Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2021, 08:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lightroom 6 standalone suddenly wants a password

I have no real need to update my standalone LR 6 as all my cameras and lenses are quite old. When I punched the icon I got a Sign in Required for Trial Software and then a chirpy little bit about how it didn't like my browser or operating system. I did not sign up for a trial version of the new subscription LR as I own Lightroom 6/ Has anyone had this happen to them? All help appreciated.

Additional info - I did look up the .exe and it is my LR version and not a new version, so Adobe has its tentacles into me on this one.

If this goes pear shaped, I think I can find all my raw files having manually moved them once four years ago. So this is what I'm wondering if worst comes to worst

If I get a LR subscription (I think this may even be free through my school) will it find my photos and updates or am I going to have to manually load all of them? I've never been clear about just what and where LR stores images and edits and dealing with the Cloud is probably not going to be as simple as dealing with my own file systems.

Has anyone had any experience moving LR raws to Capture One? This is my likely alternative if the Adobe move proves too hard.

Last edited by kernos; 12-11-2021 at 09:14 PM.
12-11-2021, 09:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This may help.

Solved: Lightroom 6 installation trouble - Adobe Support Community - 9869601
12-11-2021, 09:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I no longer have the activation key for this software, so a reload is not going to work for me. All my best finished photos are on my flickr and youpic websites, so at least that work isn't lost. I think I can find the actual raw files on my computer and move them manually and in my current mood with Adobe it probably won't be to Lightroom CC.
12-11-2021, 10:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Adobe system uses non-destructive editing. The XMP sidecar files are needed along with the raw files to show your edits from the raw. Any exported jpg is also an option if no further processing is needed.

12-11-2021, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The Adobe system uses non-destructive editing. The XMP sidecar files are needed along with the raw files to show your edits from the raw. Any exported jpg is also an option if no further processing is needed.
Thanks, I sorta knew this wasn't going to be easy. I'm thinking that the logical thing to do is just start over with a clean slate on a new platform and if I really need something to dive into the raws.
12-11-2021, 10:15 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kernos Quote
Thanks, I sorta knew this wasn't going to be easy. I'm thinking that the logical thing to do is just start over with a clean slate on a new platform and if I really need something to dive into the raws.
I’m a DXO photolab fan myself. Adobe annoyed me and I told them to get stuffed.
12-11-2021, 11:03 PM   #7

Did you have to create an Adobe account to register the software? If so, login to the account and look up your serial number under My Products..

Also it appears the registration / license number is stored on Windows in
C:\Users\[Your username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom
Mac it would be in one the /Users/[username]/ folders somewhere.
Look for a file with the name containing "Ligtroom" and "registration" and edit the file in a text editor. The serial number should be in there.

It's possible the file got deleted or corrupted and all you need to do is restore it from a backup.

The other possibility is Adobe's license server is acting up or Adobe dropped license support of the product.

12-12-2021, 03:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Adobe has dropped support of CS6. If you do upgrade Lightroom Classic you will be able to easily import your new photos with the existing sidecar xmp edit files from their existing locations on your hard drive. You would have 2 versions of lightroom, the Cloud one and The Classic one. Using the cloud version isn't necessary if one chooses not to use it. I dont so I only work with Lightroom classic. The newer version no longer creates visible xmp files unless one chooses to create them as they aren't necessary any longer. With the subscription model one also receives the newest version of Photoshop which is easily accessed through Lightroom and that combination I find very useful. I have used both for many years now and I am at the point with this combination for photo editing I dont need Topaz or most of those type plug-ins any longer as I find I can achieve the same looks on my own.
12-12-2021, 05:06 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes , I have the same situation with my CS6 Extended , can not use it , I will just uninstall it.
But my Light Room 5.7.1 ( the original , stand alone , few years old ) is still OK , I am running it on my all 3 Macs.
12-12-2021, 05:18 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, My CS6 went to a similar problem sometime ago too. Now I am on CC.

If I get a LR subscription (I think this may even be free through my school) will it find my photos and updates or am I going to have to manually load all of them? I've never been clear about just what and where LR stores images and edits and dealing with the Cloud is probably not going to be as simple as dealing with my own file systems...
I think we can not get only LR subscription, we will have to just buy a CC subscription and LR Classic will be in there to install along with other software.
I am not really sure how LR works too. First, I think I know how it works, then I am not really sure, so I just stop using it and go with Bridge + CameraRaw instead. CC subscription has LightRoom Classic, if you already have the subscription via your school, it won't hurt to try to install the CC LightRoom Classic. I would guess it can automatically find your photos. My 2 cents

Last edited by tokyoscape; 12-12-2021 at 05:52 AM.
12-12-2021, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Did you have to create an Adobe account to register the software? If so, login to the account and look up your serial number under My Products..

