support it.
I have been playing around with this photolab and despite being very nice I couldn't find a way to access my dng files on NAS. I usualy do this by pointing to \\nasname in Lightroom and that all. Looks like photolab requires to create a network map to do that.
11-11-2021, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
I have been playing around with this photolab and despite being very nice I couldn't find a way to access my dng files on NAS. I usualy do this by pointing to \\nasname in Lightroom and that all. Looks like photolab requires to create a network map to do that.
Not sure I understand your inability to access your dng files on NAS. I have set up my own photo library (dng files-which is huge number of photos) as I have not been impressed by various programs (photo editing software and DAM programs). I keep my library on my computer and do not use a NAS at present. DXO works well and easily in this situation. Maybe it would be helpful to discuss with the people at DXO. They have always been most helpful when I have had issues in the past. The DXO PhotoLab 5 is an excellent program.

11-11-2021, 01:08 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rpgrimm Quote
Interesting. I hadn't seen RAW Power before.
11-12-2021, 01:24 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducky13 Quote
Hi All,

I've been into digital photography for almost two decades, but have never forayed into the world of post processing beyond making some minor adjustments in the Windows photo app. Off late I have realised that post processing is an important aspect of digital photography so I wanted to at least attempt to learn some basics.

Lightroom seems like the obvious choice as a step-up from the Windows photo app, but I'm not keen on having to subscribe and I don't need help organizing my photos. Hence I was hoping to get some suggestions for alternatives.

I don't mind paying, but nothing too crazy and I'm not keen on a subscription service. I don't need cloud space and would rather have the software installed on my laptop and be able to edit photos saved on my hard drive without uploading them to a cloud. Finally, I'm not looking to make any complex edits like the ones that Photoshop tends to offer.

Looking forward to seeing some suggestions

Thanks,
Ducky
Personally I use Photoshop Elements 2020 (I previously had the 2011 version and upgraded as it came with Adobe Premiere Elements at a very good price). Certainly later issues of software performs better. I utilise this with the 3rd party Elements Plus plug in, which is very cheap, and enhances Elements considerably with a large range of features more in line with the full blown Photoshop. One disadvantage of Elements is that it only processes images in 8 bit - it has limited 16 bit editing. Elements Plus can revert images back to 16 bit after editing in 8 bit, if required. However, unless you process an image to death, 8 bit processing is of no consequence. I submit images in camera club competitions and never had a problem with image quality. I also use an older version of Nik software plug-ins for Elements, which are useful. Affinity Photo has good reviews, can process in 16 bit, but I believe from reviews, certain functions can be a bit slow.
I don't know why people bother with Digital Camera Utility 5, with its minimal editing capabilities and clunky interface. I trust this feedback is of some use.
11-16-2021, 07:01 PM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Ive heard good things about Affinity Photo (more of a Photoshop alternative), plus its only a ~$55 "one time buy" type of deal (no subscription service like Adobe)
Bought it last year but being of a certain age can't fully use it but the available workbook is helpful easy to consult as it is hard copy. Lots of tutorials available and user friendly
11-25-2021, 03:34 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was curious and downloaded trial of DXO PhotoLab 5 (it has PEF for K-3/3 support). I don't know. With all options and stuff I think I still like more what PDCU produced. Even if DXO is easier to use, cause UX of PDCU sucks

DXO:

PDCU:
11-25-2021, 04:39 AM   #57
imr

I am using luminar 3
Got the licence for free sometime ago but it is relatively affordable I think.

It is definitely adequet as a replacement for Lightroom. Every other alternative I tested was lacking something
11-25-2021, 07:10 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can say that the new LR masking capabilities are very strong. I had to use it to mask a Kusama yellow Pumpkin installed in a room that was floor, walls, and ceiling covered in yellow with black polka dots vinyl (adhered). Same color as the Pumpkin, same black dots. LR automatically picked the pumpkin as the subject. Pretty impressive.
11-25-2021, 07:12 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
DXO PhotoLab. There’s a free trial. I went from Lightroom to that.

New DxO PhotoLab 5
Why do you prefer DXO??
11-25-2021, 07:31 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dneira29 Quote
Why do you prefer DXO??
I never liked Lightroom. I found it confusing and results were good but not easy. On top of that Adobe and I got into a pissing match over their billing. I wanted to cancel my subscription before the end of the term (paying yearly) to avoid renewal. They said it was too early to do so. I missed the date by a week. They wouldn’t cancel. I changed cards. They cried foul. I told them to look where the sun doesn’t shine.