Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2021, 05:16 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
I could post my long linage of computer history back at you and working with some pretty darn well known people in the industry but personally I dont think that pertinent to this thread.. You spouted off trying to dispel something I mentioned that was factually happening and does happen and the good ole boys jumped in.. Just because something doesn't happen with your computers doesn't mean it doesn't happen dude....now you gents ticked me off which I was willing to let it drop.
The reason I use Macs is because I'm too involved in other things to care about what's in my computer. It works or it doesn't. If it doesn't work I get something that does. You don't have to know what's under your hood to drive a car.

The thing I learned in this thread was about hyper threading, why my core 4 shows 8 processors. Strangely, I didn't learn it from the self proclaimed genius. This is nice to know information, not need to know.

Anyway back to the thread:, bottom line, get the best you can afford.
Find out what other people who do what you do and investigate.
Try and find some real bench marks if you are interested maxing things out.

So the answer remains , get the i7 if you can afford it. But don't stress yourself to get it. Which was the simple answer right off the top. Try and make sure the rest of the system is built to take advantage of it.

The i7 in my 10 year old iMac still flies, but the sub-systems are deficient by modern standards.

Last edited by gatorguy; 12-27-2021 at 08:26 AM.
12-27-2021, 06:02 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

So the answer remains , get the i7 if you can afford it. But don't stress yourself to get it. Which was the simple answer right off the top. Try and make sure the rest of the system is built to take advantage of it.

The i7 in my 10 year old iMac still flies, but the sub-systems are deficient by modern standards.

Getting the i7 was my initial thinking but then I saw that the i5 version was on sale. Did a google and seems like imaging software do not take advantage of the extra capabilities of the i7 processor (?). According to laptop magazine i7 is only 6% faster than i5; that doesn't seem to be a make or break it difference in performance. Or...?

Is this really significant (first row i5)?:

PCMark 10
PCMark 10 total score 4 353 4 741
PCMark 10 Essentials score 8 937 9 566
PCMark 10 Productivity score 6 057 6 587
PCMark 10 Digital Content Creation score 4 162 4 602

Produsent CPU Intel Intel
Prosessortype
Intel Core i5 Intel Core i7
Nummer
11500T 11700T
Prosessorgenerasjon
11. gen 11. gen
Antall prosessorkjerner 6 8
Hastighet (GHz) 1,50 1,40

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 12-27-2021 at 06:22 AM.
12-27-2021, 06:46 AM   #33
Pentaxian

When I use my lap top when on the road (i5 processor) it's bit slower but I don't suffer much doing quick and dirty processing. I've had my older systems archiving thousands of files and transferring files onto faster drives. Setting up the Mac mini with the M1 can literally save hours. The speed difference isn't that much, until it is, and as far as I can tell, the upgrade to USB3 is worth more than the difference between i5 and i7 in terms of every day use,
12-27-2021, 06:59 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Getting the i7 was my initial thinking but then I saw that the i5 version was on sale. Did a google and seems like imaging software do not take advantage of the extra capabilities of the i7 processor (?). According to laptop magazine i7 is only 6% faster than i5; that doesn't seem to be a make or break it difference in performance. Or...?

Is this really significant (first row i5)?:

PCMark 10
PCMark 10 total score 4 353 4 741
PCMark 10 Essentials score 8 937 9 566
PCMark 10 Productivity score 6 057 6 587
PCMark 10 Digital Content Creation score 4 162 4 602

Produsent CPU Intel Intel
Prosessortype
Intel Core i5 Intel Core i7
Nummer
11500T 11700T
Prosessorgenerasjon
11. gen 11. gen
Antall prosessorkjerner 6 8
Hastighet (GHz) 1,50 1,40
Interesting, that's the same site that 10 years go told me the i7 was 60% faster than the i3. Things change.

Last edited by normhead; 12-27-2021 at 07:06 AM.
12-27-2021, 02:39 PM   #35

QuoteQuote:
Myth: Disabling the Page File Improves Performance

Some people will tell you that you should disable the page file to speed up your computer. The thinking goes like this: the page file is slower than RAM, and if you have enough RAM, Windows will use the page file when it should be using RAM, slowing down your computer.

This isn’t really true. People have tested this theory and found that, while Windows can run without a page file if you have a large amount of RAM, there’s no performance benefit to disabling the page file.

However, disabling the page file can result in some bad things. If programs start to use up all your available memory, they’ll start crashing instead of being swapped out of the RAM into your page file. This can also cause problems when running software that requires a large amount of memory, such as virtual machines. Some programs may even refuse to run.

In summary, there’s no good reason to disable the page file — you’ll get some hard drive space back, but the potential system instability won’t be worth it.
What Is the Windows Page File, and Should You Disable It?
12-28-2021, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
They are both 11. generation. Apart from the CPU the machines are totally identical; HP Pavillion 27 all in one. .One (i5) is on special offer until the 10. of january. The one with i7 is not. Explaining the large price difference.
The 11th gen i7's were taking a lot of heat from reviewers compared to 10th gen's. One called it a waste of sand. So I would likely go with either the i5, or find a 10th gen i7 system (possibly used), depending on price and other options. 12 gen Intels are getting pretty good reviews too, so you may want to consider waiting for one of them.

If your primary use is for photo editing, you won't need the latest and greatest, simply because you aren't putting a constant strain on the system. I'm using an i5-8400 (8th gen) and GTX 1060 3GB, and don't notice much lag when waiting for previews to update. Topaz DeNoise is my most intense editing program and takes about 20 seconds to export a 24MP image.
12-28-2021, 12:25 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just got my Dell XPS 15 with an i9 processor...the speed increase is very noticeable in all of my processing.

05-29-2022, 06:18 AM   #38
dlhawes

I think what you really need to think about is the video processing card. Get one of those big ones with fans on it that takes up two bays and has its own power cord. That's where the most work is done, and will be your biggest bottleneck. Having as much RAM as you can get is critical, as well.
05-29-2022, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #39
dlhawes

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I put my swap file on the SSD and make it much bigger than it will ever need to be and set it for manual management, so lag time due to paging is minimized, as well as the blips that occur when the system decides it needs to enlarge or shrink the file.