Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2022, 02:57 PM - 9 Likes   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I "upgraded" my laptop to Windows 11 last night, and...

... so far, everything's working just fine. Tested:

Lightroom 6 stand-alone
RawTherapee 5.8
Darktable 3.8.0
GIMP 2.10.30
Pentax DCU 5.9.3
... and a bunch of other photography-related apps...

All working as expected

Boot-up time on my Lenovo Legion 5 17IMH05H seems just ever-so-slightly longer than with Windows 10, but once logged in the OS feels a bit snappier than 10. Web browsing, in particular, feels more responsive... I don't think I'm imagining it; I was fully prepared to dislike it and revert to Win10 if necessary.

My laptop is set up for dual boot with Windows and Ubuntu MATE 20.04 LTS, and I still prefer using the latter much of the time... but so far, Windows 11 seems very nice, and very logical to use. I rather like it

01-26-2022, 03:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I’ve never owned a laptop that was good enough to justify paying for a operating system upgrade.
Glad it’s working well for you.
01-26-2022, 03:26 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
I’ve never owned a laptop that was good enough to justify paying for a operating system upgrade.
Glad it’s working well for you.
Thanks I didn't pay for the upgrade... it's free to existing Win10 users, and my Lenovo came with Win 10 Pro installed. If I'd had to pay, I would probably have stayed with 10, as it did everything I needed. My laptop is my main PC for day-to-day use, so it's a fairly decent spec machine. My older Lenovo M72e Tiny desktop isn't on the compatible list for 11, so that will continue to run Win 10 / Ubuntu dual-boot... plus I have an older, very basic Dell 3180 "beater" laptop on which I only run Ubuntu...
01-26-2022, 03:32 PM   #4
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
My laptop is set up for dual boot with Windows and Ubuntu MATE 20.04 LTS, and I still prefer using the latter much of the time... but so far, Windows 11 seems very nice, and very logical to use. I rather like it
How do you share images between the two OSs? As simple as a separate partition or HD or can each OS delve into each others' files?.
The reason I ask is I exclusively use Linux but run a virtual windows XP within as an app for printing and am looking for options thinking forward.

01-26-2022, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
How do you share images between the two OSs? As simple as a separate partition or HD or can each OS delve into each others' files?.
The reason I ask is I exclusively use Linux but run a virtual windows XP within as an app for printing and am looking for options thinking forward.
I believe it's possible for both OS' to mount the other's drives (though I'm not certain), but I use separate partitions or drives. On my "modern" laptop, I have a second SSD which is purely for data. It's formatted as NTFS and is automatically mounted, readable and writable by both Windows and Ubuntu. On my older desktop machines (with just one SSD a piece) I have a dedicated NTFS partition for data. I also have a virtual encrypted drive set up in each of my NTFS drives and partitions for private / sensitive data, and use VeraCrypt under Windows and Ubuntu to access that when needed...
01-26-2022, 03:48 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Linux would be able to read the windows volumes without issue. However in your case you would want to share a directory with the XP VM. I do this with my desktop where I converted my old Win7 install into a VM and if using VirtualBox the shared directory appears as a network drive in the Windows VM so I would imagine it would work the same for an XP VM.
01-26-2022, 04:01 PM   #7
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
However in your case you would want to share a directory with the XP VM.
Yeah I do. And drag images for printing onto the XP desktop where Picasa picks them up. It works fine but there will come a time that my next printer won't be useable on XP. Hopefully by then the printers will be more compatible with Linux.

01-26-2022, 04:07 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah I do. And drag images for printing onto the XP desktop where Picasa picks them up. It works fine but there will come a time that my next printer won't be useable on XP. Hopefully by then the printers will be more compatible with Linux.
Out of curiosity, what linux distro and printer are you using?
01-26-2022, 04:19 PM   #9
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

LTR Ubuntu. The printer is a Canon A3+ ip8760. The Linux drivers (cups?) last time I used them were not good enough for what I want in my amateur art work and also using them partially (for office work) seems to mess with the xp drivers when in virtual xp.
01-26-2022, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

... so far, everything's working just fine. Tested:

Lightroom 6 stand-alone
RawTherapee 5.8
Darktable 3.8.0
GIMP 2.10.30
Pentax DCU 5.9.3
... and a bunch of other photography-related apps...

All working as expected

Boot-up time on my Lenovo Legion 5 17IMH05H seems just ever-so-slightly longer than with Windows 10, but once logged in the OS feels a bit snappier than 10. Web browsing, in particular, feels more responsive... I don't think I'm imagining it; I was fully prepared to dislike it and revert to Win10 if necessary.

Good to hear Mike. When I'm sure Autodesk will run OK, I'll move to Win11. What's the main differences between Win10 and Win11 you've found so far?
01-26-2022, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had the Windows installer icon in my tray for a few days now…. Wasn’t sure if I wanted to pull the trigger for minor window dressing changes. I run a Ryzen chip and apparently there is performance decrease (as much as 15%!!) so I am holding off to hear more feedback like this. Thanks for sharing.
01-26-2022, 06:25 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My Lenovo E590 i7 was also upgraded yesterday. I wonder if the MS upgrade algorithm has now reached late model Lenovos. No problems with the operating system itself but I've lost all my Windows 10 start menu pinned URLs and pinned apps. It's an odd oversight for an upgrade. Nevertheless happy with the way it's operating.
Lenovo laptops are also good for hardware upgrades with vacant slots. I added an additional 1TB ssd card and an extra 8gb RAM quite easily. YouTube has plenty of how-to vids and I'm not a techy person.
01-26-2022, 08:08 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very cool. I have thought about trying win11 on my workhorse desktop, but for now I'm keeping Win10 since it is still supported (until 2025 I think) and does everything I need. I have an old laptop that I run Linux Mint on, and a slightly newer laptop that has Win8 native but has since been upgraded to Win10. I should really put in an SSD an more RAM to wake that beast up...
01-27-2022, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I "upgraded" my laptop to Windows 11 last night, and...
and the installation took longer than planned and you had to go to bed due to being very tired?
That happened every time I installed a new OS. So far, I've denied Win11 instal.
01-27-2022, 12:29 AM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
and the installation took longer than planned and you had to go to bed due to being very tired?
That happened every time I installed a new OS. So far, I've denied Win11 instal.
It wasn't too bad, actually - perhaps a couple of hours; maybe a little more or less (I didn't time it). I seem to recall starting the upgrade around 9pm with the intention of letting it run overnight, but it completed before I went to bed, well before midnight. For most of that time I was able to continue using the PC, and whilst browsing was slower while downloads were in progress, it was mostly fine. I used the Windows 11 Installation Assistant, which I've read is faster than upgrading via the system's "Check for Updates" function...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-27-2022 at 02:53 AM.