Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2021, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Lightroom Alternative

Hi All,

I've been into digital photography for almost two decades, but have never forayed into the world of post processing beyond making some minor adjustments in the Windows photo app. Off late I have realised that post processing is an important aspect of digital photography so I wanted to at least attempt to learn some basics.

Lightroom seems like the obvious choice as a step-up from the Windows photo app, but I'm not keen on having to subscribe and I don't need help organizing my photos. Hence I was hoping to get some suggestions for alternatives.

I don't mind paying, but nothing too crazy and I'm not keen on a subscription service. I don't need cloud space and would rather have the software installed on my laptop and be able to edit photos saved on my hard drive without uploading them to a cloud. Finally, I'm not looking to make any complex edits like the ones that Photoshop tends to offer.

Looking forward to seeing some suggestions

Thanks,
Ducky

11-07-2021, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is editing soft in all Pentax cameras or on included CD: Pentax DCU. Use this. Free, has all Pentax presets included, great piece of software.
11-07-2021, 07:53 AM - 7 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

I like darktable - it's a free open source raw developer. It may not have all the features of Lightroom, but having never used Lightroom myself I don't find them missing. A bit of a learning curve as you figure it out (and having used it for years, I'm still learning!) but that comes with any raw developer.

https://www.darktable.org/
11-07-2021, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am a Mac user , but there is very useful and free WIN software:
FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...

11-07-2021, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Capture One Pro.
11-07-2021, 08:27 AM - 4 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
On1 Photo RAW
11-07-2021, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ive heard good things about Affinity Photo (more of a Photoshop alternative), plus its only a ~$55 "one time buy" type of deal (no subscription service like Adobe)

11-07-2021, 08:35 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

There are certainly alternatives, but just to be clear you can use Lightroom installed on your PC without ever sending anything to the cloud. The "photography plan" ($10/mo) also includes Photoshop itself...
11-07-2021, 08:39 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Well....yes, there are some very capable programs out there (I run a website for one of the free ones, LightZone), and if you like this sort of thing then trying different ones can be fun. I've used several, and from longtime bias I am an Adobe skeptic. But here I have to weigh in with a very hearty vote for Lightroom. I have been forced to use it for a few years for work, and have become impressed. The newest iteration, just out now, has the best available masking for a raw developer.

So, don't just dismiss it out of hand. The subscription model really isn't so onerous, and I now believe it has actually allowed Adobe to better roll out improvements in a more timely fashion.
11-07-2021, 08:47 AM - 3 Likes   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I like darktable - it's a free open source raw developer. It may not have all the features of Lightroom, but having never used Lightroom myself I don't find them missing. A bit of a learning curve as you figure it out (and having used it for years, I'm still learning!) but that comes with any raw developer.

https://www.darktable.org/
+1 Darktable is amazing !!
11-07-2021, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DXO PhotoLab. There’s a free trial. I went from Lightroom to that.

New DxO PhotoLab 5
11-07-2021, 09:25 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you should decide whether you want to use free/open-source software or payware. If free/open-source, you have to take the time to learn whichever you pick because the capable ones are not immediately user-friendly. If payware, you're not going to get anything properly capable without paying proper money. i was frankly horrified at the price quoted recently for an Adobe rival - either subscription or permanent licence. People grumble at the "Adobe Tax" but it really offers remarkable value for money. No, I'm not a subscriber – I'm a long-term old Photoshop version permanent licence holder.

Your choice!
11-07-2021, 09:35 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducky13 Quote
I don't need cloud space and would rather have the software installed on my laptop and be able to edit photos saved on my hard drive without uploading them to a cloud.
Despite the name "Adobe Creative Cloud" which under which the Adobe products like Lightroom/Photoshop/Bridge/Adobe Camera Raw run, you do not need the cloud. There are two versions of Lightroom, LR Classic is the non-cloud based version, although you can still upload images if you want to.

I also think the Photography plan is great value. For £10 month I get LR, Photoshop,, Bridge, Camera Raw, and my own website. Constantly updated.
11-07-2021, 09:35 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I will look into all the suggestions. Really appreciate all the answers.
11-07-2021, 11:22 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since it has not been mentioned, I thought I'd drop RawTherapee here as a free alternative - admittedly it *has* a much steeper learning curve than Lightroom, but it is powerful and I personally feel I get better colours out of it; in fact, lately I've moved away from LR completely.

That said, like Tex, I wholeheartedly agree that the Adobe option is excellent: it takes no time to start getting decent results out of the software, and its spot healing/adjustment brushes are incredibly useful.