Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2008, 12:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PPL conversion questions...

I had never used Pentax Photo Lab, it just seemed easier to convert RAW files using the slick Bridge-PS3 interface. And I assumed it didn't matter what converter was used, that conversion was conversion was conversion and they'd all look the same.

However, I just tried auto conversion in PPL and ACR on the same image , and damned if the PPL conversions don't vary by in-camera settings and both vary from the ACR auto conversion. What's going on? I thought except for WB, in RAW in-camera settings were ignored? But PPL uses them doesn't? And ACR applies settings different from the PPL (brightness, etc) but doesn't use the in-camera settings?

Brian (FHPhotographer)

Samples below:
#1, PPL with 000 settings

#2, PPL with -2 Saturation, +1 Sharpness and Contrast

#3 ACR

12-08-2008, 06:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe the in camera settings are used as the "default conversion" setting in Photolab.
12-08-2008, 07:32 AM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Another difference is the color profile applied to the conversion. The color profile corrects for camera model specific colorcasts. Adobe develops their own profile for the Pentax models. For some models they also provide access to the Pentax profile.
12-08-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OP response

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Another difference is the color profile applied to the conversion. The color profile corrects for camera model specific colorcasts. Adobe develops their own profile for the Pentax models. For some models they also provide access to the Pentax profile.
I think you and Wheatfield are correct. Trying another set, I can now see that the Pentax "tone" is also part of the PPL default, i.e., the second image above with the in-camera settings of -2,+1 +1 is different in bright than in natural.

When you add in-camera WB, plus the three image settings modified by two tone curves, there is a significant range of RAW files in PPL that doesn't show up in "auto" ACR.

So, this equals in-camera jpeg settings control with the benefit of all the RAW data? There's probably some eteranl debate here about controlling the image in-camera or post-processing.

Thanks for the feedback,
Brian

12-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
... And I assumed it didn't matter what converter was used, that conversion was conversion was conversion and they'd all look the same...
Actually, they look very different if you use their default settings. PPL is quite powerful in terms of raw conversion. I like the colors from PPL although its user interface is not as good as others.
12-08-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

I have been trying to figure this one out for a while now. I agree with Ole, wheatfield and ddhytz.
It DOES matter a lot which RAW conversion program do you use! I was comparing following:
K10D in camera JPEG
PPL bright and natural separately
ACR from CS3
and ACR from Lightroom 2!
I like the colours best from the PPL in bright but all settings zeroed! Lightroom 2 comes pretty close and has MUCH better interface. As for CS3, I could never get good looking picture from it's ACR.
It's a propper maze to navigate, but once you'll find what suits you best it's going to get much easier...
good luck