Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2021, 06:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Printing on watercolor paper

Has any one tried printing on watercolor paper or other true art media papers.

Just out of curiosity I picked up a pad today of A3 180 g/m2 paper just to see the effects of both the textured and smooth sides, as a potential media for some printing projects I am thinking about.

11-10-2021, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have printed on other than coated stock photo paper, but always with materials from Red River or Moab that have established printer/ink-set ICC profiles. Those are the key to getting expected results and consistent results between sessions. Red River has very good reference materials on the subject. Below is a link to listings on how to use ICC profiles with a number of common tools.

How to use ICC color printer profiles for inkjet printers

Steve
11-10-2021, 06:50 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the Canon fine art paper with my Pro100.
11-10-2021, 06:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've used textured paper intended for printing, but not actual watercolor paper. I think the paper intended for printers with a similar texture would work much better, and be more reliable.

11-10-2021, 07:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have printed on other than coated stock photo paper, but always with materials from Red River or Moab that have established printer/ink-set ICC profiles. Those are the key to getting expected results and consistent results between sessions. Red River has very good reference materials on the subject. Below is a link to listings on how to use ICC profiles with a number of common tools.

How to use ICC color printer profiles for inkjet printers

Steve
Thanks. The article on icc profiles is interesting. My test will be using Corel PSP with Epson ink tank printer

---------- Post added 11-10-21 at 09:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I use the Canon fine art paper with my Pro100.
Not an art paper. I really mean watercolor or charcoal/ Sketch papers. Not papers designed for ink jet printing specifically.
11-10-2021, 08:08 PM   #6

Since art paper is designed to absorb pigment, I would be worried that the inks would blur out.
They might work on a laser jet type printer?
Of course, this is all opinion, with no data to back it up, so it's worth what you paid for it...

11-10-2021, 08:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to all those who replied, I will post my impressions as I test the papers.

I have been thinking along these lines for some time and thought what the heck, for less than $10 per pad it’s not like it is a big hit, and I can always let someone put the remainder to their intended use if I am not happy

11-10-2021, 10:08 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Thanks to all those who replied, I will post my impressions as I test the papers.

I have been thinking along these lines for some time and thought what the heck, for less than $10 per pad it’s not like it is a big hit, and I can always let someone put the remainder to their intended use if I am not happy
The archival question also needs to be asked. How long will the images be color stable?
11-11-2021, 12:39 AM   #9
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I did several prints on classical paper for artists with my Epson SureColor P600 and it works stunning fine with most papers. But you should make individual ICC profiles for each paper and your printer with, for example the xrite i1 studio. Works fine, but I dont know how many years the color will be stable. My prints are looking still good after more than one year. Without the individual ICCs it doesnt look as good.
11-11-2021, 12:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Another consideration may be the formulation of the printer ink, assuming an inkjet.
As I remember, HP use(d) water-based inks but Epson and/or Canon use(d) spirit/alcohol based inks. Other manufacturers I'm unfamiliar with.
This factor could affect the absorbency and consequently the finished result.
11-11-2021, 12:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Printing on watercolor paper
If I remember correctly, I've seen Ilford sells coating that allow to print with inkjet on water color papers. I have no idea how well it works, although I see the benefit: watercolor papers are cheaper than inkjet papers, and unused paper can be repurposed.
I think this here is what I've seen: Creative Emulsion – Ilford | Premium Imaging Products
Maybe worth searching for some tests / reviews available online.
11-11-2021, 05:03 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The archival question also needs to be asked. How long will the images be color stable?
The papers I bought are acid free if that helps
11-11-2021, 05:19 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The papers I bought are acid free if that helps
Honestly it’s not that simple. The inks react with various papers in strange ways as far as long term stability is concerned. Acid free does suggest the paper won’t self deteriorate which is a good idea. Your experiment is interesting, and for casual printing it may work but establishing the color profile and determining if the colors are stable takes a lot of ink and a lot of time.
11-11-2021, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did only one print on Canson Watercolor Aquarelle/Acuarela cold press 12x18" 140lb paper using a Canon Pro-100 a few years back. Don't remember the details about printer settings, although it likely was one of the matte paper settings and I printed on the textured side of the paper. I recall spraying the print with a sealer that I got at the art supply store along with the paper, but don't have the can any longer, so can't say what exactly was used.

I know this doesn't help much, but I did find that it was possible to print on the watercolor paper with the Pro-100 and the print turned out fine. I just didn't care that much for the matte look and never followed through with any further attempts with this paper.

Edit: The print has held up since that time, but it's been kept in a stack of other prints, so it hasn't been exposed to any amount of light.

Last edited by West Penn; 11-11-2021 at 06:40 AM. Reason: adding detail
11-11-2021, 07:11 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Has any one tried printing on watercolor paper or other true art media papers.

Just out of curiosity I picked up a pad today of A3 180 g/m2 paper just to see the effects of both the textured and smooth sides, as a potential media for some printing projects I am thinking about.

Yes, you'll (most likely) love it so long as your printer and inksets do, and that can be hit and miss with uncoated paper(s). Hahnemuhle among others, makes a decent range of inkjet suitable printing papers and used to have sample packs. Don't fear the reaper, just the ink refill costs.