Also it appears the registration / license number is stored on Windows in
C:\Users\[Your username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom
Mac it would be in one the /Users/[username]/ folders somewhere.
Look for a file with the name containing "Ligtroom" and "registration" and edit the file in a text editor. The serial number should be in there.

It's possible the file got deleted or corrupted and all you need to do is restore it from a backup.

The other possibility is Adobe's license server is acting up or Adobe dropped license support of the product.
The issue is that I had to create an Adobe school account (I am a very odd 71 year old college student at UMd). I think this is where things went awry as I no longer remember what my original
Adobe login was or it was lost in the crush.

---------- Post added 12-12-21 at 09:06 AM ----------

Ok, I can by for $115 a full version of the last standalone, non CC, LR on CD. I'm thinking it might be worth the risk and give me some time to eventually replace LR in the long run. Does anyone have any idea if I can access my old catalogue with this or if I'm going to run into the jaws of Adobe's security system? It would be great to salvage my old edits and data structure but I'd like to get an idea if there is a risk none of this will work.

---------- Post added 12-12-21 at 09:25 AM ----------

Ok, my general lack of organization may have saved me on this one. I did find my serial number/activation key after logging in, but the installer is no longer available from Adobe. I dug through my downloads on the outside chance that my LR download from 4 years ago would still be there and yeah verily it was. I reloaded it and gave it the serial number and thought I was a goner when it said that I needed to deactivate some computer that already had it. So I closed and clicked the Lightroom icon and it came up with all my photos. I still think this is the gods telling me I need to do something about this subscription, but at the moment I'm back in business. Thanks so much for all your helpful hints.
12-12-2021, 07:38 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The issue is that I had to create an Adobe school account (I am a very odd 71 year old college student at UMd). I think this is where things went awry as I no longer remember what my original
Adobe login was or it was lost in the crush.

---------- Post added 12-12-21 at 09:06 AM ----------

Ok, I can by for $115 a full version of the last standalone, non CC, LR on CD. I'm thinking it might be worth the risk and give me some time to eventually replace LR in the long run. Does anyone have any idea if I can access my old catalogue with this or if I'm going to run into the jaws of Adobe's security system? It would be great to salvage my old edits and data structure but I'd like to get an idea if there is a risk none of this will work.
You should be fine on your old catalog, but I would copy it to another location first so that a new installation doesn't overwrite it. Before purchasing I would definitely try to find the activation code as Not a Number stated above.
12-12-2021, 07:39 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I need to do something about this subscription, but at the moment I'm back in business.
Get your files copied somewhere else (outside of the Adobe universe!) ASAP!

(I am a very odd 71 year old college student at UMd)
Join the club - I took 3 photo courses here at NAU a few years back, in my mid-60s. The comparably-aged instructor and I got along very well, and I eventually got drafted to teach a few sections of Intro to Digital Photography! He knew I had been a professor of physics and astronomy elsewhere, so I guess he figured I knew how to run a class, and knew enough about photography to do an acceptable job on that! So watch out.
12-12-2021, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
Yeah, My CS6 went to a similar problem sometime ago too. Now I am on CC.

I think we can not get only LR subscription, we will have to just buy a CC subscription and LR Classic will be in there to install along with other software.
I am not really sure how LR works too. First, I think I know how it works, then I am not really sure, so I just stop using it and go with Bridge + CameraRaw instead. CC subscription has LightRoom Classic, if you already have the subscription via your school, it won't hurt to try to install the CC LightRoom Classic. I would guess it can automatically find your photos. My 2 cents
You would most likely want to get the Photography plan and not the CC plan, the Photography plan cost half of what CC does, and still included LR Classic and Photoshop and several other apps. Less online storage, which I don't care about.
12-12-2021, 09:47 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you for your help and yes getting backed up on a four year old system is something I do need to do asap. In the meantime, after I finish a term paper I believe I will try Capture One as a trial. I want to see if I can improve some of my best photos.